main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How many versions of the Classic Trilogy are there?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Morgoth_Galaxius, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgoth_Galaxius

Morgoth_Galaxius Jedi Master

May 22, 2005
    Hello, I have some questions and need some help. I am wondering just how many different versions of the OT exist. Here is a short list I have compiled from my admittedly limited knowledge-

1. Original theatrical versions.

2. VHS Trilogy, with Lucas interviews. (I think that these are only remastered original versions, with nothing new added?)

3. Re-releases, with the new additions. (Jabba added into IV, new music scene in VI)

4. Latest versions. (I have heard of a new version, where Lucas added even more new material, such as the young Ani-ghost at the end of VI).

5. Speculated HD-DVD releases.

-----

Are these basically the main versions of the Classic Trilogy that have been released? Specifically, I mean versions that have something the other versions don't have, not just different regional or format changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to eventually aquire every version.

One more question, which of these versions are available on DVD?

Thank you very much!

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, that's basically it. Number four on your lsit are the DVDs out. Spculation remains on a Saga box set sometime in the future.

3. wanderer-bkb

wanderer-bkb Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2005
    1. The original Originals on VHS.
    2. The Digitally Enhanced VHS release (no changes made to films)
    3. The 1997 Special Editions (they were released in cinemas, they have changes throughout all the films)
    4. The 2004 box set DVD release (still more changes)

There is also a Laserdisc version of the original unchanged films, and fan made DVD's of the original unchanged films can be found on ebay.

4. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    1. The original Originals on VHS.
    2. Another VHS release
    3. The release of the films for the first time in widescreen VHS
    4. The Digitally Enhanced 1995 VHS and LD release (no changes made to films)
    5. The 1997 Special Editions (they were released in cinemas, they have changes throughout all the films)VHS and LD
    6. Another re-release of the Special Editions(poor transfer)VHS
    5. The 2004 box set DVD release (still more changes)

More to come, a High-Def version!!

5. Master_Ikrik

Master_Ikrik Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2004
    That's about it, but are you also counting all the different covers? cause there's a bunch, if you go to Europe or Asia it's different.

6. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    There is also the original Star Wars, with no episode 4 or ANH titling. I don't think it's availiable on home video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.