main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One How many times have you seen Rogue One?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Vader0706, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Lol well you're a big fan I'm sure, most people never see a movie 4 times in theaters, no matter what the movie. I've never seen a non-Star Wars movie 4 times in theaters, I don't think. I have seen a number 3 times (Gladiator, The Count of Monte Cristo, many Bond movies, etc.).

The cost is a non-factor for me because of the Ultimate Ticket *this time around*, although certainly it was an annoyance with TFA. I don't recall exactly how much it cost to see it 41 times but I think it was about $600, primarily because the vast majority of my screenings were in IMAX. With the Ultimate Ticket this time, I've only paid for 4 screenings total -- preview night, opening day (advance ticket), TCL Chinese Theater, and AMC Universal CityWalk. Both of those in L.A. were well worth the high price, though, they were incredible experiences. I'm intending next year for TLJ to combine a business trip with a Star Wars trip somewhat as I did this year, but without my girlfriend going I'm probably going to try to see TLJ in a bunch of L.A. area theaters that I've always wanted to see like El Capitan, the Dome at ArcLight Hollywood, plus TCL Chinese again, etc.

The time isn't much of an issue, I mean any given night I should have let's say 6-8 hours of free time, plus weekends, so seeing it 3 times per week on average isn't a challenge. Maybe figure 90 hours watching Rogue One and driving to / from it, but since October 7 I've spent about 600 hours playing Gears of War 4, so by comparison a really small time commitment compared to my other primary hobby at the moment.

PS: really hoping for an Ultimate Ticket for TLJ too, but does anyone else find it odd that they've never offered Ultimate Tickets to any Marvel movies? I say odd because clearly it's not a studio thing, since Disney owns both Star Wars and Marvel, and it's not a comic book movie thing because they offered the Ultimate Ticket for Batman v. Superman. They even had one for the last Bond movie. I would think some Marvel fans would definitely buy an Ultimate Ticket for something like The Avengers or Civil War or something like that. I just wonder internally how they decide which movies (very few) get an Ultimate Ticket and what sort of data analysis goes into that decision. I'm sure they're tracking the viewings and I'm probably not helping their desire to issue one for TLJ ha ha!

2. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    Can't wait to watch it some more times when it hits Blu-Ray! Been out from my local cinema for more than a month already, unfortunately. 7 viewings made me really appreciate the film and those epic SW moments.

Bowen , after 35 viewings how do you still feel excited about seeing a particular scene from the film?

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I've seen it about 152,000 times give or take. Unfortunately, whenever I converse with someone out loud I just repeat dialogue from the film and nothing more. I can only type out my real voice on here.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's hard to explain. I've seen it 18 times myself. And before each viewing I genuinely have a feeling of excitement simply in that I'm going to see it again and that I get to watch certain scenes play out again. There's just something about it. That kid in me I suppose. I'm just like that when it comes to SW.

Right now it's more of a "why not?" feeling for me in wanting to go see it again. I don't have a whole lot going on in my life right now, so in my off time, it's either sitting around at home flipping channels, or sitting and watching SW on the big screen. Plus it doesn't cost as much, because I have this thing called the Ultimate Ticket that allows anyone who has one to see it once per day without having to pay. Bowen has one too.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Vader0706

Jan 2, 2017
    Awesome! Great to hear!

I too love SW (obviously since I am a member here), but I simply can't watch a certain scene a consequent number of times without eventually learn it by hard and sort of.. lose the level of excitement for the next re-watch. This is why I give myself a break every 3-4 months before doing a SW marathon. That's why when I do it I simply LOVE IT, because I have sort of had my absence of SW stuff then I and feel excited again for my next dosage! This is actually with every film and thing I do. Enjoying a certain thing comes in short waves for me, I simply do like variety.

Haven't seen RO in more than a month and I've already started to have that urge to see it again. That's why I can't wait it to hit Blu-Ray!

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Just got 7th viewing in.!

Vorennaal and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Due to some family matters I finally saw it today. And I loved it

9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015

Wow, that is so cool ! Really nice that you managed to still find a theater playing R1 !

10. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    It was probably the smallest auditorium in the multiplex and right next to the exit. I was actually kind of surprised it was still playing at a first run

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999

There are certain scenes I always really enjoy seeing, or even just certain shots. Chirrut's first fighting scene is awesome, I love seeing Krennic's arrival scenes in his shuttle, almost no matter which one, they always are awesome and I love that music. The entire battle of Scarif is incredible to witness. One thing that I've always loved about Star Wars and I really do think is one of the big reasons I simply think the SW movies are better than other movies is that they truly accomplish what it means to have "moving art." In a lot of movies, the vast majority of movies actually, you can freeze frame the film and it's likely going to be a fairly boring image. In Star Wars, you can pause at almost any point and it'll be like a painting. It will be a gorgeously composed shot with incredible visual elements in the frame. It's just so incredible to have a 2 hour movie filled with so many great shots that everything looks special, rather than just special segments here and there. Part of that is the nature of making a sci-fi movie instead of a drama, though, because of course otherworldly images lend themselves to that type of scrutiny.

