main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How much better than Star Trek is Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Beny_Onbe, Jan 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    My loser-ish friend (not anymore) thinks Star Trek is better than Star Wars and could kick its butt (if he didn't live on the other side of the country I'd kick his butt). I'm holding my own in our argument (to put it nicely) but any help on how SW is better would be appreciated.

2. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    star wars is simply WAY cooler! you can just type in: star trek v star wars in a search engine and get many, many reasons why star wars is better... of course, it's not really a lit. topic... unless we make it EU v star trek books (which i know nothing about)...

3. Tsavong_Lah

Tsavong_Lah Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Look if someone paid you a million bucks to say on national T.V. that Startrek is cooler, you would refuse them.

Thats how much cooler Starwars is. Saying anything else is Blasphemy.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    The aliens are cooler and way more realistic, Based on real evolution. Theres definete heroes and it doesent go on forever.

5. roguewolf

roguewolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2001
    here's a few things:
    1-star destoyers
    2-stormtoopers
    3-YODA
    4- Starcruisers vs their enterprise ships
    5- we make a few good books with excellence, they make gazillions to make $$.

i can think of so much more but i assume you got it all covered =)

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Now, I'm definitely on the side of Star Wars in this debate... however, in terms of guest stars the recent was posted somewhere and it's sad because it's true...

When Star Trek goes out and gets guest stars... they get Stephen Hawking. When Star Wars goes out and gets guest stars... they get N'Sync... <sigh>...

7. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I don't believe that one is better than the other, they are just different.

8. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Look if someone paid you a million bucks to say on national T.V. that Startrek is cooler, you would refuse them.

No, I'd say Trek was better than Star Wars for a million dollars, but I'd be lying.

9. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Wouldn't the holodeck be cool in Star Wars:

Palpatine: Where is Vader??

Imperial Officer: He's in the holodeck.

Palpatine enters the holodeck to find Darth Vader in a mock-up of the Death Star Throne Room. Vader is sitting in the Emperor?s chair and Paply is kissing Vader's boot.

Vader: Who's your daddy??

Holographic Palpatine: You are Vader. You're my daddy. I searched my feelings and I know it to be true!!

Palpatine: VADER!!!!

Vader: Oh....uhhhh....hi....ummmm...I can explain.

10. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Theres ewoks!!!!!!!!!

11. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    No, I wouldn't do it for a million bucks. If you want an example, compare the ship names: Aggregator, Executor compared to what? Voyager? Come on, it's obvious (except to severely deluded ppl,of course).
    And, is it just me or are most ST ppl bald?

12. roguewolf

roguewolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2001
    A squad of X-wings could destroy Voyager..
    no make that a squad of Z-95 Headhunters...no make that a squad of TIEs..

hell a Ewok at the helm of a Cloud Car could lite up the Voyager!!

=)

13. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Star Wars has the Millennium Falcon, Star Trek has Runabouts.

14. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    How much tastier are apples than oranges? The two franchises are completely different entities, with completely different points. One is a good vs. evil, fantastic tale of redemption. The other is a vision of a possible earth future. And as to the comment that Star Wars "doesn't go on forever" -- first of all, right now Trek shows and stories cover something like 200 years, 350 or 400 I think if you count the EUgenics Wars books. Wars covers something like 5,000 years, with more unchronicled history even further back. If you're talking about production years, Wars is only 11 years behind Trek and neither show signs of stopping.

And while most of the Trek novels aren't as good as Wars novels, that's not saying much, because most of the books from either franchise aren't too great. And some of the Trek episodes have been simply outstanding.

And, beny, based on your first post, I'd guess you don't know much about Trek. How can you POSSIBLY argue a point without knowing the merits and faults of the other side? It's like two kids playing soldier:

Kid #1: Haha, I shot you

Kid #2: No, it only hit me in the finger, I'm still alive, and now I blew you up with my bazooka

Kid #1: Good thing it missed, because it would've killed you too if it blew up

Kid #2: No it wouldn't and I didn't miss anyways

Kid #1: Yuh-huh

Kid #2: Nuh-uh

15. Tsavong_Lah

Nov 29, 2001
    Forget all that "They are not better just different stuff"

STARWARS is Better. End of Story!

:D :D

16. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Aggregator, Executor compared to what? Voyager?

Unfair. There's plenty of other Trek names -- who wouldn't want to fly a ship called the Crazy Horse? The Defiant? And there's plenty of wimpy Wars ship names, as well. Saying one franchise is better than the other based on a completely subjective point proves nothing.

The aliens are cooler and way more realistic, Based on real evolution. Theres definete heroes and it doesent go on forever.

Yeah, Wookiees and Ewoks are evolutionarily much more likely than Klingons or Hortas. Give me a break. There are definite Trek heroes, as well -- or are you going to tell me that Kirk isn't a hero?

17. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    1-star destoyers
    2-stormtoopers
    3-YODA
    4- Starcruisers vs their enterprise ships
    5- we make a few good books with excellence, they make gazillions to make $$.

