main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How many Prequel-specific species in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    So I'm hoping this won't become another debate over the flaws of the PT, but I thought it'd make for an interesting topic of conversation...

What are some aliens specific to the Prequels you think we'll see in the ST? To a lot of young kids these days, the Prequel Era (both the trilogy and perhaps even more so The Clone Wars) is "their Star Wars," so I doubt they'll ignore it entirely.

I'm inclined to believe that if we do see any PT aliens, they will be more practical ones and less all-CG creations since we know how much they seem to be pushing the practical effects with Ep VII.

PT Species I think we could see in the ST...
    -Nautolan (Kit Fisto seems like a fan favorite. I wouldn't be surprised to see the species of some popular PT Jedi, hence most of this list...)
    -Kel Dor (Plo Koon)
    -Cerean (Ki-Adi-Mundi)
    -Iktotchi (Saesee Tiin)
    -Togruta (Shaak Ti, Ahsoka Tano)
    -Zabrak (Darth Maul, Eeth Koth, Agen Kolar)
    -Chagrian (Mas Amedda)
    -Pau'an

PT Species I would be surprised to see in the ST...
    -Gungans
    -Kaminoans
    -Geonosians
    -Toydarians
    -Dugs
    -Muun
    -Neimodians (practical, yes, but they come with controversy baggage)

I imagine most PT things would be relegated to easter eggs in the background or verbal mentions, and the main elements will be either new creations or derivative of the OT. What do you think?

2. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Since even RotS came out ten years ago, for young kids, star wars is either the clone wars or the legends stuff. Zabraks are likely I'd say, but I would also bet on dugs. We have the mo-cap god on board after all.

3. Jamie1001

Jamie1001 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 16, 2014
    I definitely want to see Nautolans, Zabraks and Togruta.

theonesith likes this.
  4. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I honestly just have an aversion to Gungans, Dugs, and Muuns. And the cone-heads. The others I'm neutral on, or I liked a lot (like the Nautolans and Zabraks). If I had to choose one that I want to see in the movie and one I didn't, I would like to see more Zabraks, and I hope we never see the cartoon-faced Muuns ever again. I flipped out when I heard that Darth Plagueis was a Muun.

There will be a lot of one-off background shot characters, but the question is whether they'll use a Prequel specific alien for a main character. I don't think they'll use any of the entirely CG aliens, if they do choose one for a main character.

Dewback and KitsterAKABobaFett like this.
  5. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    As someone who has a certain amount of distaste for CG characters, the best prequel creature/character to me personally was Watto. The way he was designed/animated made him strangely believable (to me he had a lot more realism than the digital Yoda).

I'd be up for another Toydarian character/cameo.

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm totally down for any of those.

7. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    For visual continuity's sake, I would be happy to see all of them along with new species, too.

8. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    This topic made me think of something - in Ep III Luke and Leia are born on Polis Massa but the Polis Massans don't get much of a look in. I doubt whether the story in the ST would need to go back there though and the writers wouldn't really think of bringing those aliens back.

Since Togrutas got more widely known with the Clone Wars though, that may be a species that gets featured, maybe as a single character - more prominent than Shaak Ti ever was.

The appearance of some existing species may be down to the illustators and designers initially, more than the director though - ie the artists may choose to draw things that including those species and JJ might like it and put them in the film, even though it wasn't something he requested or specifically put in the script.

9. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I completely enjoyed Watto and feel that's the way CG should be done. I would welcome Toydarians in the ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I want a Kel-Dor. I mean, seriously. There has to be a Kel-Dor in the ST. A Nautolan, too. But mainly a Kel-Dor.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sprinkle all of them here and there in the background of the ST just for continuity's sake.

12. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I think it's enough with all those nostalgic cameos... Hopefully EP7 will feature new and fresh species.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Given that Andy Serkis is a part of the cast, I think all bets are off as to what we will or won't see. From a story standpoint, I can't see a reason why we'd see Kaminoans, Dugs or Geonosians.

If the story makes a return to Naboo, which is possible if Luke and Leia have or are looking to connect to their past, it's possible we'll see at least a couple of Gungans. If this happens, I'd expect them to get some kind of general upgrade in how they're presented, which is to say, we won't see any Jar-Jar type Gungans.

While I like how Watto was presented, at least as a CGI character, I don't know if we need to see any more Toydarians.

It's a coin toss on whether or not we'll see any Muun. It depends on whether or not Plagueis is going to be a part of the story and if so how they choose to portray him. As a Muun or retcon him as a Human given that the EU is now Legends and not canon.

14. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Similar to the 'CGI or Practical' thread... I think, and hope, they'll be a mix of both existing trilogies, plus of course the new. However, as JJ seems to have more of a penchant for the OT, I'd expect to see (understandibly so) updated Hammerheads and Sullustans (is Nien Nunb a Sullustan?) before Geonosians and Neimodians etc.

15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    As a few others have said, I would like to see most of the PT species (and a few of the Clone Wars introduced species) sprinkled in the backgrounds - especially in urban/spaceport areas that are likely to have a broad mix of species - for as much visual continuity as possible. It would be fun to have at least one PT-era alien as a main-ish character. I would love to see another Toydarian.

This is actually one of the things I worry about with Abrams saying he wants to make a more OT feeling film. I personally don't want to see something like Empire where nearly everyone is human. My favorite OT scenes are the cantina and Jabba's palace and I loved similar scenes in the PT - just for the diversity that they showed. I hope to see lots more of that side of the galaxy in the ST.

16. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I could see a toydarian or a dugg walking around Tatoonie, but I am not sure if they would do that.

17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    They did insert a Dug into Jabba's palace on the Blu Ray release.

And as far as the Toydarians, I want to see a really really old Watto in EP7. I want to see Chewie go for some spare parts, get into an argument with Watto and threaten to pull his wings out of their sockets.

18. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    I think any of them are up for grabs, especially if there is a Senate scene of some kind. EXCEPT FOR GUNGANS. :) I just bet JJ won't go there.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I think prequel aliens should be kept to a minimum. We saw almost none of them in the OT, right? If you add them to the ST, it creates a continuity goof.

loki41872 likes this.
  20. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    I would love to see Watto again on Tatooine, if he's still alive. Or if not just another Toydarian. Not bothered either way about the others.

But please, no Gungans. [face_sick]

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have no problem seeing aliens from the PT in the ST, but I would like to see some new aliens as well.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  22. loki41872

loki41872 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    I say none. Or maybe a cameo in the background. Somebody already said it, but having a Species that was seen in the PT, then not the ST suddenly show up again in the ST would be a "Losing suspension of disbelief" moment.

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It may cause some to lose suspension of disbelief but I doubt the majority of folks seeing the films would have any major issues with pt aliens showing up in some form or fashion.

24. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I want to see a Quermian and a Thisspiasian. Maybe an Anx.

25. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I hope we are going to see a lot of new alien species mixed races from the previous 6 movies

I'm hoping Abrams doesn't just use them in a background or crowd scenes but takes every opportunity to use alien characters in speaking roles, etc.

No it doesn't.

That is like saying there can't be any Wookies in the ST besides Chewbacca because Chewbacca was the only Wookie in OT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.