main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Much Jedi Training Do You Really Need?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by milkmoney11, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milkmoney11

milkmoney11 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    On a scale from 1 to 4 (4 being most informed) on Star Wars Fandom, I consider myself a 3. Not a die hard, but a pretty serious fan. I enjoyed TFA but there were a few parts that left my raising an eyebrow.

Could a level 4 fan explain this to me. Kylo Ren fights Finn in a Saber battle. This is basically the first time Finn has ever turned on a lightsaber and he's not a Jedi (that we know of). On the other hand you have Kylo Ren who has been seemingly training for awhile and has the power of the dark side behind him. Finn proceeds to pretty much hand him his lunch in that battle...at least for awhile. I would like to think a trained Jedi would dispose of an amateur like that in 3 seconds.

All the movies have placed tremendous emphasis on training in the ways of a Jedi. Could they perhaps be overrating this whole process? I mean, if any bum off the street can pick up a lightsaber and whip one of the best trained, there may not be as much to it is they claim.

2. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Are people somehow missing the fact the Ren had just been shot with a massive blaster and was bleeding profusely, and had just had a massive test of the force before killing his own father?

Tython Dawn and Colm like this.
  3. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Also he doesn't seem to be trying to kill her. He keeps backing her up until she has no where to run, then he makes her the proposition of being her teacher, that is when she taps into the darkside and bests him.

4. WrathofRunia

WrathofRunia Jedi Padawan

Oct 19, 2014
    Did Luke really have any substantial training? He blocked some lasers on the falcon with Kenobi in IV. He did some flips and levitating magic with Yoda in V. Then in VI Yoda says "no more training do you require, already know you that which you need." His last big test was confronting Vader and not giving into the dark side.

I always felt the emphasis wasn't placed so heavily on sword training and learning magic tricks as it was on training your ability to keep yourself from falling to the dark side.

Sure, Rey doesn't have any training depicted in VII, but I'll wait until the end of the trilogy to finalize any thoughts on her seemingly natural abilities.

5. Tython Dawn

Tython Dawn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I'm in the camp that thinks Ren would have demolished Finn if he hadn't just taken a shot from a bowcaster. As it is, it doesn't take him a super long time to break Finn down, considering.

As far as Rey goes, based on what we see in the films I think it is not outside the realm of possibility that she is not as much of a novice as we, or she, might believe.

6. avasatu

avasatu Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    I'm in the camp that says Ren displayed power substantial enough that he could have killed Finn in 2 seconds (Finn had trouble with a storm trooper...he almost died), then easily overpowered Rey in about 15 seconds. They should have wounded him much more, made him seem more grief stricken, and then used the chasm to help Rey "win".

7. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    Apologies I was sure this thread was about Rey/Ren battle.

I agree with the others about Ren being severely hampered by his injury and someone here mentioned before that he was like a cat toying with a mouse, it was that underestimation that lead to Ren getting a lightsabre wound from Finn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.