main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how much do you Vikings know about USA?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Granola, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granola

Granola Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2001
    Sorry if Vikings is considered a stereotype, but i am from the U.S. Do you watch any American sports or movies. What kind of vibe do we get from you guys, are we on your good side? I like the Scandanavian countries, how cold does it get up in northern Norway? What is up with the cross thing on all of your flags and whay are they all different colors. What is the national sport of each one of the countries, and what do you guys think of Icelandic people. And another thing, is there european looking people on Greenland, or do they all look like Eskimos?

2. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    The cross thing on our flags has stayed with us since the time we all had to be christians. Like 80%+ of the movie output here comes from the USA.
    I consider you Americans evil though my government doesn't agree with me.

3. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Okay let's see. Hockey is popular over here, and we do care a little of the NHL although we've got a league here in Sweden that is concidered to be the best right after the NHL.

How cold it gets? It can go down to abot -40 och -50 degrees Celcius.

As for the flags... why we have different colors on them might have to do with the fact that we are different counties... you don't have the same flag as Canada, do you? The Cross is just like Erk said for the christian thing. The flags go way back when the curch was just as powerful as the king, if not more powerful.

The Icelandics? Oh, yeah, those guys.. norweigan runnaways from the 900 A.D. What about them?

I never been to greenland... although I´know that it in fact is not green at all!

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And then of course we have the really nice game of bandy, very popular in Finland and Sweden, but it exists in Norway too.

And there are some people who aren't inuits on Greenland.

5. Chade

Chade Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2002
    I would guess that "Vikings" know more about the USA than the "Emigrants" knows about Scandinavia... ;-)

Bandy is a popular sport in some parts of Sweden, but not where I come from (Malmö, in the very southmost end of Sweden) since it isn't cold enough in the winter there...

Why do you think we should think anything bout the Icelandics? The few I've known are very nice. :)

The danish flag (the "Danebrogen") is the oldest national flag in the world as far as I know. I'm not sure about the crosse on the flags, but I trust the other posters... :)

I Denmark bycycling and badminton are very popular sports.
    In Sweden it's Hockey and Biathlon... ;-)

6. Paranorina

Paranorina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Scandinavien culture is pretty close to Amrican culture on many points.

And Im sure we know alot more about you, then you know about us [face_devil]

7. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    There is a saying: "Everyone knows the monkey but the monkey doesn't know anyone!"... Apply it as you wish! ;)

8. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    I wonder how insulted he will be if he is called monkey :p

9. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Granola: I am also an American. I have only been to Norway, but hopefully that will change come this time next year. (I plan to hit Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway in 2-3 weeks next summer)

What I found was that Norwegians were extremely friendly and helpful people. All but one (who was a recent immigrant from Turkey) spoke English so well you will feel like complete crap when you find that their 2nd language is (in some cases) better (or as good) than your first. Often times they speak a little bit of others as well.

Theaters and television shows use subtitles instead of dubbing because the majority of viewers can understand what is being spoken and dubbing is distracting.

American and British shows seem to be a large part of the TV repetoire.

It also struck me that, especially the people in Bergen, treated a Sunny Summer Friday night as a reason to go completly nuts.

Going there made me want to learn to speak Norwegian.

I highly recommend going there...during the summer at least.

I'll take a few of you up on your "We know more about you than you do about us" challenge. If you crush me then you would crush most Americans, because I am interested in Nordic history, culture and language (though language wise I can't compete, we don't exactly have Icelandic courses in school here) more than your average yank.

Though you all are usually a cut above in your respective countries.

--Joey

10. flugan

flugan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    i think the question is how much does americans know about anything? u see the avrage american and he would not be able to point to europe on a map..do you even know where japan is without having a map in front of you? probably not. we know more about america than you guys know about the whole world.. i guess thats because you are all ignorant ad really dont give a damn about countries besides your own until after you bombed and destroyed them completly.. i figured this is a way for your govement to teach children about international affairs..wrong way to do it yall..

11. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    That is not entirely true Flugan. It is not emphasized as much because of two major things (both of the which are related)

1. We are the economic/cultural/military superpower of the world. We can fight the war on terror by ourselves (though we do appreciate Norway, the British, Germany and I guesss the frenchhh :p, for helping us out)

2. We are a LARGE country! I haven't compared areas but I would think the US is larger in area than (at least Western) Europe.

We can afford to be somewhat isolationist because of our naturally large base. As for geography, I agree 100%. It scares me how little some know (these are college students too!). I don't expect someone to be able to label all of the countries in the world but everyone should be able to do 100% of North America 80% Western Europe (The Benelux nations give people the most problems) 60% of South America 50% of Asia 30% of Africa.

Let's face it, it is easier to know where countries are that are always in the news.

