main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One How many times have you seen Rogue One?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Vader0706, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Calvin

Darth Calvin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 9, 2015
    Four. All in regular 2D. I'll see it once or twice more and then call it quits till the DVD comes out.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Seeing it twice should be mandated by law.

It seems that for every single person on this board (unless I've missed something), the film improved on the second viewing.

3. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    There is so much going on it's difficult to absorb on a first viewing.

The Imperial stitch getting shot in the back is something I missed first time around.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    For both SW and Middle-earth films, I can't make a fair assessment with only one viewing. I have so many expectations, theories, hopes, and prejudices in my head that I have to watch it once just to flush all that out. Second watch, I can see it for what it is, and not what I thought it ought to be. That's when I can give it a fair shake. And I'm glad I did; second time around, I knew who the characters were, where they came from and where they were going, and I got a lot more emotionally invested in their lives - and deaths - than I did the first time.

moreorless12, Blue 5 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  5. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Count me in as another that needed a second viewing. In fact, I was so disappointed on opening night, I waited a couple of weeks for a fresh set of eyes and a less dour mood.

Except for a few geeky logistical things that bugged me (that I guess was supposed to be passed of as Imperial aloofness/incompetence), and that perplexing score, I was able to emotionally engage so much more this time. There are a lot of blanks to be filled in the 15(?) years the movie covers, and it's tough to process the unseen stuff on the fly with a movie that's already pretty busy.

One thing I appreciated much more was how good the script was. Even if I didn't care for a specific character, I still bought the dialogue exchanges. When Jyn addressed Cassian after leaving Eadu about targeting Galen, you could really feel the tension in the ship. Cassian was a fantastic Star Wars character.

Still a bit disappointed with everything about Krennic, but learning to live with it. :)

Really glad It's growing on me; I was pretty disgusted after my first viewing. Sure would love to see the rough version that reflected the original vision of the film, though...

Sarge likes this.
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    have watched it 7times. first was midnight opening night here in aus. then again the next night. then went with friends who wanted too see it who didn't like star wars. went the day after carrie passed as a tribute

7. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    Have now seen Rogue One seven times. Fantastic movie. The last hour is particularly amazing. Saw RO on a "Dolby Cinema" screen three times - that has been my favorite way to see it. Massive screen, incredible sound, and plush seats which "rumble" with every explosion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Seen it yesterday for the 4th time and it definitely gets better with each viewing. Can't wait till it comes out on DVD to see it on my UHD TV.

9. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    2 times, will see it again tomorrow, however I'm more excited about watching the Bluray version when it comes out since there's obviously a whole bunch of amazing deleted scenes out there.

whostheBossk and DaffyTheWizard like this.
  10. kylorobes

kylorobes Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2016
    Three times. Once in 4DX - didn't enjoy that but IMAX is incredible, the best way to enjoy the space scenes

11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I wish there was an Imax screen within a hundred or two miles of me so that I could see a Star Wars film that way. I can't imagine how cool that space battle would look in imax.

I'm up to four viewings myself. It is leaving several local screens this weekend so I'm hoping that I continue to have the chance to see it in theatres for a while longer as I would definitely like to see it a few more times prior to blu ray. Third viewing, I found the tall salamander mount creatures and fourth viewing, I saw the decraniated woman. I love catching new background things each viewing.

Huttese 101 and whostheBossk like this.
  12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Seen it today again (4th viewing) in Imax, last day for Imax at my local theater. Guessing it is everywhere sense new movies releasing tommrow.. Was nice and LOUD!

13. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Up to 5 now. Going again this weekend.

B99 likes this.
  14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Just three so far. I have liked it more each time I've seen it. Hope for Number 4 this weekend.

Blue 5 and B99 like this.
  15. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Only once so far. I want to see it again but I don't see myself having time unfortunately. I'll have to wait until the Blu-Ray.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Saw it for the sixth time last night and my wife saw it for the first time. She wasn't a fan but oh well. I'll probably catch it in the IMAX again this weekend. I want to see it at least one more time in IMAX before it's dropped.

17. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    My Imax is DONE here showing R1.. Hopefully your theater still shows it in it.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not sure when it ends in my theater but I checked earlier and it's still playing throughout the weekend at least.

