main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One How many times have you seen Rogue One?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Vader0706, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah... ok. It's very memorable, but then again, you've seen it once, so I'll give your opinion the consideration it deserves :p

Another much closer theater is keeping Rogue One! It's not my local theater, but it's almost as close. Maybe another 3-4 minutes or so. I'm stoked, I didn't expect it to stay there but this theater kept TPM for 22 weeks back in the day! My local theater kept TPM 13 weeks if I recall correctly, it was the end of August 1999. So this theater isn't new to me, in fact it's where I went to see most movies as a teen that were more "art house" because they've always had 2-3 screens playing indie movies (sometimes, true indie movies that barely saw theatrical releases lol).

I was going to see Rogue One tonight and tomorrow, but I'd really rather not, just being honest, I was only going to do that if it was the last hurrah. Now, I'm seeing it Thursday for sure at 10 p.m. to close out my local theater's 11-week run. I'm sure I'll get in 2-3 more viewings next week, though, and as unbelievable as it seemed not more than 3-4 weeks ago, I will make sure Rogue One doesn't break my streak of NEVER having seen a Star Wars movie fewer times than my age in years. Closest before was 24 times seeing ROTS, but I was only 22, so still above.

2. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002

Yes, I'm serious. I found the characters to be incredibly bland, while the overall plot about Death Star plans is not something I ever thought needed expanded upon. I didn't dislike the film while watching it in the theater, but a couple of months out very little of anything in the movie made enough of an impact to stay with me.

B99 likes this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, you're wrong. Wholly and completely wrong.

Ricardo Funes and thejeditraitor like this.
  4. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

No, my opinion is not wrong.

B99 likes this.
  5. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ok.... Lets switch gears.. R1 still in another week here in my amc theater..

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Your opinion isn't "wrong," but you've seen the movie one time. It's pretty hard to take you too seriously as a fan, I'm sorry. Many of us have STUDIED this movie, examined it line by line, scene by scene, each visual, each connection. You've seen it once. That is not a fan's devotion to the franchise, I'm sorry. Maybe you should check it out again because it's a great movie, but like any other movie that you want to appreciate fully, that's not going to happen in just one viewing.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    TIL I'm not a serious Star Wars fan.

It's such a silly notion that you have to watch a movie multiple times to form an opinion on it. Maybe if you're ambivalent. But if you like or hate aspects of a film, unless the film gets an extended version or is drastically re-edited, those elements that you like or dislike will remain. No amount of analysis is going to make me like Cassian, or think Saw's death was anything but useless, or think Jyn wasn't undercut as a self-determining, consistent character again and again.

I didn't invent in my head the moments that led me to these conclusions. Gareth Edwards and Tony Gilroy and a half dozen writers did. And it doesn't make me or anyone else less of a fan for overall not liking one Star Wars film. Being a Star Wars fan doesn't mean you're required to like every new film or every new addition to the canon.

ezekiel22x likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nope, we're not going to be doing that. It's not yours or anyone else's place to question someone's fandom. There is no requirement to see the film multiple times to be considered a fan. If they don't like it then they don't like it. Move on.

11-4D, Guidman , B99 and 3 others like this.
  9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Nope, we will not be talking about people's negativity of a movie they've seen once. This isn't the thread for that and I think that's what you should be pointing out, no? There are many threads for that...

I didn't love TFA the first viewing, but I did the second. So yes it's very reasonable for any fan not to take even their own opinion seriously after just one viewing. Can't hurt to see a movie for a second time if you're a fan.

I got in #32.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    You do not get to dictate the terms of this thread by mini-modding and invalidating the opinions of others. This is your final warning.

11. kanjiklubbed

kanjiklubbed Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2017
    Bittersweet...in trailers before my final possible viewing right now

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think there's a slight difference with a Star Wars film among people who follow every rumor and build up expectations in a way that's highly unusual. In that context, when I see a Star Wars film the first time, it's rapidly competing with a number of preconceived notions and expectations, and I am thus not able to assess the film in a ciear-headeded way.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting that this is an issue for you as it is for me. You may be perfectly capable of going in the first time, and being as objective as possible.

But just as an experiment, and because I would personally like to see the results of that experiment, I think you should watch it st least one more time and then report back.

Not least because I agree with you on nearly every other film we've discussed, and am a little surprised by your reaction to RO.

I thought it was clear that I was joking. :)

13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I agree with your first paragraph. I had to see TFA a couple times to be sure I was settled on my views. And as anyone here who knows me knows, I followed that production on an obsessive level.

