main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How much did Count Dooku know?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JevanShevu, Jan 4, 2013.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It was almost ridiculous that Dooku couldn't tell that Palpatine was planning to replace him with an insanely powerful and malleable young Jedi teetering on the dark-side of the Force.

2. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    I was watching ROTS last night and the part where Anakin kills Dooku got me wondering. Did Dooku knew who he was? He seemed surprised when Palpatine ordered the kill.

Also this might not be the right place to ask anymore but are there any books about him? Darth Plagueis really got me intrigued on how he left the Jedi for sith and so on..

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    ROTS Novelisation makes it clear that he did know, but Sidious had told him that the plan was to kill Obi Wan and Anakin, not to have them kill him.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Correction: He told Dooku to kill Obi-Wan, and lower Anakin's morale so he could be persuaded to join them

Darkslayer and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  5. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yes, Dooku knew full well of Sidious' alternate identity; that's the main reason he was so shocked to hear the kill order.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If you keep in mind that he knows when he tells Obi-Wan about Sidious, it becomes almost ridiculously obvious what he's saying:

1. The Republic is under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith.

2. Hundreds of Senators are under the influence of a Sith Lord called Darth Sidious.

He's more or less telling Obi-Wan that Sidious is the Supreme Chancellor!

Revanfan1, TX-20, SlashMan and 3 others like this.
  7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    However, the Jedi didn't think Dooku was telling the truth with that statement. And even later on, when they realized that Sidious had infiltrated the highest levels of the government, they didn't suspect Palpatine himself. They thought Sidious was one of Palpatine's advisors, Mas Amedda or Sate Pestage or someone.

Revanfan1, Lady_Misty and Bob Octa like this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But the question is if Dooku knew Sidious was Palpatine. And he did.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes, it is blatantly obvious that Dooku knew who Sidious was.

As for the OP's other question, apart from Darth Plagueis, the novels that feature the Dooku the most are Labyrinth of Evil and Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

Rauno likes this.
  10. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Yeah - it seems that Dooku knew of Sidious' real identity (or vice versa depending on how you look at it).

As for the Jedi not putting two and two together...utterly ridiculous. Even if they thought that Dooku was planting seeds of doubt to divide the Jedi Order from the Republic - it was still stupid. Especially since they constantly said the Dark Side surrounds Palpatine. Even if they meant that figuratively and not via the Force - surely they had enough suspicion that Palpatine was at least in league with Sidious?

11. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    In ROTS, they did. That's why they asked Anakin to spy on him.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd say it was shown clearly Tyranus knew who Sidious was. He simply retained a bit of his Jedi heart in trusting his Master too much hence his shock at the execution call.

13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    I always thought Dooku did know and as has been canvassed above - there's a number of clear reasons to conclude he did know.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    True. True. Although, it still seems peculiar that, that would be the option they would opt for. I know without definitive proof - they weren't going to kick down the doors and arrest Palpatine, but it is overwhelmingly stupid the Jedi put one of their own to stand by Palpatine (whom they suspect has deep ties to the Sith). One of their own who was volatile, quick to anger, easily manipulated, emotional, and sympathetic to Palpatine. If they suspected that Palpatine was in league with Sidious, they practically handed Anakin to the dark side on a silver platter.

I guess that was more of Lucas showing the Jedi Order were truly blind...

15. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Anakin was the Council's only viable option as a spy; they didn't select him because of his talents with espionage but rather his close association with Palpatine. It was a gamble that ultimately failed, but they had sound reasons for relying on Anakin.

16. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Dooku did know of the identity of Sideous/Palpatine. The reason why Dooku looked shocked at the moment he realized he was going to die was because he did not prove himself to be a worthy apprentice of Sideous. Sith apprenticeship is a competition for who is the strongest, and because Dooku was inferior to Anakin, which is why he lost the duel, Sideous ordered him to die since Anakin unknowingly proved himself to be the better of the two.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Palpatine had spoken with Dooku prior to this scene. The conversation played out something like, "Kill Kenobi, then fight Skywalker. If you should defeat him, then this proves he is not worthy to join us. If by some chance he should defeat you however, I will intervene to spare you any unnecessary embarrassment."

He never counted on Palpatine ordering Anakin to kill him. But treachery is the way of the Sith.

SerRoel, mes520 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Dooku knew about Sidious/Palpatine; I have no doubt.

The Jedi didn't really think that Palpatine was Sidious because Palpatine already controlled the Senate.

19. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    Where'd you get this? A novel?

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes- the RoTS novelization, and I think also Labyrinth of Evil.

Revanfan1 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wish that scene with Dooku and Sidious had been in the movie.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm glad it didn't. It would weaken Dooku as a character. Why would Dooku believe Sidious would spare him if Anakin had defeat him?

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I disagree. I feel it would have strengthened his character. The audience would have understood his character better, his goals, the plan, or what he thought he was the plan.

As for why Dooku believed Sidious, he made a mistake many made in the PT. Being too trusting of Palpatine. Also Dooku believed he could defeat Anakin, and he was only going to pretend defeat iirc

24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Ignoring the nonsense that is the EU.....

IMHO, Episode 2 makes it clear Dooku knows Sidious = Palpatine. He tells Obi-Wan that the Senate is under control of the Dark Lord, plus he has that end-of-movie discussion with Sidious. I guess you could say E3 by itself doesn't really make it clear, but that's because the audience has already been informed that Dooku is in on the whole thing.

WAC-47 likes this.
  25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Please stop with your EU bashing. The mods have repeatedly told you to stop.

mes520 likes this.