main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How much of the EU do you accept into the films and The Clone Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by skywalker_san, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, me too. I have watched some episodes of TCW, but I can't get into it too much, and I agree about it being dumb that Anakin has an apprentice. Other than that, my EU experience is as follows: I've read the Dark Lord Trilogy novels: Labyrinth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. They weren't bad, but I have gotten the impression that most other EU novels would be nowhere near as good as them... which pretty much solidified my films-only position.

2. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Sort of like those edgy, sophisticated comic book writers who have given us such scenarios as Robin the Boy Wonder being beaten to death with a crowbar, or Green Lantern finding his girlfriend's corpse stuffed in his refrigerator.

Juvenile would be the operative word.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wow. Did that really happen? Just wow.

4. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Oh yeah. It was during the 90s, when Marvel and DC first decreed that superhero stories should be geared toward 40 year old men, rather than kids.

Tune in next week, for...The Brutal Rape of Lois Lane! Same Bat-time! Same Bat-channel!

5. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    On the other hand, Batman is set in a crime-ridden city. You should be expecting such horrors in such a setting.

I'm guessing you're a fan of the 1960s TV show, where the Joker's biggest threat is turning a pool of water into jello.

6. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's already been done in the Killing Joke to Barbara Gordon aka Batgirl, then her father was forced to look at the pictures...

Have to admit, that comic freaked me out, was years before I'd touch anything with the 'Suggested For Mature Readers' tag on it again.

7. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    And The Killing Joke is also one of the finest Batman comics ever made, for reasons separate from its raunchiness. If it burns the eyes of some readers, so be it. Good storytelling shouldn't be limited by the moral guardians' requirement of butterflies and dewy meadows. And face it, the world is a miserable, filthy place. Fiction should reflect that, not provide an escape from it.

8. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Dealing in absolutes are we?:p

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm sure Star Wars shows some of that. Anyway, I think fiction should provide an escape, we already have the real world to deal with.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Everything is canon to me.

Makes my life simpler.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Amen. I read and watch fiction to escape reality. If it looks just like reality, what is the point?

It's fine if some people like dark, edgy stories, I'm all about respecting personal preference, but that doesn't mean that those of us who like happy endings are somehow less adult. It means we have different tastes, nothing more. Nobody's tastes have to be "wrong".

I happen to like the "peace, idealism and understanding" of the Clone Wars series. I don't think those concepts make the series childish, in fact, I think those concepts are over kids' heads.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But eventually you end up isolating those followers who change tastes/change/grow/whatever you want to label it. TCW is not for everyone. And so the darker storylines appeal to those of us who are unable to relate to the fluffier works.

Escapist fantasy gets boring if nothing happens to anyone. And in truly escapist SW, we went through a patch where no characters changed, grew, or died. Otherwise known as the gap following Dark Empire all the way to... Vector Prime. 15 years, in-universe, and roughly twenty novels... it gets old.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I never said there should be no darker storylines and I certainly never said that nothing should happen to any of the characters. What happens when a good character overcomes an adverse situation and comes out on top? The story is suspenseful and does not leave the reader or viewer thoroughly depressed at the end (coughROTScough). I could take the opposite POV and say that a universe that is all dark, all the time abandons those of us who don't want to feel crappy when we're done watching.

Again, I'm all about different tastes and a series actually having something for everyone. I'm just not sure why those of you who like darker storylines can't respect those of us who don't and acknowledge that it is simply a difference in taste, rather than insinuating that "all real adults like dark stories" ( which isn't even close to being true) or that your preferences are somehow superior to ours and should supersede ours.

Another example: The Road. The only way I'd watch it is if a gun were pointed at my head, but if other people enjoy it, more power to them, and to Cormac McLaughlin and the filmmakers. Doesn't mean those who enjoy the film or book have bad taste, but I wouldn't call their taste more "mature" than mine either, just different.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It's Cormac McCarthy, and The Road is great. And I'm not just saying that because I think all films could use more cannibalism. It's actually a very sentimental film, almost a tear-jerker.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I stand corrected on the writer. I still don't want to see it though. Any film that has a parent putting a gun to his or her child's head is a no-go for me from the outset. And I understand that it does not have a happy ending--again, not something I want to spend my money on.

