main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One How many times have you seen Rogue One?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Vader0706, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Thanks

EHT likes this.
  2. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    So far only I've only seen it twice. Honestly I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as most did. I want to see it at least once more while it's in theaters to see if it can win me over. I might go tomorrow.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    For me the 2 movie screenings were it. I pre-ordered the blu-ray though in hope of an alternative movie ending. :rolleyes:

4. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Hmmm, that movie theatre I thought about going to turns out to be a bit further than I thought it was. It's still in the city right next to mine, but way on the far end of that city from where I'm at. I hadn't looked that up before and just assumed it would be much closer to me. That, and no matter what time I go I will inevitably run into a whole boat load of traffic because getting there and back takes me through a majorly congested area. So even if I get to the 12:30 showing this afternoon with relative ease, by the time I get out it's going to be all that early rush hour and after school traffic jamming up the area. And then I don't want to wait until way past my bed time tonight just to see the 10:30 showing, at which point I would still probably encounter some traffic getting there. My gut tells me it's just not worth it today. I'm heading that way twice next weekend though for a couple of concerts, and I still see showings up until next Tuesday at that theatre, so if it's still playing next Sat and Sun, then it wouldn't be much of a detour to stop off and see it and then continue on my way in that direction, especially without all that weekday traffic. So I guess I just have to wait and see when the movie times for next weekend come out.

I've already seen it a dozen times anyway and can practically replay it in my head. It's coming out on DVD/Blu-Ray soon enough.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I will be going to see it this weekend for the 12th and final time.

Gigoran Monk and ZodaEX like this.
  6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I haven't been able to post because TFN forums no longer work properly on my Safari, I guess. I mean I am typing this in hopes it works on Google Chrome, but might be something mods would want to look into. What has happened about the past week is whether I try on mobile or on my computer, after I log in and try to post, it keeps saying, "You must be logged in to post." Even though I am clearly logged in each time. If I reload the page, it makes me login again. Very strange.

Anyway, I went to #29 yesterday and #30 will be tomorrow. I won't be able to see it this weekend, headed to a pre-Oscar party in Los Angeles that I randomly got invited to attend at Sony Pictures Classics, but I'll be back at it next week. My local theater dropped it to 2 showings per day effective this Friday :( I am glad they kept it at all, but I was thinking it would be a full screen because the other nearby 16 screen theater has it on a full screen for another week. There are now just 4 theaters in the Portland metro area showing Rogue One, and that includes one in Vancouver, WA, so only 3 on the Oregon side. My guess is the brief second-run theater run will happen soon. I would like to check it out at a second run theater near me, they have $1 Mondays, so I'll probably do that unless Rogue One is already on Blu-ray at that point. Then I really cannot justify it because I know my home system is far more impressive. I run 7.1 at home on a 75" 4K TV so I'm not going to theaters to see a garbage presentation lol unless it's the only option :p

Who knows, if I hit 32 after next week, and get in 2 more showings somehow, MAYBE I can keep my record alive of never having seen a Star Wars movie fewer times than my age in theaters. It's still kind of an outside shot, though. After all that is 5 more times and we are nearing the end of the run. I'm definitely good for 3 more I figure, because that takes me through when I know the movie is still playing in theaters. Beyond that, though, it probably depends on who keeps it. Because of my Ultimate Ticket, right now, of the 4 theaters playing it, only 2 are Regal Cinemas and those are both of the ones next to me. That's highly convenient. If one of those keeps it for another two weeks, I will get there and maybe even to 35. But if they both drop it, I may end the run at 32.

ZodaEX likes this.
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    If you're still having these issues I recommend asking about it in the technical issues thread in Comms: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/post-technical-questions-and-issues-here.50003162/

Someone with a better grasp of these types of issues will be able to help you out.

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Thanks! Yeah I tried again just now to post on Safari, had the same issues, but seems to work fine on Chrome. I'll make a post just in case anyone else may be having those issues. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    So my only local theater that is playing R1 has 4 showtimes a day for another week! suprising.?

