main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How much of "The Clone Wars" should be in "Rebels"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    This should be a good opportunity to resolve some outstanding elements of TCW that were left unanswered by the cancellation.

Darth Maul & Ahsoka especially, I expect Boba Fett will feature since that is the time he established himself as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy.
    I don't expect specific clone to appear, they were important in the Clone Wars but come the Empire's rise they were just generic soldiers and had to do bad things. Stormtroopers should just be faceless enforcers of the Empire, that makes them more intimidating

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The Rebellion started before the end of ROTS. "...and the Jedi Rebellion has been foiled" as Palpatine stated so succinctly. This series should pick up directly after ROTS or possibly during the film if necessary, to show how the first threads of rebellion against the Empire were started. Just because the show is called "Rebels" doesn't mean it's referring to the fully formed Rebel Alliance at the time of A New Hope. Of course its unconfirmed where the story picks up but I'm putting out my hopes for the series and reminding that "Rebels" is a loose term.

Seerow and Circular_Logic like this.
  3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Everything that was awesome about "The Clone Wars" should return or be referenced in the new show - from clones to Separatists *cough*Tikkes*cough*....

I love your list, Jordan... Gregor and Bo-Katan would be perfect to return.

Trench's appearance on the new show depends on his fate in the Bonus Content.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    They just really need a final, on screen fate for Darth Maul that he's been denied

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    No Gungi!?

6. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Maybe flashbacks of some TCW characters could work.. TCW wasn't really big on doing flashbacks, but they could be pretty suitable for a show like Rebels.

I don't care for the Young Jedi kids though.

7. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Make this a standalone series; no main cast or supporting character additions from TCW, please. One-off episodes are fine, but not the norm. Maybe some refugee Jedi come along or disillusioned CIS/Republic but no major characters.

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    The published statements about the show refer to the time of the Jedi Purge (which wouldn't simply be used to refer to the time period, and inevitably means the purge will be shown), so y'all just gonna have to deal with that. Hardcore fans might be tired of Jedi, but for the general audience, Star Wars = Jedi, and it needs a wide general audience to get more than one friggin' half-season on Disney XD. For the sake of longevity, you might have to deal with some episodes you don't like. Boohoo. I don't like space battles much, but I'm not gonna make absolute statements about how they need to stop, because I live in a world with other people and I get that they do like space battles.

As for TCW characters, same thing; there's a shared demographic here which needs someplace to go, and this is the place. It's the same as the argument about using the Solo/Skywalker kids for the new movies: if they fit the script, why change the names and screw everything up on a whim?

If you're gonna follow some Jedi, why not follow Jedi from TCW? If you're gonna follow some clones, why not follow Rex? If you're gonna follow some rebel sects, why not Onderon? (*Note: "Because I don't like __________" isn't an answer worthy of conversation with your fellow human beings. If people like the character, there's reason. That's called objectivity). It doesn't alienate new viewers. People always say, "Well, new people will be confused about who all these people are!" but it's not like characters are constantly referring back to stuff that happened in other episodes... not even within the same series. They'll get a complete introduction in the new show, as if you were meeting them for the first time. Maybe a little exposition in conversation whenever needed, and that's that. Everything's normal. Remember, some kids saw TCW before they saw the movies. Were they confused about who Obi-Wan and Anakin were? Nope.

(Good, that argument ended before it began.)

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Stronger Arguments there also since I assume they are using the same animation style, rolling over already created characters will save them on time and money.

But yeah lightsaber and force combat is going to need to show up on a regular basis. Also Audience retention needs to be maximized.

Not really a problem for the movie though because they will make money regardless because how many fans of the EU are not going to go see the movies even if the EU gets gutted? Plus all the casuals will more then make up for any loses there. Show does not have the same luxury.

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I'd love to see a really strong dovetail with ROTS as the bridge.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely Bo-Katan.

Gregor...I dunno, his alleged death in the explosion led to the only Gascon scene that I liked.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hondo Ohnaka. No Jedi. More Smugglers, bounty hunters, common people etc. Have the Empire cracking down hard!

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    None, absolutely complete and totally none.

14. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Flashbacks using TCW footage of events from TCW might be plausible at times if a direct reference needed to be made. I don't mind flashback episodes with new content myself.

15. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Speaking of those Young Jedi kids, wouldn't it be a punch in the gut if one (or some) of them, instead of getting killed during Order 66, went dark? I'm looking at you, Petro. I got the feeling that they wanted to run with these younglings in future stories, so those that survive Order 66 may well show up again in Rebels. Imagine the possibilities, however, if they are bold enough to have someone like Petro go dark and train to become a future Emperor's Hand/Dark Side Adept. Then a showdown with one of his surviving friends and colleagues, like Katooni. Could be something worth watching if executed well.

16. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    I was hopping to see Anakin kill them for the most part.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Could be more interesting to see one or two of the young Jedi kids go dark if not among the many survivors scattered into space. Perhaps Katooni could end up a space pirate after all.

18. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Sure your idea could be good. I just assumed they were there to create some faces that you know when Anakin and Friends start mowing down Padawans.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Anakin mowing down the Young Jedi kids was always supposed to be in the back of our minds and is what most fans are going to assume happened to the kids. However its not something we'd be likely to ever see happen on screen. That would actually make it more of a surprise should one or two survive only to turn dark.

I wonder if Rebels would ever allude to something as obscure as to the fate of the Lawquane family.

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want Asoka, Ventress, and Barriss to become a bounty hunter/smuggler team - who meet up with the rebels at different occasions but NEVER join them. ;)

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You want Barriss to be redeemed?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    From the top off my head:

Maul & closure to the TCW storyline involving him
    Talzin & closure to the TCW storyline involving her
    A few of the main clone troopers (Rex, Cody & Fives) as well as Gregor (if possible)
    Boba Fett, Bossk, Dengar & Aurra Sing
    Cad Bane, Embo, Latts Razzi, Highsinger & a few more of the original TCW bounty hunters
    Bo-Katan & her fellow Mandalorian warriors (i'd really like to know how the Mandalore conflict ended)
    Hondo Ohnaka & his pirates

23. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Can REBELS be one hour long and 50 episodes per season? Can we focus on the struggle between Vader & Sidious? Can they battle each other? Can Vader have a secret apprentice? Can we see Maul & other amazing things? Can this show last longer than the Simpsons or the Family Guy?

24. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Now that I think about it, Barriss' ultimate fate is still up in the air. My assumption when TCW was cancelled was that she would be executed by the Republic, or else imprisoned until Order 66 when the clones kill her. But the thing is, we have no clue what happens to her after the Fugitive Arc's retcon of Reversal of Fortune. This makes me wonder if she could end up escaping and on the run, allowing her to survive to the Dark Times for more adventures and a possible redemption, as she could be telling folks, "I told you so" about the corrupt Republic-turned Empire. So maybe Jarren's idea wouldn't be so far-fetched in that case. If she doesn't show up, I hope her fate is at least mentioned in Rebels or a future EU novel/comic.

25. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, maybe, no, maybe, probably, and no.

I'd really just prefer they leave that disaster of an idea be, and let someone like Jason Fry or Dan Wallace arrange for Barriss to get back in character again and on to Reversal of Fortune as intended. Have the Council mindwipe her like Revan or reveal she was under the influence of a Sith holocron she stumbled onto during a mission―I don't care how, let's just be rid of it like the bad joke it was and move onto a clean slate of better storytelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.