Rogue One for me was a little different. I was much less focused on following the day-to-day rumors of the production. I think I visited the R1-dedicated forums maybe once every week or two, and as the release date approached I actively avoided threads to go in cold(ish). I even defended the film before my viewing of it to friends who bashed it, telling them to give it a chance. So when I saw it finally, I went in both rooting for it and open to it.

Once R1 is available for rental I do intend to view it again. And I'm sure, for better or worse, my feelings will change on some things. But I'm fairly certain it won't change on others. Believe me when I say I respect your opinion and am disappointed I didn't align with it. But even if I don't change my views in a major way, I'm glad you and most other fans are satisfied.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I find very difficult to understand and absorb all smaller details and secondary contexts in a single seating.

The first viewing, for me at least, is only useful to bring the so called "first impression". Which is nice and cool, but as in love, it is a good idea to try to see the details over the first impression.

A positive or negative first impression helps, but several times, is also deceptive.

Talking about me, only after I have been exposed to a second viewing of a new movie, I am able to rationalize and form an in-depth analysis.

Of course I am guilty of reflecting my points of view and experiences into my world view.

I have watched TPM, AotC and RotS only once in theaters, as well. Talking about my experiences, I can say they changed a lot (to positive) after I gave them more viewings.

See, I won't even watch the trailer for TLJ if I am not in the correct mood. When I first watched the trailer for R1, I did not like it, because I was stressed in my job, watched in my mobile phone screen, etc. When I got back to my home and watched it properly, it loved it.

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  15. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017

And I feel like you can't judge anyone if they are a fan or not based on their number of viewings. One can be a fan if he/she has seen it once and one can be a fan if he/she has seen it 7-8 times. I hope you don't think that anyone beside you would be able to see the film 32 times. Does that make them lesser fans than you?

B99 likes this.
  16. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Saw it yesterday at that Edwards Theater. It actually wasn't as far as I thought it was. Going to see it again in a few hours, then head to another concert in that direction. It's playing through Thursday this week at that theater. So if I have nothing better to do on my regular days off this week, which are Wed/Thurs, I'll probably go watch it again in the early afternoon. And just hope I can snake under the rush hour traffic afterwards and get back home fairly quick.

There were about two dozen people in the 3:30 showing yesterday (Saturday). This is in a densely populated area where the 26 screen theater is centrally located within a sprawling town center with all kinds of other stores and whatnot and with not much else to do in the area. So I'm not surprised, but it does indicate that this movie has been doing better than I had previously thought all these weeks. As opposed to the Regal I had been going to up until a few weeks ago which is kind of out of the way for most people with only 13 screens and that I had only been going to midday during the week.

One thing, however, that didn't even occur to be prior to seeing it this Sat and Sun, is that ***damn kids are out of school on weekends. There were about four groups of people in the theater yesterday that had kids. Kids will just talk in the middle of the movie, and the parents will answer back, and will just have a conversation with them right in the middle of an important scene. They all have to get snacks too so there's this constant ruffling of plastic candy wrap and the sound of popcorn being eaten throughout the whole movie as both kids and parents indulge themselves. Then towards the latter half of the movie the kids start to get all fidgety, stomping their feet and getting in and out of their seat and whatnot, and still the parents say nothing to them. I guess it is understood between parents that this is all okay? I'm just glad this was upward of my 15th viewing (kind of lost count) and I didn't have to pay for it. Otherwise if I had paid, although I wouldn't have said anything to the parents and would have totally just let them be, I would certainly have gone to guest relations and asked for my money back. So I'm glad it occurred under the circumstances that it did, because like I said, it hadn't even occurred to me this would be the case seeing it when I did, so now I know for the future if I'm going to pay good money to see a movie I will make sure to see it at a time when it's likely no kids will be there. It's also another reason I want to go back and see it in the early afternoon later on this week, so I can have my final theater viewing of RO in peace. I don't mean to offend anyone who has kids. And I honestly don't mean to sound like a jaded grouch, even though it may seem that way from what I wrote. We all have our pet peeves.

17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Clearly those kids were too young for this movie.

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

One of the many, many reasons I never am having kids lol. They will ruin any movie, whether they're yours or someone else's. Just trying to watch TFA with my girlfriend's 7-year-old brother is bad enough. Sitting through a 2+ hour movie is pretty tough for kids, they just fidget all over the place like little ADD machines, constantly annoying everything in their presence. I will say there's nothing like watching people try to deal with their kids to make me realize how awesome my life is by comparison though lol. So try to see the silver lining :p