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I'm going for #30 in an hour! Big milestone. We'll see next Wednesday or so if either theater near me keeps it for another week, even in just a half-screen like the one I'm going to tonight. Either way, looking at the theater count, the end is near. Down to just a few hundred theaters.

kanjiklubbed, ZodaEX and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  11. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    By half screen do you mean the smaller ****ier screens?

Mod edit: Language - have to star out the whole word.

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha no half-screen doesn't mean it's any worse quality, just that it shares the screen with another movie. Most movie theaters for most movies have 4 showings per day in most markets. That's of course somewhat of a generalization because a very short kids film could have 5 showings per day technically, or a very long movie like Lord of the Rings could have only 3 showings per day, and there are theaters that are in podunk markets that don't have any late showings at least during the week, so that also cuts down the screenings. As a general rule though movie screenings are roughly in the range of 1-4-7-10 p.m., which can change by up to an hour, like a 12:20 showing, a 3:35, a 6:45, and a 9:15 or something, but the point is you can generally see the pattern is somewhere in that range of 1-4-7-10 depending on the movie. Next week, Rogue One has a 12:30 and a 6:50 at my local theater, so it's basically keeping the 1st and 3rd showings of the day and some other movie is getting the less desirable 2nd and 4th showings. I'm not sure which movie that is, I could probably tell based on the other show times but I'll know soon enough.

There were a still decent maybe 8-10 people in the screening tonight. Not bad for a Thursday night. Last Thursday I went to the late showing and that was my private screening, so all things considered this seemed solid.

Rogue One's theatrical run has been a great one in the sense that I feel happy I'll have been able to see the film pretty much right up until the Blu-ray release. I don't believe I will have any break unless I feel like taking one, because it'll play into the start of March at the first run theaters. IF it possibly plays an extra week (fingers crossed), that's March 9. Then a few weeks in dollar theaters, I may go see it a few times that way and then it'll shortly be on Blu-ray 3D. My only regret is not seeing it more times in IMAX, but that's not my fault. Our market had it for 5 weeks compared to 8 for TFA, which is definitely unfortunate. Then again, an 8 week IMAX run is ludicrous and probably not to be seen again for a long time. Maybe, maybe by The Last Jedi but even that's unlikely (I'd bet on 6).

I'm really hoping Lucasfilm reconsiders their May release for Han Solo, not because I think it's "too close" to The Last Jedi -- I'm a die-hard, they could release a new movie every week and that'd be great with me -- but because I'm concerned that May is such a contentious time at the box office that I cannot imagine Han Solo having the length of theatrical run that would be afforded to a December movie. That combined with the general impression that it'll be somewhere below the popularity of Rogue One as a blockbuster and I can imagine that being a movie I "only" see 15-20 times in theaters simply because it may be tough to do much better given the time frame. I'm hoping Avatar 2 vacates its (unrealistic) December 2018 frame and Disney moves Han Solo into familiar territory. We all know how well that time of the year lends itself to Star Wars by this point.

13. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    Saw it for the third time last night. The first time I saw it I left disappointed but I went again the next night with some people and enjoyed it slightly more. My third viewing was much better. While I'm still slightly disappointed overall, the movie has become enjoyable for me to watch. I may even go see it a fourth and finale time while it's in theaters.

B99 likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rogue One is still showing in IMAX in Stockholm. Looks like the last IMAX screenings are on Tuesday next week, which puts it at an eleven week run.

15. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    saw it twice. won't rent it or buy the blu-ray.

16. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Only saw it once. Loved it though. I'll definitely be getting it on blu-ray.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Indeed, the approaching Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release is the next big topic when it comes to rewatching RO. I will definitely be racking up big viewing counts at home on Blu-ray. :cool: Let's use the separate, existing thread for that.

As noted earlier, this thread and the RO box office thread will be closed around the time that the movie leaves theaters. As requested, we'll give a few days advance notice of that closure.

18. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Still on two. Won't see it again until it comes out on home video for rental. My wife wants to see it and normally I buy it but with it eventually coming to Netflix, I can wait. At least I hope I can. If the boys love it enough (they still have not seen it), they might badger me enough to buy it. If that is the case then well it won't be my money buying it...that will come out of their allowance/money saved LOL!

19. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Going for 31 tonight! The Baskin Robbins viewing. :D

SWRed7 likes this.
  20. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yes! The Edwards Cinema that I thought was too far to go to last week is still playing it this weekend. I managed to get this weekend off and since I'm headed that way both Sat and Sun for a couple of concerts, I'm definitely going to stop off and see it in the afternoon both days, and then just keep on my way.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I wasn't able to see it last weekend because we took an unexpected family vacation but I'd really like to see it one last time either tonight or tomorrow. It'll be gone by Friday so this is my last chance to see it for a 12th time! :p

Gigoran Monk and Bowen like this.
  22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Three times was plenty for me in cinemas. Love it, but weird;y for a standalone I don't think I'll revisit it as a standalone - it'll be very much a part of a chronological viewing of the entire saga for me. After one blu Ray viewing, anyway

TCF-1138 likes this.
  23. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Way to go Darth Chiznuk, that's impressive!

So I lied, I didn't see it Monday night. A friend wanted to game and was off work early, but I knew he was working very late Tuesday and Wednesday, so I ended up seeing it Tuesday night instead. It was ANOTHER private viewing, my 2nd in the last 4 or so. Given I have the Ultimate Ticket, that means both times they didn't make a cent off that showing. Ouch. It's gone from the largest theater in Oregon, my theater, after Thursday. I will see it for the final time there Thursday night at 10 p.m. as I always do. I have always made sure to catch the first and last screenings of every Star Wars movie at one theater (and I usually see the final showing of the movie at other theaters as well, when I can / if there's a sentimental reason for doing so).

I may have been granted a reprieve, though, from having to call Thursday night's showing the final one. Unbelievably -- and I'd really like to know a manager there -- Rogue One will go from a half-screen back to a full screen (?!) at Fox Tower, which is our art house downtown movie theater. Other movies playing there are 20th Century Women, Lion, La La Land, Moonlight, Arrival, My Life as a Zucchini, you get the idea. They usually play 1-2 foreign movies if they're critical hits, a bunch of acclaimed independent movies / arthouse movies, and a few mainstream critical hits (which in this case you could say La La Land doubles as both, it fits their commercial hit slot but also is art house and award-winning). They will typically have no more than 1 Hollywood blockbuster there and it has to be something of great, wide appeal. Oddly enough The Force Awakens was gone from that theater way before this point in time, if it ever played there much at all. I lived downtown at the time and have no memory of TFA playing there, frankly. This is a 10-plex theater so given that Rogue One wasn't even in the box office top 20 last weekend, it's an outlier to say the least.

My only explanation for this weird phenomenon is something else I've noticed about Portland as a whole (including suburbs) and Portland downtown specifically. It must be a massive over-sample of Star Wars fans or people who enjoy Star Wars, because the last two movies are proving a trend. When my previous local theater downtown, Lloyd, had a chance to drop TFA in IMAX, they didn't, they kept it 8 weeks. It was almost equally full the last 4 weeks of the run, about 20-30 people every screening. It was pretty remarkable. The 6-plex downtown played Rogue One for about 8 weeks and they played TFA for about 10 weeks, both of which clearly make no sense if those theaters performed anywhere like most U.S. theaters. A theater with only 6 screens shouldn't be keeping movies more than maybe 4 weeks most of the time, with new releases coming and all, and even a movie as big as TFA should have had a 6-7 week run there, not 10. It defied all explanation except to say that each theater keeps a movie based on the performance *at that theater* not nationwide. So that must mean with all 3 downtown Regal Cinemas having had some bizarrely long runs for Star Wars movies, there are simply more fans or moviegoers who like SW in that area.

This time around, Lloyd dropped Rogue One a few weeks ago, so Fox Tower is the only theater playing it downtown, which maybe has driven every interested fan in the area to that theater and thus led them to decide not to drop the film. I will go there to see it for the next week then, maybe get in a few more viewings. Everyone knows how I am at this point, I will keep going if I can find the theater!

24. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Once for me. Definitely the most unmemorable Star Wars film I've seen. Not sure if that makes it more or less likely I'll watch it again. :p

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.