main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How much did Jerjerrod know about the Sith?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, May 1, 2016.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Jerjerrod is bery afraid when Vader says that Sheev is on his way, and Sheev says "Young Skywalker will be one of us" to Vader and Jerjerrod. However, we know that the majority of Imperials thought that Sheev was a weak old man who was assaulted by Mace Windu. Was Jerjerrod privy to more than the average Imperial?

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    That's very difficult to answer, IMHO.

In the first ROJ screenplay stages Jerjerrod was Vader's new nemesis, having been somewhat elevated to an Emperor right hand man (or Tarkin substitute) at the expense of Vader (and possibly been exposed to knowledge the average Imperial wasn't aware of).

Undoubtedly, the Emperor needed to have full trust in the man who would have become commander of the most terrifying WMD you could think of.

But as the film neared completion, it would appear that his significance was largely reduced / reversed to the point where it was no longer Jerjerrod mocking / scaring Vader but the other way round.

The deleted elevator scene where he denies Vader access to the Emperor looks to me like a remnant of the first drafts. I'm glad this scene was deleted, because I think Jerjerrod would have had better things to do like managing the ongoing final construction of the Death Star than to make sure the Emperor wasn't disturbed (that's what the red guards were for anyway, right?). ;)

KOBBRA and oierem like this.
  3. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I agree. In the final film Jerjerrod is just another Piett. He only has one dialogue scene in which his role is to be afraid of Vader.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'm guessing nothing. Most people in the Galaxy, even Imperial officers privy to high profile projects knew very little of the Force, the Jedi, and especially the Sith. Only a handful were aware of Palpatine's true identity, and I doubt Palpatine went around showing off his Force abilities. He's supposed to be a kindly public servant, scarred by an assassination attempt from the Jedi. Truthfully, it seems that, through the help of Imperial propaganda, the Jedi's heroic acts during the Clone Wars were severely downplayed, and that most of their feats were considered storybook tales, a sentiment perpetuated by the Empire. Plus, anybody old enough to remember the Jedi during the Clone Wars were probably too afraid to speak of the Jedi or the Force out of fear of attracting unwanted Imperial attention. IF Jerjerrod overheard the Emperor, it's likely he would have assumed "us" meant the Empire rather than the Sith.

Lt. Hija and AshiusX like this.
  5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Basically the guy was afraid the boss was coming to inspect his progress. Nobody wants to be in the bad books of the big boss.

6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Dinos4Ever wrote

Only a handful were aware of Palpatine's true identity, and I doubt Palpatine went around showing off his Force abilities.

We can see him using a cane to walk after he arrived on the Death Star. Whether that's partially due to physical limitations (his mental Sith powers disregarding) is unknown, but it certainly would have given some people some wrong ideas about his overall condition and create a deliberately misleading wrong impression.

IMHO, it's a clever tactic Palpatine used, because it encouraged traitors to get bold. And by the time any traitors realized he wasn't the old and weak man, they thought he'd be, they'd be dead. [face_skull]