main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How many stars do you predict you'll give TFA next week?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DebonaireNerd, Dec 9, 2015.

?

How many stars?

1. Jar Jar Binks

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  2. One

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Two

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Three

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Four

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  6. Five

30 vote(s)
    39.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I tried backtracking to see if there was a thread for this but I couldn't find one. Plus, we no longer have a search function, so apologies in advance for the duplicate thread.

How satisfied will you be with TFA? Simply vote and then check back after you've seen the film, discuss your findings after. Were your expectations met? Did you over estimate your love of the film? Did it exceed your best wishes?

Vote wisely, you may only vote once.

Very late edit to thread:

I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-star-wars-will-change-846918

Have a good read of the article and take note on everything it predicts. Although it doesn't strictly look to the artistic, creative and spiritual merit of the story or the overall movie experience, the predictions made in this article no doubt will be reflected in the star rating (in terms of its overall score, not celebrity "star) it is awarded across the board.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    4/5!

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm hoping to give it Jar Jar Binks/5. That means 6, right?

Import_Jedi and JEDI-RISING like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    4 for me.

I'm thinking it will:

Beat all three prequels

Beat Return Of The Jedi

Fall short of Empire Strikes Back

Potentially as good as A New Hope. If it beats it, it will be by a whisker....if it falls short....it will be a noble attempt to compete with it.

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Ummmm...yeah :p

FAIL.

Seeher likes this.
  6. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    4 and a half

Not quite as good as the OT, but blows all of the prequels out of the water.

I'm a huge ROTJ fan actually, so I have a soft spot for that movie.

Force Smuggler and DarthHavok like this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Right now, I'm thinking five, but more realistically, it'll be four. But I'm enjoying my enthusiastic cloud.

8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol, I like Jar Jar so I had to have a little fun with you there. :p

But, for real, I have no idea. I could really like it, I could really dislike it. Depends. I'm going to guess I'll give it 4.75/5 (the other 6 are definite 5s, for reference).

TryWhistlingThis likes this.
  9. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Funnily enough I do give ROTJ four stars so although it is my least preferred of the classic three, it's not because I consider the film bad in any manner of speaking (save some pacing issues I have with it - but the pacing is still head and shoulders above the most consistent thirty minutes that the prequels has to offer). I'm predicting four stars for TFA but better than ROTJ because if Abrams first Trek film is anything to go by, I think the pacing, scene-to-scene cutting, and structure will feel smoother than ROTJ.

Interesting to see people avoid the middle of the road.

I just added the following to my first post (just in time before editing time is locked out). Take a read of this, this will be great for discussion too:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-star-wars-will-change-846918

10. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm expecting it to be around 4/5, which means I hope it's as good as ANH and ROTS. I'd give ESB 5/5, and the remaining films a 3.5/5.

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. BobaBacca

BobaBacca Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 6, 2015
    9/10 which is 4.5 stars which rounded up is 5 stars :p

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

ROTJ is either my favourite or second favourite SW film (it really just depends on my mood on the day), probably because I saw ESB & ROTJ in the cinema and I only saw ANH on videotape when I was a kid.

I think there is a chance that this film is my fourth favourite after the OT, but I can't separate myself from nostalgia enough to think that it might be better than the OT.

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think it'll be better than Return of the Jedi, which I love and still consider a great movie despite its flaws. As I've been saying since last year I'm expecting it to come in third, a breath or two behind A New Hope, which is my personal favorite even though I think The Empire Strikes Back is pound-for-pound a better film. Do I think The Force Awakens has the potential to be the second best film in the series? Yes, I do. Am I expecting it to be? No, but I'll be thrilled if it is. And as for the best, if anything is going to usurp TESB it's going to be Episode VIII, which will have more flexibility by virtue of its status as the middle-chapter in the trilogy and Kasdan's comment that Johnson will go weird with the film. But for The Force Awakens, I'm expecting a 4.5/5, which I'll round up to a 5 for the sake of voting.

