main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How many stormtroopers were really in the OT films?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by durga2112, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durga2112

durga2112 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2004
    Just a random thought brought about when I was wondering how they made the ultra-cool armour for the stormtroopers. Basically, how many individual actors were used to play stormtroopers in each film? I would imagine that the costumes did not come cheap, so they wouldn't have wanted to have too many people costumed at once - therefore, it's probably not a large number.

I guess a minimum bound could be found by finding a shot with the largest number of stormtroopers. Does anyone know what THAT number would be?

And one final thing: if the OT were to be remade today, do you think real actors in costumes would be used, or would the AOTC/clonetrooper approach be taken - or perhaps some hybrid approach combining real actors and CGI?

2. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    I think(if they did remake it DARTHEVILBOB!!! LOOK LOOK LOOK) they would use cgi

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Odds are they would be created using CGI.

As for the number of stormies, it was probably maybe 30-40 actual humans and the rest were just cardboard figures, or they just used the same guys over and over again. The ceremony scene in ANH at the end, consisted of a couple actors and the majority of the Rebels were cardboard cutouts.

4. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Once you have the molds, the ABS, and the vacu-form machine, it isn't that hard to make the armor.
    It's just the design and set-up for that first set that gets you.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Plus, quite a few non-moving stormies were represented in matte paintings, IIRC.

6. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Yup, Lucas said in the comentary that it was the same 30 guys dying over and over, which is kinda funny to think.
    Playing Domino with the cartboard figures must have really lost some guy his job ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.