main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How much longer does the Falcon have?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ive_Got_Two_Legs, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I've been thinking about this ever since I saw everyone's favorite hunk of junk in ROTS. Assuming it was a year or two old at that time, the Falcon'll be pushing 60 at the start of LOTF. I mean, there's only so many times you can repair and refit a decades-old-ship before you finally decide to get with the times. And it's a matter of convenience and safety, too; I can't iamgine that the Falcon is as protective as "modern" ships are.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

And yet 1000yo Invincible Dreadnoughts patrol the Corpsec. Tell me again about credibility. Meh, as Litty forumers seem to say.

Corellian products are also endlessly modifiable, or at least have a long life span under a good mech.

3. Pershing

Pershing Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2005
    I always just thought the Falcon being in RotS was just an easter egg that Lucas and the effects guys decided to throw in. If it actually was the Falcon, that does raise a good deal of questions as to how long a ship can last in the SW universe.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the ROTS presence of the falcon makes sense- I think we can say the falcon probably wasn't new when Han first saw her on Lando's lot, so it had to have been around for a least a few years before that.

i think Han's maintenance of it contributes alot, as well as the fact that the Falcon's been basicly rebuilt a few times (that crash in Jedi Search seemed pretty bad- especially if the cover art is any indication), like I believe it was either in TCT or BFC that basicly everything on the Falcon had been replaced and rewired (much to Han's dismay) so it was almost new again.

5. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Let's just hope it never gets anywhere near Charros IV...:p

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Something like the Falcon could last virtually forever if given proper care. There are real-world precedents: though obviously not as heavily modified, the U.S. B-52 fleet will be 80-90 years old by the time every one of the bombers is phased out.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The YT1300 series was supposed to be old around the time of ANH. Seeing them in AOTC and ROTS it about right - they'd be in use around then. In the old, blessed WEG RPG [face_love], a YT1300 was an older, harder to find startship players could buy and mod up.

E_S

8. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    We know that Lando got the Millenium Falcon used a couple years before Han got it. But couldn't the ship in Episode 3 just be the same model as the Falcon? After all, in Heir to the Empire, Han almost thinks another YT-1300 is his.

9. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    I don't think so, seeing as how the one in ROTS was specifically designed to be the Falcon, and given the OK by GL.

10. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It's the same one - pre Lando ownership.

11. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Grand_Admiral_Gotti Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2005

UMM..and how do you know this?? I believ the standing rule fo thumb in here is, if your going to make a statement like yours then please provide some shred of proof besides, gut feelings, tingly hairs on the back of your neck or a dream of which u awoke at 3 am where the ghost of qui-gonn came forth to you wearing K'Krukh's HAT announcing that the YT-1300 seen in ROTS is indeed the Falcon just pre-lando onwership.

Proof, documents, etc etc

I will not accept GL's word for it either...

The man no longer cares and has passion for star wars as he once did, he'd much rather sit around contiplating ideas on things such as "american Graffitti " which he sees as his "true " art and some sort of Shakespearian masterpiece. So when something of an answer, based upon a truly good and well thought out question asked of him by a FANboy, comes out the onyl thing that does indeed leave GL's mouth is his "I just pulled this right out my ass" type of answer and then every clams and hollars about GL being the mighty GOD of GFFA material and his word is infallible to only later take notice that " his word" has completley screwed the pooch on continuity of the EU all because he did not want to take the time to research and is now a little peev'd that guys that have been a member of these such forums and moderators, creators of the WIki and such are much much more versed in SW lore than he ever will be. I will take the word of ppl like Kudzu, Thrawn Mcewok, Excellence, And and many many more of you who are skilled in many different ways of researching and coming to conclusion based upon factual evidence and idea of your own that have been uncontested etc etc before GL any day of the week and twice on sunday.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Either that or they were 1000 year old designs, my merry mucker. Or mothballed and then resurrected.

13. JediBrain

JediBrain Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2004
    The B-52 is the perfect real world example of how that ship is surviving so long. Nothing is new inside it. The air/space frame is all that would be original equipment. Think of how many times hull plating has been replaced, internal gear and wiring worked on.

It isn't the same falcon it was when it came off the assembly line.

Its hard to grasp because most of us only have a car as a reference. Cars are inexpensive enough (though not inexpensive) that after a while it's more economical to get a new one than keep repairing it. FOr aircraft, or space craft in Star Wars, that isn't the case. You keep upgrading, repairing, replacing, until it is no longer upgradable and becomes obsolete, or until it gets destroyed.

Its the same way the F-14s and 15s stay in service for 20 years. They upgrad them with better avionics and weapons systems, etc. Eventually the technology needed for them to be effective just isn't cost efficient enough to warrant a retrofit and a whole new plane will have to be bought.

Brian

14. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    It's got plenty of times. 60 is the new 40, remember?

