main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How many planets in TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Palpatine77, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    When Revenge of the Sith released 10 years ago, I took note at the time that it had the most planets shown of any film to date in the Star Wars saga. By my count there were 10 different planets shown in that film (Coruscant, Utapau, Mygeeto, Felucia, Cato Neimodia, Saleucami, Kashyyyk, Mustafar, Naboo and Tatooine, not counting Polis Massa which was just an asteroid by my count). And if I'm missing something there please call me on it.

Even when a group of new sequels was announced, I still suspected that record number of planets would still hold for awhile.

Which leads me into The Force Awakens. So how many planets are actually shown in this film? I'm hoping to gain a clear answer here.

We start with Jakku, where the bulk of the early film centers. Later we're introduced to the Starkiller Base, which destroys five separate planets in the Hosnian System that are important to the Republic. Five separate planets are destroyed all at once by Starkiller Base, bringing the total up to six. But, since Starkiller Base has been built into a planet itself, that counts as a planet too, so we're actually up to seven planets now. Han travels to Takodana to find safe passage for BB8 which takes us to 8 planets (hey, BB8 on 8!). Then we find General Leia and the Resistance group located on D'Quar, bringing us to 9 planets. Then Rey travels to an unnamed (in the film anyway) planet to find Luke Skywalker, which brings us to 10. Hey, we just tied Revenge of the Sith!

Ok, so we have 10 confirmed planets, same as Revenge of the Sith. Oh, wait, I forgot, in Rey's vision we briefly see the corridor that Luke faced Vader in on Cloud City, or Bespin. That's 11! We've already beaten Revenge of the Sith's planetary number no problem. Yet, having seen the movie twice now, I think we could possibly still be dealing with a couple more planets to the list. And as I'm working off memory from just two viewings so far, this is where things get iffy and I could use some help.

In her vision Rey briefly sees Luke near a nighttime campfire, his Jedi hood over his face, putting his hand on R2. Where exactly is this planet? Somewhere familiar, or somewhere new? I suspect this might have been where Luke was training his Jedi trainees? I have no idea. We also see Kylo Ren and his Knights of Ren disciples in the rain, but the terrain is so generic and muddy that it could be anywhere in the galaxy. It might have been the same planet that Luke was training his students on, but I can't be sure. The bodies suggest it might have been the same location as Luke's Jedi Academy. I don't remember if any other locales were shown beyond that, but if you have another to add please do so.

So we have 11 confirmed, and probably one more where Luke did his training if it isn't one of the planets depicted elsewhere in the film. Do you think I'm right in calling 12 different planets, or are you coming up with a different number?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Jakku, Takodana, Hosnian Prime (briefly), D'qar, Starkiller Base..

We dont actually see other planets.. how they look like etc..

whostheBossk and Shamear like this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    luke's planet.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  4. DoubleDipDelish

DoubleDipDelish Jedi Knight

Nov 27, 2014
    You missed Naboo (Padme's funeral) in Episode III.

5. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Ah yes.. forgot about that

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. Palpatine77

Jun 28, 2010

I mentioned Luke's planet in my post.

7. Palpatine77

Jun 28, 2010

Was Naboo shown in the vision? It went by so quickly that I must have missed that. I will keep my eyes peeled for my 3rd viewing.

8. DoubleDipDelish

DoubleDipDelish Jedi Knight

Nov 27, 2014

No, I mean you left Naboo out of your tally of Revenge of the Sith planets.

9. Palpatine77

Jun 28, 2010

Ouch! You're right! I knew I should have spent another minute thinking about it. Yes, Naboo was shown in ROTS. I will make the correction in my original post, thanks for correcting me.

10. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    In order of appearance. Correct me if there are any mistakes. :)

Episode I - Tha Phantom Menace
    1. Naboo
    2. Tatooine
    3. Coruscant
    Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    1. Coruscant
    2. Naboo
    3. Kamino
    4. Tatooine
    5. Geonosis
    Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
    1. Coruscant
    2. Utapau
    3. Kashyyyk
    4. Mygeeto - Order 66 Sequence
    5. Felucia - Order 66 Sequence
    6. Cato Neimoidia - Order 66 Sequence
    7. Saleucami - Order 66 Sequence
    8. Mustafar
    9. Polis Massa (Asteroid Facility)
    10. Naboo
    11. Alderaan
    12. Tatooine
    Episode IV - A New Hope
    1. Tatooine
    2. Death Star (Space Station)
    3. Yavin 4
    Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    1. Hoth
    2. Dagobah
    3. Bespin (Cloud City)
    Episode VI - Return of the Jedi
    1. Tatooine
    2. Dagobah
    3. Endor
    4. Bespin (Cloud City) - Victory Celebration Sequence
    5. Coruscant - Victory Celebration Sequence
    6. Naboo - Victory Celebration Sequence
    Episode VII - The Force Awakens
    1. Jakku
    2. Takodana
    3. Starkiller Base
    4. Hosnian Prime - Annihilation Sequence
    5. D'Qar
    6. Luke Skywalker's Unnamed Planet
    So that's 6 planets shown in TFA, but I'd say only 4 are really prominent (Jakku, Takodana, Starkiller, D'Qar). Revenge of the Sith has 11 proper planets, but it also has "only" 4 prominent ones in Coruscant, Utapau, Kashyyyk and Mustafar. So while RotS still has the most amount of planets, I'd say that Attack of the Clones has the highest amount that are really prominent in the movie, which are basically all 5 planets that we see.

BTW, I didn't count Alderaan in ANH because we don't see its surface.

whostheBossk, RavagerFish and Shamear like this.
  11. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    1 Jakku
    2 Takodana
    3 Bespin in flashback.
    4 Unnamed planet where the killing of Skywalker students take place in flashback
    5 Starkiller base
    6 Hosnian Prime, plus four unknown planets in the system
    7 D'Qar
    8 Angorathea

By my count, twelve planets are shown.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Huh?

13. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    So, 8? Unless one planet gets demoted like Pluto.

14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Are you counting only the planets that our characters walk on? Doesn't this include the other planets that for blowed up real good but we saw them only from outer space?

15. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I am talking about the planets that get blow up as well, plus the two flashbacks, there might be another in the flashback but I am unsure. Read number 6.
    Then add them, you know like 1+1=4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.