CT How much did owen know about anakin/vader?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by kenobifan1999, Dec 29, 2012.

Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    I see Leia keeping the name "Skywalker" as riskier simply because Leia was adopted by a rather high profile family. Bail's a galactic Senator, after all, and his wife is Queen of a planet. Also, there's the fact that I can imagine that Padmé and Bail's friendship would have been much more widely known. We see Bail go into Padmé's pod once he returns to Coruscant, after all. There might be some (such as Palpatine) who could make the connections.

For the Larses, though, the only ones we ever see who visit them are Anakin and Padmé and Padmé is now dead. The Jedi Council likely knew about the family since Anakin would have had to explain why he broke their orders, but it doesn't seem like common knowledge. Thus, Anakin would be the only that Obi-Wan would have to worry about finding out the truth. And Tatooine is far away from the center of the Empire. I think Luke's risk is therefore substantially lower than Leia's.

Also, just a minor point, but Leia was actually adopted into the family, so I think it only makes sense for her to take Bail Organa's last name. Luke was raised by the Larses, but they wanted him to know that he was just their nephew. That fact might have played a role.

I was simply suggesting that since Jedi aren't allowed to have children, Owen Lars might be a bit suspicious about why the Empire would be hunting Anakin's child in the first place, if such situation exists. What I mean is I think Owen Lars would have liked an explanation as to why the Empire knew about Luke in the first place. I think he'd have realized that, unless there's someone on Coruscant who would have an interest in Luke, there's really no reason for anyone to be looking for him since Jedi weren't believed to have children. If that makes sense. But I imagine that Owen might also have been suspicious of Obi-Wan's motives if he tried to get him to change Luke's name and not done so for that reason as well.
  2. Samuel Vimes Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  3. PiettsHat Force Ghost

star 4
    @Samuel Vimes

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that changing Luke's name would have been safer. It would have been. I just don't think it mattered as much as Leia's did is all. What I was really proposing was that Owen might have wanted to keep the name Skywalker due to some of the reasons I mentioned and would not have been persuaded that anyone would be looking for Anakin's child (since Anakin himself was believed dead and Jedi were prohibited from having children). Thus, Obi-Wan might simply have decided that having Luke keep the name "Skywalker" was safer than telling Owen the truth about Anakin becoming Vader.

In regards to Anakin's name being recorded for the Boonta Eve, I highly doubt that. Mostly because, legally, slaves were non-persons. So I imagine that the win would have been recorded as Watto's.

In regards to the name, again, I think it just comes down to Owen being suspicious about Obi-Wan. Because even if Obi-Wan said that someone else in the Empire knew Anakin had a child, Owen might believe that there's no reason to worry since there's never really been a connection made between the Lars and the Skywalkers. At least, not a connection that anyone could find out without knowing a lot of information already. Owen might have suspected that Obi-Wan wanted the name changed for a different reason and given how little Owen seems to like Obi-Wan in ANH, that wouldn't surprise me.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face