I have somehow gotten lucky with Rogue One and had very few screenings with almost any kids present. I will say that's probably a huge reason why Rogue One made less money than TFA, though, besides obvious reasons (spin off movie, etc.). I think parents kind of got the idea that this is a bit dark and maybe not the best movie for the under 8-9 crowd. In the early weeks, I did have some screenings with kids, but it's weird, I haven't seen any kids in at least a dozen viewings that I can recall. I typically go at 10 p.m. during the week to avoid people, though, and by that I don't mean people in the theater as much as I mean people on the road. Traffic leaving for a 7 p.m. showing is way worse than at 10 p.m. where I can get to the theater lightening fast. And people in line, because I like to skip most of the previews so the smaller the line for tickets the better my whole plan works out. Still, I have usually seen a weekend showing every weekend (except for last) and those showings were all pretty full -- of adults.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I only take my kids to movies that I know they are going to be fine watching. This is what responsible parents do. My 10 year old was quieter and more attentive than some of the adults in the theater when we saw RO. Hell, he's probably also more mature than some people who think they're awesome because they don't have kids.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I just remember the kid two seats away from me squealing with delight when R2 and Threpio turned up, and being so envious of his joy. Wishing I could do that 10 year old " This is Awesome!" thing.

kanjiklubbed, EHT and thejeditraitor like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Okay, so I may have been a bit harsh on kids in regards to my Saturday viewing this past weekend. For whatever reason that specific viewing must have just been particularly bad. Because on Sunday when I saw it at 12:30 there were quite a number of families in there, and they were all much quieter and more well behaved than the previous day. No fidgeting or loud echoing plastic candy wrap being handled constantly. I really wasn't bothered at all, even by the infrequent noises made and brief conversations had. I don't know, maybe the Saturday family crowd is different from the Sunday family crowd. I don't doubt that also going into my Sunday viewing knowing what to expect in regards to seeing a movie on a weekend also made me more tolerable. Either way, I still learned my lesson, that if I'm going to pay good money to see a movie, which I don't do very often (except when SW is in theaters), then I will make sure to go at a time when it is likely no kids will be there. Come to think of it, whenever I have seen a movie, it's almost always been in the afternoon on a weekday. I guess I just had never run into the issues I did this past weekend. At least it happened when I didn't have to pay and had already seen the movie umpteenth times. So now I'll just be more aware of it.

Anyways, so on Sunday at 12:30 in the afternoon, I counted upwards of 40 people in there. I base that on counting seven or eight rows that each had at least five people in them. And again, this theater is in a densely populated area with not much else to do in the immediate vicinity around the town center in which it is located. I'm guessing the majority in there had already seen it, because for the most part nobody really laughed at K2's punchlines. I imagine, especially for the families that were in there, that not many people were coming to see this movie each and every weekend it's been out. So maybe there's an uptick in people wanting to see it lately knowing it is probably going to be pulled from theaters very soon. Because 40 on a Sunday early afternoon nearly three months after it was released is pretty damn good. I mean it was about as crowded as the theater was when I saw it the night it premiered.

Specifically there are three Edwards Cinemas all within a decent size radius that have held it for this long. It's playing at all three until Thursday this week. I guess I'll just have to wait a couple days to see if they'll continue past that.

22. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I saw Rogue One twice, a low for me and Star Wars films. I think I've seen the others at least four times each. I just turned 40 a few months ago, so I am not a kid. That having been said ...

There was something just 'meh' to me about Rogue One, and I cannot for the life of me put my finger on what it was. I don't know if it was the lack Jedi, the inevitability of the fates of the new characters AND the new villain or what.

Aspects that I liked:
    K-2SO
    Tarkin
    Leia
    Vader
    the ANH Rebel pilots
    Krennic
    Their being a logical explanation for the Death Star's fatal weakness (very nicely done)
    The seamless tie to ANH

Aspects I disliked:
    Every single new character (predictably) dying
    The utterly pointless (IMO) Forrest Whittaker subplot

As you can see, my list of likes is far longer than that of my dislikes. So why did I find the film to be so 'meh'? The only thing I can figure is that every other new character was nothing more than 'meh'. I enjoyed the nostalgic aspects/surprises of the film, but something about the rest just didn't 'feel' like Star Wars to me the way The Force Awakens did. I would have to google their names to even list them beyond Jyn and Cassian. I neither liked nor disliked them. Again, just a big 'meh'.

Can anyone help me better understand my own indifference to this film?

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  24. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

Seems like you explained your thoughts pretty well. Unmemorable characters + no prospect of further development for these characters seem like pretty substantial minuses even if there were other elements of the film you liked. I'm in a similar belt. I didn't dislike the film, but "meh" is about right. If I watch it again there's really nothing I'm either dreading or anticipating for a second viewing. In other words, for me this movie felt more like a "product" than the other ones. Maybe that's true for you too.

edit: sorry, didn't see the mod suggestion

SaintKenobi1322 likes this.
  25. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    EHT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.