How much Japanese do you need to know to get around Tokyo?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by kingthlayer, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    This may seem like a stupid question, and I'm sorry for it. But someday I'd like to visit Tokyo, however I know very little Japanese. Is English spoken there at all? How good would I have to be with the Japanese language?
  2. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    :( I guess not many people frequent these boards, eh?
  3. MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
  4. Sebastian_Valmont Jedi Youngling

5. DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling

star 4
    That depends on how much rice you can eat.
  6. Tucker_blueteam Jedi Youngling

Im pretty sure that most places have some English Signs and sutff for travelers.
  7. Airie-Chan Jedi Youngling

Some of the people in toyko can speak english! We learn it you know, but I'd say you have to be able to speak it fluently!
  8. Gandhi Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Japanese is a barbaric language.
  9. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    UPDATE

Hey guys I'm taking Japanese now.
  10. xie Jedi Knight

star 5
    Good to know! Keep us posted!
  11. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    UPDATE II

Hey Japanese Star Wars fans. I got an award in Japanese, if anybody wants to converse with me via PM, please let me know. I could really use the practice.

Anyway, I know some basic Japanese and can read/write about 80 kanji. Given that the average Japanese can do well over 2,000, I doubt I could survive on my own in the country. Is this true?
  12. Whimper Jedi Master

star 4
    You can survive, trust me. I knew about 100 kanji when I got here three years ago, and now can probably read about 500 or so now, but I'm doing fine.

There's a difference between being fluent, being able to read a newspaper, and 'surviving'. And it's so much easier to learn Japanese when you're surrounded by it anyways.
  13. jedi_john_33 Jedi Knight

star 7
    I'm pretty comfortable with hiragana right now, and just started katakana.

And I know 1-10 in kanji...but just their On reading.

I've heard that in Japan a lot of the signs and such have english or romanji anways...is that true?
  14. kingthlayer Jedi Master

star 4
    Whimper posted on 3/9/05 5:05am

There's a difference between being fluent, being able to read a newspaper, and 'surviving'. And it's so much easier to learn Japanese when you're surrounded by it anyways.

/>

Hey, that's cool to hear./>/>
  15. Lord_Anunnaki Jedi Youngling

Well if you want to know a foreign lanuage your best bet and what i've been through is to live there and learn the lanuage. Like when i used to live in Korea and the Marshall islands it was tough because i didnt know what the heck peole were talking about. But it comes to you. Oh i never been to Japan so i can't help you on that one. :(
  16. motisfortiva Jedi Youngling

star 2
    its pretty easy to get confused when you first get there. like the first time i got there, it was overwhelming. everything is so small! that is the first thing i noticed. being that, theres so much more. i got lost in the airport. :p good thing the japanese are kind and considerate. haha! i almost missed my flight. but they helped me alot. they went out of their way to help me.

i noticed that they are also merging alot of their native language with alot of english, french, and german. many of the signs i saw throughout the cities were in english. they also use many symbols to let you know what they serve or whatnot. all in all they are a beautiful people, and it is a beautiful country. probably one of the coolest ive ever been to yet. :D the cars, and the girls to me, were the best part. [face_laugh]
  17. Damacles_Photon Jedi Youngling

You don't need to be fluent in japanese to "survive" but it if you do make an effort to learn some of the language it shows that you aren't ignorent and actually care. If you go, you should learn some basics like where are the toilets or something.
  18. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
    KONNICHIWA!!![face_dancing]

I DIDN'T KNOW WHERE SALUTE YOU... SO I ELECTED THIS TOPIC :D

I SPEAK VERY LITTLE ENGLISH... JAPANESE,... NOTHING:p BUT, I JUST WANNA SAY HELLO FROM CHILE, A DISTANT LAND, AND TELL YOU I LIKE TOO MUCH YOUR COUNTRY AND I HOPE MAKE A VISIT SOMEDAY.

MAY THE DARK SIDE BE WITH US!!!

SAYOUNARA!!!!!

[face_beatup]
  19. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
    :eek: I'VE TAKEN A LOOK BY THE FORUM, AND I REALIZED THERE ARE NOT JAPANESE PEOPLE, WHAT A PITTY!:(
  20. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
    WHEN I WAS A LITTLE BOY I WATCHED SAN KU KAI ON TV!!!

IT WAS GOOD!!![face_peace]

SAN KU KAI, SAN KU KAI...[face_dancing]

SORRY, BUT I'M BORED:D
  21. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
    ... AND THE DAY AFTER...

[face_thinking]
  22. KILIK Jedi Master

star 4
    I always wanted to know how Japanese I needed to know if I went there thanks.:)
  23. NeecH Jedi Master

star 4
    I came to Japan 4 months ago and couldn't speak any Japanese but just by being surrounded by it I can actually understand alot now and can even have short conversations if needed.
  24. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
    MIRA TU... QUE BONITO!!!!

(look... What a beautiful thing!!!)
  25. DARTH_SHADOW_ Jedi Youngling

star 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.