main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How much of "The Clone Wars" should be in "Rebels"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    He died in ROTS ;)

Unless you want him resurrected, which is unlikely as Windu getting resurrected

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If they want to inject a bit of Shakespearean tragedy into it, they could pick up the TCW theme of Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka Tano's converging paths, and run with it. Have them not only converge, but cross over, and invert into juxtaposition land.

So that at the end of the first or second season, Ventress is essentially a Jedi, a lightsider, and is a hero of the rebellion, fighting the good fight against the Empire. Meanwhile Tano after ill-advisedly confronting Vader, has fallen fully into darkness, and now stands as an Emperor's Hand or an Imperial Inquisitor.

3. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I understand the sentiment that this retcon should be largely ignored in the new series due to the many contradictions that have been spawned. However, I do think that they at least made Barriss a more interesting character by and large. She went from pious, by-the-book Jedi to disenchanted extremist whose views of the failing Jedi Order have some merit. I initially believed as you and many others did, that they wouldn't dare commit such a major retcon to Barriss' already well-established backstory, but it happened anyway. Had they insisted on picking lower-hanging fruit rather than creating an OC to be Ahsoka's friend who eventually betrays the Order, they could have done a more very minor retcon and have Sora Bulq (as the Weequay Jedi in the Temple) be the perpetrator; he's also a dual-wielder so he could have mimicked Ventress' fighting style more convincingly than Barriss. But alas... Regardless, I don't really mind either way whether she shows up or not as long as her fate is officially determined, whether it be a workaround with a Revan-esque mindwipe (I think this is a bit of a contrivance, and made my opinions known regarding various other possibilities for reconciliation here) to reconcile with continuity, or give her a new fate altogether.

This would be a very neat idea, but I doubt the writers would be bold enough to make the latter happen with Ahsoka, especially with Filoni still co-producing this show. Nevertheless, having Ventress become a hero of the Rebellion or associated insurgent groups would make for a far more interesting story, and assuming she shows up, I look forward to seeing what the crew does with her character.

QuangoFett likes this.
  4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Sort of exactly this!
    Partly because she was always one of my favorite female Jedi, and I don't want her executed. I used to think she was gone in Order 66, but now that she has broken from the Jedi, who knows? Also, she isn't evil, she was just trying (using very bad tactics) to wake up a corrupt and stagnant Jedi order. All three of those characters became disillusioned with their masters, and have a lot in common.

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    For anyone that doesn't know but Barris Offee died in Order 66, she was executed by Lieutenant Galle on Felucia the same time Secura was killed so she will not be in Rebels

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You do remember the recent Ashoka arc don't you?

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Then you'll remember that she was thrown in jail. She's not a Jedi anymore.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, then we got ourselves a unresolved issue in the future i guess[face_laugh]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Thank you Dave Filoni.....

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

That joke or whatever got old the day you wrote it. LOL

Things change. Things get retconned and fixed. This was never broken, just some lazy writer/editor of a stupid encyclopedia was too lazy to check facts.

Like with the Tikkes remark, this means nothing at this point in time. You know it... You are giving yourself an example how what is produced for TV as Star Wars overwrites the comics or the EU in general. Thank you for giving me more ways to show you how wrong you are with these remarks.

RETCON!

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Nah, it got old the second time i wrote it ;)

You want a cookie for that comment? :p

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    No, your silly comments are enough to keep me full for the day... LOL

TIKKES SHALL RISE!!!!

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    He shall Rise then Fall in about 10 seconds after being resurrected :cool:

15. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Doubt it. If Filoni posts a post about Tikkes on his wall then most possible rise and never fall.

Darth Vader and darklordoftech like this.
  16. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I want to see very little of TCW in Rebels. I loved TCW but I don't want characters like Ashoka or certain clones to be heroes of the Rebellion. Saying that I don't mind unfinished storylines appearing in Rebels, but I think it should be done in a side story kind of way and not a part of the Rebellion, maybe a random episode with Ashoka but not overall part of the plot. The Bounty Hunters and Pirates could easily have their stories continue.

17. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree. The Clone Wars is over and the huge majority of Jedi are already dead. I'm hoping for very little Clone Wars carry-overs. It's a different time, and judging by the title 'Rebels' a different focus. I'm hoping to see the growth of the Rebellion and see what happened to the separatist sympathisers as well. Did they join the Rebellion? Vader hunting down Jedi will probably happen sometimes, but it should be pretty rare. At the end of Episode III Yoda and Obi-Wan didn't have any indication that anyone else was even alive, so there can't be too many left. Smugglers, gangsters, rebels and average folks is what I'm hoping to see.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The only time i wanna see Obi-Wan and Yoda in this series is Obi-Wan looking over Luke and Yoda building his hut on Dagobah

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    No Jedi? Does anyone honestly think that's going to happen? Setting your personal opinions and preferences aside, regardless of whether you want to see them or not, is it really that illogical?

You don't need a huge majority of _______ to tell a story about ________. That's why there are so many movies and books with titles like "The Last of the _________", "Last _________ on Earth", "Omega __________", and so on. Some might say you learn more from focusing on the struggling remnants of a group than you do watching them idle in their prime. There are already books and comics which deal with Jedi running from the purge, so the precedent has been established that it's a crucial part of the story. They didn't just evaporate when Order 66 happened; to really feel the impact of it, you have to actually follow them. Even if the entire show were about Jedi fugitives, and they focused on as many as ten Jedi, it would still be perfectly logical (assuming some fall prey to the purge along the way). Yeah, narratively, that would undermine the OT if it happened closer to ANH.. but even that exaggerated idea isn't entirely illogical.

Hell, I mean, if you've read the Dark Times comics, you'd know that being on the run is when Jedi are the most fun to follow. They start questioning their moral obligations, they start thinking for themselves, and they start figuring out which of their principles are actually tied to the light side of the Force (and, subsequently, which rules were simply mandated by the Jedi Order to keep the peace internally). Get 'em out of their boring brown robes, and they finally get interesting.

Sometimes I think my nerd-brain is the nerd-brainiest, but I'm genuinely baffled by the amount of people who take hyperbole and colloquialisms in Star Wars dialogue and literature as absolutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.