main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions How much had technology advanced since the OT?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Barkey Foreman, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barkey Foreman

Barkey Foreman Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2014
    I'm not familiar with the EU but I know KOTOR takes place at least 1000 years prior to the original.

From what I seen in KOTOR and earlier works than the OT such as the PT, technology has not advenced so much. Now Star Wars is futuristic to begin with so it sort of make sense the gap in technology in earlier works such as the PT is not that much.

But still when I explore EU works recently taking place centuries, if not millenia prior to the OT such as KOTOR, it does not feel like anything has advenced in the OT timeline. If anything recently replaying KOTOR and checking out EU spinoffs makes me feel like the whole Galaxy has always remained the same. If anything some techs in the EU spinoffs before the OT such as the Mandalorian army's weapons in KOTOR feels much more advanced than the OT! The only thing I can think of in the OT thats really more advanced than anything else prior is the Death Star (which has been in the works since the PT so its doesn't feel as old as say a WW1 Airplane VS WW2 fighterplanes).

Is the Star Wars verse a stagnated one?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually KOTOR takes place very nearly 4000 years before the original.

I'm not sure what's progressed the most - maybe interdiction technology? Interdictors have gone from being ships with massive globes and reduced firepower - to ships externally almost indistinguishable from standard ones.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Technological progress in Star Wars is depicted very inconsistently. Like you said, KOTOR looks just like the OT, but go back just a few decades in-universe and you've got stuff that looks much older. Then you've got what seems like a massive regression in droid technology between the PT and OT. And then there's all those Imperial superweapons which they only ever create one or two of, and subsequently forget how to build them.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said, Alpha Red. Though I think part of the issue is also that the OT is older itself then much of the content of the timeline set before it so the RL tech advancements used on the older era thinks actually make it seem in some ways sleeker and more modern adding to the incongruity.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to EUC - Barkey Foreman, please note that the Saga and CT forums are, for the most part, for discussions about the films only, not the EU. Thanks

6. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well, in the EU they are still using good old ISD's some 40 years after Yavin sooooo...

If it ain't broke don't fix it applies until at least Legacy. And that's the comic Legacy, not Legacy of the Force.

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Considering how absurdly expensive ISD's are, I think it actually makes sense to have them around for decades, or even centuries. With some upgrades, they'd most likely still be some of the biggest and baddest ships around. What does not make sense to me is how the KOTOR-era ships are still being used 3,000 years later.

8. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I view KOTOR and TOR as inaccurate depictions of the era (possibly holodramas), with TOTJ being what the era actually looked like.

Gamiel and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember the first time I read TOTJ and KOTOR and being thrown off at how things had evolved from TOTJ to KOTOR.

Gamiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.