Along with the Jedi Search crash, let's not forget its DE II modifications. They ripped off a whole chunk of the Falcon and attached their archaic technology, and then Han magically found a replacement somewhere between DE and JAT

15. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I will not accept GL's word for it either...
    If George Lucas said that Tarkin is Luke's father, then it would be official.
    Same with the Falcon.

16. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Aug 11, 2005

Thank you Captain Obvious! At least add some insight to that of your own, as for the rest of we are fully aware that if George Lucas states indiana Jones was actually Han Solo travelled to Earth from the GFFA then it would be written into the damn data banks but personally we all knwo better and know that GL doesnt know **** about star wars anymore. The EU is a Fan based universe now built off his idea and original handed down lore of the GFFA and no longer his and his alone and as I said in my previous post..he doesnt seem to care much about it anymore and will just say anything to one. Cover up his god awful mistakes of not realizing that things are pciked apart to death but every little mundane detail these days, ecspecially in the SW universe and 2. Get away and past the question he was just sked that HE DOES NOT KNWO THE ANSWER TO so there for, knowing that what he says will be sealed undispuatble in some sense of the word regardless of how stupid, not continuity it is, spit out any stupid thing is head not caring wetehr it goes along with the eu first and foremost and not even with his movies most the time. So what would be your take on Captain or would you like to inform that it is AIR I am breathing right now or perhpas something more obvious than that or maybe you would just like to post agin by saying "what george says goes" ?? I await your a intelligent resposne of either agreeing or disagreeing not a simple KNOWN statement

17. R4P17DC

R4P17DC Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
    I would agree that with the birth of the EU, that the Authors ruined the ideas of his movies. But this time, it isn't an EU source he's putting in the movie-it's his ship basicly-The Falcon. He could've said the YT-1300s in AOTC could've been one of the Falcons, but he didn't. So I would accept that, it's George's creation, so he can do whatever he wants with it. Even if it means the ruin (which one ship possibly cant do) of Star Wars.

18. Grand_Admiral_Gotti

Aug 11, 2005
    I am not commenting on how Lucas putting the falcon in there and anything he would or would not say about it at this point would ruin the realm of SW. My opions on that matter were meant for a much larger scale of thinking, not so one dimensional and Yes it is "his" ship and YEs he can do whatever he wants the simple fact is the discussion tears way for another realization of how poorly h thinks things through and then covers it up with a lame half assed aatempt of an answer later on..thats all plain-simple

19. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I don't see how it's that hard to accept that that was the Falcon on Coruscant. GL said it was. There's nothing I know of that's contridictory, so there you go. That was the Falcon.

20. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    A thousand years! :eek:

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it is a fact that, while Lucas's word is a strong indicative of how things are, it can be contradicted if those statements are not "down on paper" so to speak in an in-universe manner. Nothing in-universe says this can't be the case so it likely is the case.

In this case, I agree that the fact that the ROTS YT-1300 has been ID'd as the Falcon while the AOTC Naboo YT-1300's were not is a good indication it is the real Falcon- I believe the Art of or Making of ROTS also identifies the "blue paint" YT-1300 as the real deal.

22. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Where in AOTC were the YT-1300s?

23. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    The easy b.s. dump answer, both practically and in-universe, is "however long the saga runs." Han Solo wouldn't fly anything else, and not retiring the thing upon his death (or even burying him in it and letting it drift in space) would be like spitting on the guy's grave. The Falcon dies the moment Han dies. If Han never dies before the saga ends, then the Falcon lives.

24. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    The Theed landing platform.

I would agree that George Lucas no longer cares about Star Wars as an evolving universe and is now just trying to get the most money possible out of it - which is why I wouldn't be too surprised if his pet TV show project and the new Clone Wars TV thing (as with Series 2 of the cartoons) just run the established EU right over. In the event of that happening, which timeline am I going to follow? The pre-TV one. George was the architect of the house, and now the EU wants to add on a few more stories (what a convenient pun). It's not just Lucas's house any more, and he's not the only person with investments in it. Which is why I will be quite unamused if he just flips the bird to the authors, the game designers, the RPG creators, the editorialists, and the community as his final hurrah just to prove that he can. Unfortunately, it seems like he might do just that, considering the direction he's heading.

And I'm with EwokStromboli on this, though I hope that the deaths of the Big Three are never depicted. Mara's death I could accept - it would be sad to lose such a great character, but the "Beyond the Saga" EU is trickling away now, and the "Before the Saga" EU seems to be ready for some serious expansion and possibly even redesign to put KOTOR and the comics in novel or short story form. But I don't want Luke, Han, or Leia to die, or even Wedge, Lando, or the droids. They're really the reason why I keep reading post-RotJ literature.

It'd also be preferable if no one killed Karrde. [face_peace]

25. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.