To give another example of what I was talking about above: Return of the Jedi. Easily my favorite Star Wars movie. It has a happy ending, the good guys win, and a former bad guy is redeemed by the unconditional love of his son. I finish watching that movie and I have hope for humanity. But I don't think anyone could seriously say that there are no dark parts and no suspense. I must have watched it 30 times before my heart didn't race when the Emperor orders Jerjerrod to start firing from the Death Star into the Rebel Fleet. And the first several viewings have heavy suspense in wondering if Luke is going to turn to the Dark Side. But he doesn't, which makes the film much better than ROTS, at least for me.

A film/TV series/etc. does not have to be all dark, all the time, main characters stepping over friends' corpses, eating each other, and ending with the bad guys winning and running the galaxy in order to be a good film or TV series.

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Since I don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it:
    it does have a happy ending IMO. Sad in a way, but ultimately very hopeful and positive for one character in particular. It's a very powerful ending in that it finally breaks/resolves the emotional tension built up throughout the entire film.

17. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Bottom line: These "mature" storylines should be relegated to graphic novels, not to the monthlies.

It's pretty sad that a responsible parent would feel inclined to read each and every superhero issue before handing it off to their child, as if Action Comics were a bloody Vertigo title.

It's also pretty sad that Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and Co. did a far better job of balancing the innocence and dark undertones to these narratives than the comics bozos who've read Watchmen one too many times and decided to turn the funnybook heroes into neurotics and psychopaths.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Watchmen has nothing to do with the other comics. Watchmen is above the rest.

19. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Watchmen wasn't intended as a mainstream superhero story, but rather a deconstruction of such. Yet now we're left with two generations of writers who've demonstrated a hankering to ply Moore's approach on these child-friendly heroes. Even Alan Moore himself has lamented the pall his series cast on the medium.

20. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    So is there a place for a "Star Wars Vertigo" type line of novels & comics, in or outside of continuity?

Personally, I don't think so. What's there in the EU pushes things a bit further now & then, but doesn't tarnish the franchise. Star Wars was never about gritty, dark realism, it was about adventure & excitement. Even ROTS went a fair bit further than I thought it would, IMHO.

Batman, however, was founded on a character who witnessed his parents gunned down in cold blood & vowed to take revenge on all criminals for the rest of his life. Read the earliest Batman comics & they're pretty nasty for their time, it's one of the reasons the Comics Code was brought in to begin with. It's perfectly appropriate for the storyline to eventually give birth to the likes of such classics as 'The Dark Knight Returns', 'The Killing Joke' & 'Arkham Asylum'.

Would I want to see Jedi hunting gang rapists, child molesters & transvestite serial killers, interrogating black-eyed prostitutes & diseased drug dealers along the way? Nope. Nothing to do with being squeamish or prudish, it just doesn't fit. Going too 'gritty' or 'hardcore' with SW would come across as very try-hard and pretentious, & the vast majority of fans would respond very negatively.

Take a look at the response to Frank Miller's 'All-Star Batman & Robin' and its notorious "I'm the goddamn Batman" line. I liked it, but overall it wasn't exactly a success with the fanbase.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, that is indeed sad.

22. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    The DC mini-series 'Kingdom Come' was a reaction to exactly that.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    I still think "The Goddamn Batman" should be the title of the next film. It's not too late! [face_praying]

24. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I accept roughly 50% of the EU - most of which takes place outside of the PT timeframe - though I don't accept every little detail within that 50%.

25. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    *seethes with uncontrollable rage*

NO! Absolutely not. Not under any circumstances. That is the exact opposite of how things should be. Fiction is not real, so it shouldn't spend its existence aspiring to be real. That's non-fiction's job. Fiction should be something all to its own, separate from reality. It's primary function should be as an escape so that we don't have to constantly deal with the ugliness of the world. Why you would ever think to suggest that we take away our only method of turning away from that ugliness is beyond my comprehension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.