main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Metropolis could have inspired George Lucas

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Billy_Dee_Binks, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I finally got to see Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927), though I'm not quite finished watching it yet.
    Anyway, maybe there already was a discussion about some similarities or how GL was eventually inspired. If so you can lock this thread.

Joh Fredersen (Freder's father):
    Was this the inspiration for Grand Moff Tarkin? Not only does the actor Alfred Abel look like Peter Cushing he also has a similar body acting. His character is in a high position too as he runs Metropolis.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5555/joh.jpg
    http://pivarski.watson.org/metropolis/People/Fredersen.JPG

C.A. Rotwang, the inventor
    He lost his right hand and therefor wears a black glove just like Luke and Anakin.

http://hunter.apana.org.au/~gallae/hecate/images/media/metropolis_rotwang.jpg

HEL, the female Maschinen-Mensch.
    This was mentioned before. Ralph McQuarrie used her as a reference for C-3PO's design.

http://home.in.tum.de/~paula/pic/movie_posters/metropolis.jpg

Metropolis.
    The design of the city is iconic. Most Sci-Fi movies were inspired by it. Coruscant for example.

http://www.ulises-valiente.com/wakan/numero3/images/metropolis.jpg

Anything else? Any opinion about it?

2. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
  3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Well the threepio design is at least inspired by it, and since " Metropolis " is the first real Man vs. Machine film I guess you can go there also. Fact is, " Metropolis " has had some degree of influence on every sci-fi movie since it came out, especially " Brazil " and the " Matrix " . Its had a profound influence on Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein, both giants in the literary field. Regardless of any influence it may or may not have on SW, its a great film - the first real example of how deep and intelligent ( not to mention f'in cool looking ) a sci-fi/fantsy film can be. Come to think of it, if you really ponder on Palpatines adherence to technology and his machinations on the Banking Guild, Trade Federation and most especially the Techno-Union as the outward focal points of getting his Empire off the ground, you really could make a strong argument for Metropolis having a very profound influence on SW, but there is a plethora of other inspirations that melt in with it.

4. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    I know that it doesn't exactly belong here, but don't you think that "Metropolis" influence can be also found in THX-1138? I mean the ideas, story tone, mood. Of course it would be rather subtle reference and valid only to some extend.

5. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    Yes, your right, but keep in mind that almost every sci-fiction movie ever made since makes at the very least a subtle reference to it, just as every sci-fi movie since 1977 has made at least a subtle reference to SW.

6. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    No debate. Lucas himself has cited Metropolis as a source for "Star Wars".

7. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Not to mention the "Special Edition" of Metropolis that appeared in the 80s with rock music and a colourized print.;)

8. -techno-union-

-techno-union- Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    Lucas' next project should be a remake of Metropolis. I've heard Fritz Langs decendents won't let anyone touch it though.

9. Emos-Edud

Emos-Edud Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2002
    There is a decoy of sorts in the Maria and robot plot. One replaces the other.

As for remakes, you should check out this anime called "Metropolis." Original title, I know. It can be watched as either a sequel or a remake. Quite interesting, even for people who don't normally watch anime.

I'm not sure if this is related, but for a while Coppola was talking about making a huge sci-fi movie called Megalopolis about, you guessed it, a giant city.

10. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    If anyones interested there's an extremely well made animated rip-off of SW called " Starchaser: The Legend of Orin ", made in the mid-80's. Its rumored that Lucas himself gave his blessing to its creators as well as his insight and I gotta tell ya after watching it just once, I believe it. Its extremely rare and hard to get a hold off. I have a VHS copy of it ( Im pretty sure thats the only format ) if anyone wants me to mail it to them to dub, I have no problem with that, just send me a PM. If not Ebay sometimes floats out a copy. Be warned however - rip-off or homage - I can see where it might enrage some of the more fatalistic SW fans with the similarities. I think its great and have watched it several times after purchasing it about five years ago ( I saw it for the first time about 15 years ago on HBO at about three o'clock in the morning and hunted for it for years - just to give you an idea of the impression it left on me ). Im a little to the left and extremely tolerant with most things, so the Lucas being involved rumor aside - if SW rip-offs offend you, steer clear because its VERY similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.