So while everyone should know where Morrocco is Burkino Faso might be a stretch (especially since that name changed within the last few years)

--Joey

--Joey

12. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    Hey Joey, if you want Flugan, you can have him! We don't want him anymore! ;)

13. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Joey, you're right. It's easy to remember countries that are mentioned often in news. But if have understood correctly, Americans don't get many news from other countries while here in Finland we have news about who got elected to Kirgisian parliament.

But still I don't how many Europeans really know much about America. Sure we know all the basic stuff, but who can tell any differences between Indiana and Ohio. There was a test in Finnish schools couple of years ago where kids were asked to place New York, Washington, Los angeles, San Fransisco, Chicago and New Orleans to a map (There were six numbers on the map marking these cities). These are perhaps best known American cities in Europe but very few got more than one right. I think it's quite alarming if you place LA to the east coast.

I can place every country in the world and all the states of USA on a map and I can name most of their capitals but I have always enjoyd to study maps. But I and certainly most of the other Europeans know less about America than we think.

14. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Tod: I understand what you mean. We get news about foreign governments it is just that most people don't care.

I am guilty of that as well! I really don't care abut the Uzbeks. I have no idea what type of government they have, what language they speak, what food they eat etc.

I care more about Europe, Some parts of Eastern Asia, and The Americas.

I also like to look at maps :)

I would think that most Europeans should be able to mark off Florida, California, New York, Michigan, New Orleans and Texas.

Maladour Fei, and no I was not offering to adopt Flugan ;)
    Dear god no! :p

So Tod, you can name and place every country? That is awesome! I think I can do about 80%

--Joey

15. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    Joey: Well, It was worth a try. ;)

16. flugan

flugan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002

edit// a bit too agressive there. [face_love]

17. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Flugan:

I could point out London and Glasgow. I am not sure about some of the others but I could take an educated guess. No, we don't think of you all as vikings. Actually, if anything, you all are thought of as being very smart and very liberal. Jenny Jones and others represent the lowest of the low in America today. Those people are always trash. Don't go by that show, and don't go by "Jeopardy!": that would be an elevated look at Americans.

I know where macedonia is...I think..

The "newer" countries I am less sure of.

I understand not everyone loves the US. I gather that most of Europe has slightly about neutral to positive (on average) opinions of the United States. I agree with Maladour, I love everything about the US! ;) Well that is not quite true, but I am very happy with the great majority of it.

I am from Tampa Florida. Don't let the southern location fool you, I love the 10-20 degree weather of Norwegian summers!

Tampa does have its perks, one is that winter is my favorite season whereas if any of you said that, you would have to be checked out by a psychologist.

If Norway during June was the way Norway was all year round and your taxes weren't as high [\runs screaming away from taxes!] you might have another immigrant :p.

The ultimate would be to have a summer house in Norway, but I here all of Scandinavia is very strict about purchasing land, especially from foreign interests.

Scandinavian pros and cons:

Pros:
    Great scenery
    Great food
    Fun sounding languages
    Beautiful girls
    High Salaries

Cons:
    Bleak winters
    High Taxes

As you can see the pros outweigh the cons!

--Joey

edit: corrected some grammar

18. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Joey don't you like snow or did I misunderstand you? Anyway there's nothing more fun than Finnish winter.

19. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    LOL I'm just curious, Flugan and Joey... but where did I say that I love everything about the US? ;) I'm pro the US but mostly because I've got two great friends that are Americans.

Oh, and the winters... Love them... could be more snow though...

The worst thing about the nordic countries is that it's hard to go surfing here... There are only something like 4 or 5 spots where the waves get surfable...

20. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I got your opinions of the US from Flugan. Don't blame me :p

Tod, I love the snow for skiing and winter sports. However, I would not like it for long periods of time and also the bleakness associated with it. In Tampa we rarely go more than 24 hours without seeing the sun. When that happens it is very odd indeed (hurricanes can do that to us).

I like cold weather and snow but not grey skies that hitchhike along with them.

--Joey

21. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    If you like sun you should go to Lapland during summertime. Sun won't go down for couple of months or something like that. (And during winter you won't see sun for couple of months.)

22. THAM_Adam

THAM_Adam Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    Yes but in the winter you can practic the gratest sport i mankindhistory: Cross Country Skiing.

You have to excuse my spelling and gramar

23. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    And ofcourse Snowboarding... but snowboarding is actually a lot better over in the US than it is up here...

24. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Snowboarding is very difficult!

I spent more time in the snow than on the board. :D

--Joey

25. Maladour-Fei

Oct 17, 2000
    I actually think that you have a lot for free when it comes to snowboarding if you are a surfer or a skateboarder. Although snowboarding has more in comon with skiing than other boardsports. I picked it up in a few hours when I begun boarding some 7 years ago... But you are right, there is a lot of sitting-in-the-snow time. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.