Discussion How Much Influence Will Lucas Have on ST? Here's a possible answer...

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by darth ladnar, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Lurknomore Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I doubt Disney would pay 4.5 billion dollars not to have total control over their new acquisition. I think Lucas just knows the folks at Disney and trusts them to do a good job with the universe he's created. And I'm sure they are taking his advice into consideration while making VII. But a contractual obligation to stick with his treatments? No.

If they follow Lucas' original story it'll be because they wanted to, not because they had to.
  2. Kabal Force Ghost

star 2

11.38% is a good estimate, but honestly, with JJ Abrams now directing, you can expect George's influence to rise to 47%. ;)
  3. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm hoping he will as much influence as possible
  4. Beezer Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I have no doubt that contractually speaking, Disney owns these characters 100%. They are not going to spend $4.5 billion only to have Lucas maintain creative control. This is a recipe for ugliness.

I also have no doubt that everyone involved is going to listen very closely to anything Lucas says and completely respect his wishes, follow his ideas, etc.
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Looks like almost nothing. I hope its almost everything.
  6. Darkslayer Force Ghost

star 4
    How did you get that impression? We know he at least came up with the story idea, and IMO that's more than "almost nothing."
    Last edited by Darkslayer, May 2, 2014
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Juwbacca Jedi Knight

I too hope GL has some serious input on these movies. Otherwise, they just won't have the same feel to them. Lucas' vision is where his genius lies. His vision carries through all 6 movies. That is what Disney invested in with their 4.05 billion dollars. Regardless of the PT shortcomings, it was GL's vision that still held our interest and why they still 'felt' like Star Wars to us(or at least most IMO). Great directing, acting, and dialogue will not mean anything unless Abrams and Disney utilize Lucas for what he does best.
    stormcloud8 likes this.
  8. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I don't understand the Lucas hatred here. If you hate Lucas, why are you on a message board discussing Star Wars?

Star Wars was his creation. I get that he's not the greatest film director ever, he's not the greatest writer of dialogue, he's not great at managing acting, but what he is is a creative genius.

One of the largest parts of this deal with Disney is his story outlines that he sold with the deal.

I for one hope his contributions factor in significantly. He doesn't have creative control, but we'll feel his creative touch over the next several films. If I preferred Disney to Lucas I'd be on a message board discussing Pirates of the Caribbean, not on a message board discussing Star Wars.
  9. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    We thank Lucas for making the greatest movie Saga ever but some of his changes over the years are questionable. Also while he made Star Wars, SW is bigger than him. We could like the characters/actors, books/comics etc and not have to like Lucas. I'm not going to blindly follow him like some others on here would. We are on the boards for Star Wars. Not for Lucas. For POTC and Disney I would be on the boards for POTC and not Disney. Yeah Lucas will have involvement but don't have him go overboard. He has pretty good ideas but don't go overboard while executing them.
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    His ideas have been great.

His concept of an overall story, or his not giving a **** about an overall story when he can make a whim happen for "dramatic effect"? Not so much.
    Dewback and Force Smuggler like this.
  11. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm eager to see the behind-the-scenes Blu Ray documentary on the making of Episode VII and hope it has Lucas explaining how he decided to go forward with it, how he conceived it, and how much of it was his ideas.
    Last edited by Bobatron, May 20, 2014
    Darkslayer likes this.
  12. Kabal Force Ghost

star 2

I don't understand this sentiment. I'm sure it's born of the thought that you didn't care for Jar Jar Binks and the prequels as a whole, but the universe created here is a masterpiece and there is so much rich material to mine that can be made into movies (or other projects). I get the sense that a lot of people think Lucas is that crazy uncle at family functions that no one pays any attention to anymore but in reality that uncle made the family what it is today.
  13. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Jar Jar isn't my most favorite character ever but he has some good moments in TCW. I also love the Prequels. Not as much as the OT but still like them so try again. His story is engaging even though some of his ideas are not to my taste. His changes to the movies after they have come out aren't good either. Make sure the story is to his vision but don't micro manage every single thing.
  14. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think the primary influence will be the basic story arc which is how this new trilogy even exists in the first place. Further influence may depend on whatever that is. If it deeply involves the Force, Jedi, and Sith, Lucas's input may get sought more often or at least might have been in the planning stages. Lucas might not be that into every stylistic detail, but STAR WARS is influential enough to where Abrams or any director would try to do what they think would be what Lucas would do storywise.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Don't forget Crystal Skull.

Awful isn't it having those relative handful of fans backlashing on you and all you can do is count the billions the movies made to console you.

Tough times!
  16. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Are the standalones based on ideas by Lucas?