main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How much of a rival was Xixor?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by FTeik, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Oh, I'm sure Jerec reassured Vader that he wasn't after his job and would happily serve Emperor Skywalker.

Mostly because I think Jerec knew his chances of killing Vader were equal to killing Palpatine.

0%

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. BedlamSpirit

BedlamSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 14, 2011
    According to the Wookieepedia Jerec in fact attempted to have Palpatine throw out Vader and take him. Not to mention that Jerec in fact ATTEMPTED and ALMOST SUCCEEDED IN TAKING OVER THE GALACTIC EMPIRE:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jerec#Search_for_power

Apparently Palpatine was aware of the failed plot or something along the lines because of the massive costs, however Palpatine still decided to not pursue him. How strange that Palpatine could not parole a lousy Senator allied with the Alliance, but turned a blind eye on a dangerously powerful man who almost took over the Galaxy and certaintly had more plans in reserve.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There is a big difference between company owned assets and personal wealth. Baron Tagge did not personally spend credits to buy a CoprSec seat, Tagge Co did and Tagge Co will still have that seat once Orman is long gone and forgotten, unless they sold it, which seems likely seeing how Tagge Co goes down the drain hard after Endor and all.

He is not even taken serious by his own staff and the Empire had de facto already confiscated his company, just pretended he was still in charge.

4. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Regarding Xizor's power, it is worthwhile to note that the economy of the GFFA is not, by any stretch, a modern, western market economy. Yes there are corporations, including some freaky powerful ones, but this is any incredibly corrupt universe with a functional aristocracy that has controlled most of galactic wealth for centuries if not millennia. Corruption enters a whole different stratum in this scenario. Xizor is a not just a crime boss, he's an oligarch. Through Black Sun he also has control of a massive, semi-legitimate corporate Empire, similar to the way a tiny group of Russian businessmen semi-legitimately control a huge chunk of that nation's wealth. So Black Sun's holdings, legitimate and illegitimate, may very well be larger than that of any straightforward galactic corporation. They are also almost certainly more independent - Kuat of Kuat has a lot of power, but his business is almost entirely dependent upon military contracts, making him essentially Palpatine's pawn.

Was Xizor #3 on a list of the galaxies most powerful? Probably not. But that's not really the key question - the question is more whether he was #1 on the list of non-Imperial most powerful persons. If that's true, then Xizor's supposition has a point, because aside from Vader everyone else in the Empire is effectively Palpatine's minion.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Black Sun's influence is also somewhat crazy. Fliry Vorru is a Moff, for example of CORELLIA, and a member of Black Sun.

6. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    But that's really not that crazy in known experience. Pablo Escobar, at the time the world's biggest cocaine kingpin, got himself elected to congress in Columbia and had a presidential candidate assassinated. The political/economic landscape of Star Wars is much closer to that situation than the modern US or Europe.

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah... not these days [face_whistling]

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Remember that an Imperial-class Star Destroyer costs only 145,670,000 credits. And if "billionaire can mean "several hundred billion" rather than 1 billion (as per the trillionaire Bohhuah Mutdah whose fortune is several hundred trillion) - then he could afford the military arsenal of several Sector Groups.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah except for the part were you still to staff and run the thing. ;)

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Xizor was useful only as a means for Sidious to troll Lord Vader.

Barriss_Coffee and BedlamSpirit like this.
  11. BedlamSpirit

Oct 14, 2011
    I agree, some tasks and to motivate Vader. I remember a scene from a book in which it was stated something along the lines that Xizor humilliated Vader to such a degree in front of the Emperor that Vader was considering biting his tounge to commit suicide.

I wonder what the Emperor's reaction would be if Vader couldn't withstand one of his trollings and Vader killed himself.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "Pfffft! What a (feline)!"

13. BedlamSpirit

Oct 14, 2011
    Don't you think he would be devastated? If anything because he now has no apprentice left, though he may had taken Jerec in that situation (he was the closest option after Vader) but he would not be happy at all, until Luke appears.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Tremayne would also make a decent short term solution.

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    1) An apprentice so weak that he can be talked into suicide is worse than useless.
    2) Sith Lords are NEVER happy. Call it an occupational hazard.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Vader's self-hatred allowed him to kill Maul.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Not just Laurita,in Alliegance he is jealous of an 18yr old girl, even more so when she catches him on google

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Palpatine, devastated? I just can't see it. Do you think he really cares about Vader once he has his Empire? Despite his musings, I don't think an apprentice means much to him other than as a source of amusement.

The only example of Palpatine being close to devastated that I can think of off the top of my head would be his reaction to Maul's "death" in TPM, which seems more like pissed off than devastated, and that's before he got his precious Empire. Even then, IIRC we don't see any devastation in TPM, he's already moved on to his next "great interest". I think the only thing that could have devastated Palpatine would have been losing the contest for the galaxy back when it was still a Republic.

He seemed pretty damn happy in ROTS, that laugh was one of pure joy.

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    On the contrary, it is questionable how Tagge Co could "go down the drain" after Endor considering it was the main sponsor of the CSA and many of its subsidies weren't known as such.

And yet unlike Xizor, when Kuat of Kuat wanted someone killed he could send a fleet of cruisers and destroyers without asking the Emperor.

And to come back to the Blofeld and SPECTRE comparison, that would be more fitting for Tyber Zann and his consortium, not Xizor and BlackSun.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Xizor could do that as well, he just happens to be not stupid enough for such pointless overkill that can be traced right back to him.

21. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    No, he has to manipulate the empire to do that for him (against Ororo-shipping). When it comes to capital ships, the best Black Sun has to offer are converted freighters like the Interceptor-class frigate (which is actually gunship/corvette-sized).

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Nep just happens to more convenient, no need to risk his own assets if he can get the Empire to do it.

We have also seen them with Bulk Cruisers, Nebulons etc. and if I am not completely mistaken X-Wing Alliance has them with a Dread. Whilst Kuat of Kuat has that light cruiser (?) he sends to Tatooine and even there it seems wobbly if it is really his, or just something he gets to send around as part of his CEO function, whilst I highly doubt he will just get to send around the actual System Militia without having to consult with the real government.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I am not too fond of Zann. However, I think he's how Black Sun should be.

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Omnipresent and super powerful high tech pirates ( they have working mass produced ship cloaks in a time when the Empire could not get them to run [face_sigh] ) that can keep messing with everyone without getting put in place for it? Yeah I think I will stick with Black Sun as it is ;)

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, that's why I'm not too happy with them. Not too fond of their ability to run rings around the Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.