B99 likes this.
  19. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Third time today and was able to catch so much more. Look forward to blue ray/DVD for deleted scenes. I noticed the Y-wings proton torpedoes and the taking out of the Star Destroyer's power, Saws militia walking by Jedi face statue, and much more.

20. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I've seen it three times. I don't plan on seeing it again in the theatre, but I'm looking forward to owning it. :)

21. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    13 times, all in IMAX. Among those, 11 of them at the same theater, IMAX 3D, my local theater. The other 2 were the TCL Chinese in Laser IMAX 3D and Universal's AMC CityWalk IMAX 70mm, my only 2D viewing and only viewing on film. It was fantastic on both of the Los Angeles screens. I was there on business so I had to visit two of the best theaters in the world to see the movie!

Tonight in just about an hour will be my 14th viewing, so I'll put that in here for now since it'll be true in just a bit. It will be the official last IMAX screening of Rogue One at Bridgeport 18 in the Portland area. La La Land takes over our screen Friday. I will switch my viewings for the next week to Lloyd Cinemas, where their IMAX still will play Rogue One for another week. I'll go for #15 Friday night most likely.

I am a long, long ways from done. It seems most fans look at the movie coming out as some special event, whereas I see the movie coming out as a special window of a time period. The first screening is great and all, it's overrated, I usually enjoy my 2nd or 3rd viewing much more than the first. For me, it's not like oh yay, a Star Wars moving comes out, 1-3 years of anticipation (or more), and then I see it, life goes on. No, when a Star Wars movie comes out it's like a friend visiting town for a few months and it's a big deal. It becomes part of my life for the duration of the theatrical run. :D

Weather has legitimately ruined the Rogue One viewing count for me to this point. I count at minimum 4 times I didn't go because of snow / ice, and probably 5. For sure, yesterday, last Saturday, and opening Saturday come immediately to mind. There was 1-2 more that were iffy, and ended up staying home. I may have stayed home anyway one of those times but the other, I'd have gone. So I would have expected to be at nearly 20 by now and am disappointed with my count.

That being said, the movie will play in theaters for at least another 6-8 weeks around me, so there is still plenty of time. TFA played through March at my local theater and I kept seeing it until it was gone, 41 times in all. I suspect Rogue One will be around 25-30. I have trouble imagining only 25 because I'll probably already be at 15 by the end of tomorrow, and 10 more over the next 8 weeks is unlikely in the extreme. Especially because I'll take advantage of the last week in IMAX even though it means 75 minutes of driving total for the next week (grrr). That's why I would imagine my count finishes right around 30. It all just depends when I feel I've had my fill. Even if I am "done" seeing a Star Wars movie in theaters, I see it once every week it's in release somewhere around me out of respect for the specialness of the time period. I can't go back in time and see TFA again in IMAX, and I sure wish I could, even with as many times as I saw it. Plus, I could see ANY Star Wars movie once a week and still enjoy it. Star Wars is amazing.

Huttese 101 and SWRed7 like this.
  22. SWRed7

SWRed7 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    Bowen I live in the Chicago area. A small group of us have contemplated making the trip out to LA to see it in the TCL Chinese IMAX Laser. Good to know about AMC Citywalk as well. I know it sounds silly, but I don't care. I hope we can make it happen for VIII or IX.

Couldn't agree more about it being more than an event. I mentioned my 32 for TFA. That is why I'm heartbroken that a couple of surgeries have held me up in the past 2 and a half weeks. I'm only at 8 for Rogue One. But may be able to get out finally early next week. I may challenge you to a ridiculous competition for VIII. Haha. Enjoy the show tonight!

23. CrackedKyberCrystal

CrackedKyberCrystal Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2016
    I've seen it 9 times now. Love the heck out of this film. Will definitely see it in the theatre again.

Blue 5 likes this.
  24. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    So far I've only seen it twice. I'm thinking of seeing it once more. It was much better on my second viewing, even though I think the trailer still makes it look much better than it really is.

25. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Expectation is definitely an issue but I think also ambition, a film with a more complex setting is often easier to understand second time around and indeed I think "straighter" dialog that sets off my natural cynicism about pretension often sounds much better second/third/etc time around provided its well written.

I find the reverse with the modern blockbuster style though that I think is geared for maximum first time enjoyment whilst multiple viewings tend to make the holes in characterisation, plotting and setting more obvious.

Rogue One I liked significantly more on second viewing, TFA I liked somewhat less on second viewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.