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm guessing three stars, putting TFA right in the middle of my SW list from favorite to least:

1. Star Wars
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. The Force Awakens
    5. Revenge of the Sith
    6. Attack of the Clones
    7. The Phantom Menace

If I'm lucky, I'll find TFA better than ROTJ. I can't even imagine preferring TFA over ESB or SW.

15. KyloAwakens

KyloAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
  16. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    It's going to be, at bare minimum, a very slick and kinetic modern sci-fi action flick, like Star Trek 2009, so at least a 7 out of 10.

Unless...I'm sitting in the theater...it goes dark...Lucasfilm logo comes up...then the 'a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...'

And then... "Hello, everywan! Mesa back!"

17. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well the current six Star Wars films are all 5/5, A+, my top six films ever made. So I am not sure without Lucas involved if this will be right there with them or if it's going to sit a bit behind. Frankly there's a lot of room there though - it could be 5/5 and still be my least favorite SW movie. That doesn't mean I will love it less or anything. If I had to guess I would be very surprised given the people involved if it's not 5/5, or more specifically if it's not a solid A movie I would be surprised. This is Star Wars, after all. A great drama that I love like Shawshank Redemption let's say still can't compete with Star Wars (thus far) because it simply lacks the elements that this great saga contains. It's an inherent advantage that is built into what is featured. I'm going to like a TIE Fighter let's say more than a random new space ship in a non-SW film, or I'm going to like lightsabers more than some other melee weapon (sword, staff, whatever). Those are elements that give SW an immediate advantage even if it's not huge, it's substantial enough.

While I notice that most people (especially critics) give zero weight to replay value, I give it heavy weight. Transformers may not be mind-altering cinema but the first Transformers movie is extremely entertaining and well crafted and I can watch it every year and still have fun with it. Is it going to make my top 200 movies of all time list? No, it isn't, not by a long shot. But does it help beat out, say, a solid, well done critically acclaimed drama I enjoyed but didn't love? Yes, for sure.

With Star Wars movies, if I can watch them 100 times each, how could I think for a second any other movie is as good as that for me? No way!

I've never been let down by a SW movie so far. I'm hoping this doesn't change that.

Darkslayer likes this.
  18. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    There's no way it can beat ESB in my mind, personally. ESB isn't my favorite SW movie, it's my favorite movie in general. I expect it to be a notch below ANH and a notch above ROTJ. I would be surprised at this point if it doesn't surpass ROTJ. I love that film, but it's fairly messy and uneven. I'll give it a 4.5. I rounded down to 4.

We should guess our favorite character while we're at it. It would be fun to see how everyone's opinion has changed after next week. My money is on Finn. I really like what we know about his character arc thus far.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    4 out 5. I am expecting a solid but not great movie.

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    hmmm (depends on Luke):
    1. if Luke has no kid, only a cameo and no impact on the story = 2 stars
    2. no kid, but impact/screentime=3/4 stars
    3. a kid, but no impact/screentime= 4 stars
    4. a kid + impact/screentime=5 stars
    :p

21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    13 ppl r gonna be disappointed!
    8-}:cool:

22. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    That's been my favorite my whole life too. I was 3 when it came out and actually one of my first movies my parents took me to. This will sound blasphemous but when I was a kid I felt Empire was a little boring. All the action was upfront with the Battle of Hoth (which I always loved) but then it was a lot of talking and not much happening. As I got older and got more into the story about what's going on and the minute details of things my appreciation for it has grown leaps and bounds. And I always thought ROTS made the "Why didn't you tell me?" sequence a lot more powerful. It never gave me chills until after ROTS. But ROTJ is still my favorite.

23. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999
    Probably 3 maybe 3.5 out of 5 stars. Don't particularly like the casting.

24. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Care to expand on those thoughts?

25. shine

shine Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 1999

No.

Darkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.