1-Defiant
    2-red shirts have approximately the same role
    3-Q or Spock, take your pick
    4-Enterprise, despite being a science vessel, would kick most Star Cruisers' ass
    5-refer to my point in an above post

Here's a challenge: To keep things objective, someone go post the same challenge at a Star Trek forum and see what kind of answers you get...

18. Tsavong_Lah

Nov 29, 2001
    Yeah I know Ewoks are........

But still its better than having every alien in the Galaxy look like they evolved into Humans or Human looking Creatures. Although I do remember that epsiode of TNG were Picard and friends found that message from those aliens that seemingly created all life in the Galaxy, and that they said you are all related to each other.

19. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    But still its better than having every alien in the Galaxy look like they evolved into Humans or Human looking Creatures

Okay, so you have Hutts. What else? Twi'leks, Wookiees, Sandpeople, Jawas, Gungans, 95% of the cantina aliens and Jabba's palace aliens and Tatooine aliens all are humaniform, just with different masks or features. Not to mention the extragalactic creatures that look MORE human than most of the others. As you've pointed out, at least Star Trek came up with an excuse, lame as it may be.

20. Koonie

Koonie Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    I did not, I repeat, DID NOT just hear Mastadge say the Enterprise would kick most Star Cruisers ass. What the...how did ya come up with that???

Lets compare (pardon the numbers, they're not exact):
    Star Destroyer: 50 Turbolasers/ Ion Cannons, heavy shields, tons of armor, a crew of thousands, a kilometer long, elite crew and captain, advanced systems.

Enterprise: Something like 5 Phasers, and 2 or 3 Photon Torpedo Launchers, shields, some armor (c'mon a Photon Tropedo dents it like tinfoil), a crew of a couple hundred, about 500 meteres long, a crew that is constantly getting killed by everything from a deadly flower to countless core failures (not to mention an andriod with a wit drier than the Sahara Desert), and marginally advanced systems.

And something I never understood: If, in Star Trek, its possible to disassemble a body, transport its particles over thousands of kilometers, and then reassemble them, how come the ships move slower than my grandmother on Nyquil? Where's the logic in that?

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm not even gonna start on technical debates. I neither know nor care how many terrajoules it takes to blow up an asteroid, and compare that to the power of a phaser. All I know is that they both have their ups and downs. EDIT: besides, since Star Cruisers and Star Destroyers were listed as two seperate entities, I interpreted that to mean smaller Cruisers, not big Destroyers.

My loser-ish friend (not anymore) thinks Star Trek is better than Star Wars

I'm just wondering, did he cease to be your friend, and do you consider him "loser-ish," BECAUSE of his interest in Star Trek?

22. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I think Star Trek is okay. I enjoy some of the movies, the TV shows ( if I'm absolutely bored with nothing to do ) and I may read one of the novels someday. But I don't count on it.

ST is kind of a mixed bag. The quality varies with whatever you're getting. You can get awesome movies like The Wrath of Khan and First Contact, and then real ---tbags like Insurrection and The Motion Picture. ( IMO. ) Even the ST fans themselves seem to be divided on ther merits of each of the TV series. Even before Gene Roddenberry passed away, he was not fully in control of his own saga ( from what I know, please correct me if I'm wrong. ) Supposedly he was forced to change a lot of things when making The Next Generation. Also, when working with the writers of the show, he basically made them forget about using the 70's cartoon when creating the official timelines and such. He didn't like it.

Now that he's gone and Paramount owns the franchise, they seem to squeeze every dollar out of the hardcore fans, the way I see it. I mean...1-2 new novels each month? There's thousands. As for the future of Trek...It doesn't look as bright as Star Wars. Both will fade, but only because SW will have no more movies. Trek seems to be pushed on just to make money. Not too many young people seem to be interested in it ( compared to SW ) so it's lifespan will likely be shorter.

Star Wars, on the other hand, is a bit more consistent. IMO, it's a lot more quality over quantity. We have a dedicated book line overseen by good continuity editors. All of the stories lock together in a massive continuity, often referencing eachother -- no matter what the source is. There's hundreds of quality technical and RPG books. The comics are often very very good, going back since 1977. We have excellent videogames made by the best in the business. The movies aren't made just for profit...they tell a story, and a good deal of time is spent on preperation and getting everything right. The special effects are top-notch, the sounds are awesome, and most importantly...

You get Padme with a ripped-up skintight white jumpsuit, blasting away Geonosians with a big gun.

23. Koonie

Koonie Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2002
    "You get Padme with a ripped-up skintight white jumpsuit, blasting away Geonosians with a big gun."

Ain't that the truth... :D

24. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    I enjoy both, equally.

25. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Deep Space Nine was the best series by far, its theme was the best.
    and the awesome battle in What you leave behind part 1 and 2 was one of the best ive seen.

In star trek there is also little debate over Canon vs the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.