The weekend was annoying and I wasn't able to see Rogue One. I was going to the 6:45 p.m. showing Saturday but forgot that the Oregon Ducks game was at 8, so I wanted to watch that. Then we hear one of our best players is out for the season shortly before, so I ended up watching a loss that I wish I had just seen Rogue One instead but by that point that it ended, too late to catch the late show, too. On Sunday, I had a prior commitment / birthday lunch celebration at noon, which lasted until about 4 by the time we actually got home from the party. We already had plans to see Kong at 9:20 and the 6:45 Rogue One wouldn't have been over until about 9:10, but at a completely different theater, so that was a no go. There just wasn't any window of time to see Rogue One except if I had gone at 3:45 on Saturday, which I should have done, but I was taking care of some other household stuff and in my mind I was going to the 6:45 because I had forgotten about the Ducks game.

Anyway, saw the movie again for #36 on Monday night though. Another private screening, my third one so far. It was nice, I have to say. I like the private screenings at this point. I either want a completely packed theater with other fans or an empty house ha ha no in-between! I'm not sure yet if my theater will keep Rogue One another week or if this is it. I strongly suspect this is it, but who knows, stranger things have happened I guess. My last showing may be 9:45 on Thursday night. Unless I decide to go both Wednesday and Thursday, which I am kind of crazy, so I may do that to make up for the weekend and because it's the last hurrah. My secret hope is somewhere will be playing it beyond this Thursday, though, and I'll be able to keep seeing it another week somewhere.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Kong was certainly a "freeze any frame" kind of movie. If nothing else, a very very pretty film.

TCF-1138 , Ricardo Funes and Bowen like this.
  13. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Kong was gorgeous! All I could think was, wow, kudos to ILM and Skywalker Sound, that movie both looked and sounded fantastic. That was one of the first movies I've seen in a while where I thought, you know, even though I'm sure I would disagree, if Kong beat The Last Jedi for best SFX I wouldn't be angry about it, at least. I would be annoyed as the Oscars can't ever get it right and obviously hate Star Wars for whatever reason, but at least Kong looked like an early contender for a nomination at least. Great job by ILM! The cinematography of course was also incredibly pretty. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It has been a good year for movies.

Wow, I can't believe it, just after I posted I checked the theater listings again just now. They announced their listings for the next week at the theater I've been going to and Rogue One is staying ANOTHER week! It is now guaranteed to play through the 23rd of March. That means it has had just as long of a run in first run theaters in Portland as The Force Awakens, which ended on March 24, but also started later than Rogue One did.

So I'm at 36 viewings, 5 short of TFA, I think I'm going to gun for tying my TFA mark. Maybe something like Wednesday or Thursday, then Saturday, then Monday, then Wednesday and Thursday to finish it out. If I'm within striking distance I think I can do it and that's about the normal pace I've been seeing the movie anyway.

SWRed7, Ricardo Funes and GregMcP like this.
  14. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    I check daily to see if it's coming to any nearby theatres here in the Chicagoland. Brutal that there's no sign yet.

15. Vader0706

Jan 2, 2017
    Agree, Kong was beautiful to look at. I want to go see it again simply because of the visuals and cinematography!

And I agree with Bowen that almost every frame in the SW films is beautiful to look at. Can't wait for the imagery in TLJ!.

16. PoorRebel

PoorRebel Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I saw it 2 times and liked the parts resembling the old triology a lot. The rest was okay as well, so I'm also going to get it on Blu-Ray...

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Saw it today. 19 times now. Going again tomorrow. I spoke with the manager and he told me it is playing through next Thursday. So hopefully, assuming nothing comes up, that's another two viewings on my off days next week (Wed/Thurs).

This Ultimate Ticket has been quite a steal. I would hardly go this many times if it weren't for it. And for a quality movie like RO it definitely serves its purpose. I think they offered an Ultimate Ticket for Batman vs Superman, but that movie was awful, who would want to go see it so many times as to warrant buying an Ultimate Ticket for it.

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I feel sorry for anyone who bought the Ultimate Ticket to BVS hahaha. That is a terrible deal! First of all, the movie made more than half its money from opening weekend, which is godawful. It's not just godawful it's nearly unbelievable. I mean it's hard to imagine that happening, to any movie, short of it being literally pulled from theaters for some reason. That means it wasn't even around for long in any first run theater, even if you for some reason did want to watch it a bunch of times. I can't picture anyone wanting to see BVS more than 2-3 times in theaters, though, so for $100 you just got scammed big time.

By contrast, I'm sure if there's no Ultimate Ticket for The Last Jedi, you and I will be big reasons why they don't offer it. They haven't done well on my account, to say the least. Of my 36 viewings, 32 of them are on the card. That means I've paid an average of about $3 per viewing and that's going to drop below $3 by the end of next week. Of those, 16 viewings (18 total, but not on the card) were IMAX ones on the card, so to pay an average of under $3 per ticket when it should have been more like $15 per showing... yeah, they didn't win on my account. :p

Ricardo Funes and EHT like this.
  19. BB-8 My Homework

BB-8 My Homework Jedi Knight

Feb 19, 2016
    I had my 14th viewing tonight. Like other in other cities mentioned above, Rogue One is being held over for another week here in Denver. I had no reason to expect it to keep playing. Just one theater with an open seat can make my day. If rogue one can make it until the week after, I'll have the next viewing, and the next. On and on until the The Last Jedi is released or Rogue's run is spent.

20. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Very disappointed with the B&tB visuals, wooden acting and lack of "Disney magic".
    What a waste of an IMAX theather, could have been playing R1..... way way way better.

Blue 5 and B99 like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, 17 out of my 19 viewings have been on my card. It's coming out to about $5 a viewing. Not to mention that two of those viewings were in 4DX, which normally costs $30. But I just walked right in using my Ultimate Ticket. It said ANY format right? But yea, they only sold 1,000 of them, so I'm sure they have a way of tracking the data. And when they see that people will go and see a SW movie 20 and 30 times using it, they'll probably determine that these people would have likely paid for it upwards of 10-12 times regardless, which I would have, maybe more. Which in the end would give them more money. So yea, I'm sure their figures are way different now because of RO when compared to the amount of viewings people racked up for BvS. And I'm sure they will realize that for really good movies, the Ultimate Ticket is a bad idea.

Also, one thing I've noticed, is that employees at the box office don't seem as dumbfounded anymore when I hand them my Ultimate Ticket and ID. When I first started using it regularly back in January after the holidays were over, it seemed like employees weren't aware at all of what it was, and several times the box office attendant had to call their manager over for help with it. But as the last few months have gone on, it's seemed like employees immediately know what it is and how to scan it in now. My guess is that more and more people have been using it regularly. This is in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. So I wouldn't be surprised if a decent number of people around here have one. I have yet to meet anyone else that does, not that I've really asked anyone. But still, just by seeing the familiarity employees have with it now, I can only assume they've seen it before.

But yea, people are using it. And it will be interesting to see if they offer it for any future SW movies.

Anyways, I'm off to my 20th viewing in a few minutes.

22. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I really hope they offer it for future SW movies that's for sure. I agree though haha they will probably decide IF more people are like us, "This was a bad idea. Star Wars fans are crazy." As soon as they announced this card, I thought they clearly don't know the level of devotion of our fan base and that they're in for a rough awakening, but that's their problem. I just take advantage :D

Yeah I have had the funniest experiences with this card over the few months, it has been truly amazing to me. I went to the same theater for the vast majority of the run -- except for a one-week break to see it in IMAX at another theater once my local theater switched out their IMAX for La La Land -- and then the last few weeks in a new theater. Anyway, my local theater never did get the idea. A manager was called almost every time, even when I had seen the person before, and they were just as clueless by the end as the start. I seriously got asked on my 29th viewing, "Oh wow, is this your first time seeing the movie?" I mean these people are not worth even minimum wage, they are dumb as a box of rocks. Yes, it's my FIRST TIME seeing a movie that's 10 weeks old and that I have the Ultimate Ticket for, I bought this $100 ticket for no particular reason whatsoever. Just because it was metal and shiny. SMH.

None of that beats the even worse idiocy lately of no fewer than 5 different employees the last 7-8 screenings, and this didn't happen at all before, but once it started it has literally happened every time but one of my last 8 viewings. *Hands the person my Regal card plus my Ultimate Ticket and Drivers License (so they can verify, since I would rather not be hassled after the fact, makes it go faster). The person scans the Regal Card first, then sets it down and grabs the Ultimate Ticket, looking at it. They then look back at the monitor* "Oh it looks like you have A LOT of credits, you have enough for about 5 free movie tickets, do you want to use one of those now?" *Me, staring dumbfounded like I just found the stupidest person on earth and I'm a mixture of amazed and in shock* "Umm, why would I do that?" "Well it's free, so you could use your credits to see the movie." "But WHY would I do that?! The Ultimate Ticket IS free, every single viewing of this movie, why would I use credits for something I have an ULTIMATE TICKET for that IS free?" *Moment of silence, some head scratching, contemplation, like this is the most thinking this person has been required to do since high school algebra.* "OH, I see what you're saying, heh, ok so no credits used today then?" "Uhh... no, let's not do that." "Gotcha."

I wish I could say this was a one-time experience of idiocy but it actually has happened almost *exactly* like that 8 times in a row except once in there (and that time WAS close, I only forgive her because she said "you could use your credits for a free movie this time.... or popcorn or a drink...." so even though the first part of her statement was idiotic, I'm going to excuse it because she saved it with popcorn or a drink). I even had a worse time where the guy argued with me, "But this would be absolutely free, I mean you're using your credits, not a gift card." "Uhh... this is NOT a gift card, it's the Ultimate Ticket. It entitles me to see the movie free every single day it's in theaters, if I want, whereas those credits I could use for another movie down the road. If I already have this movie for free whenever, why would I waste my credits on it...?!" "Ah, ok, well suit yourself."

These same people were seen downtown protesting for a $15/hour minimum wage. These same people will one day be replaced by machines (and not soon enough). It's somewhat funny at this point, if it weren't so sad.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And after that wretched post... we're done here.

Organafan, Zer0, Gigoran Monk and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.