main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how much of vader was robot?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by mrfootball, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfootball

mrfootball Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    i mean, did the cybernetics function in any other way than breathing for him? they might have influenced him in making key descisions. i dunno. what do you think. if they controlled him, this could change the way we see Vader forever...

2. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    Vader is a head and a torso and some stumps. That's about it. The rest is robotic. You build...!!! Construx!!!

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The cybernetics are there so that Vader can fucntion. They don't affect his higher brain functions in any way.

4. Darthmalius

Darthmalius Jedi Master star 2

Jan 29, 2005
    Vader had no legs below the knees and no arms below the elbows.

He also had almost no face and his chest cavity was badly damaged.

5. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Isn't this entire discussion a ROTS spoiler?

Not to be picky :p

6. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
  7. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    *wanders in-gets spoiled-leaves*

8. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    This is def more Revenge talk the anything.

9. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    This is not a spoiler. i and i can only guess that most serious fans, have know about him falling in a lava pit and loosing most of his body after a duel with Obi-Wan, since the eighties.

10. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Hmm, Lucas alluded in an interview some years back that Anakin's legs were robotic, and we know his one arm is. The other arm may or may not be in intact, though I think it likely is. And we know, of course, that at some serious damage had to be done to the torso and abdominal area because of Vader's inability to breathe on his own (in the EU, SOTE mentions that alot of his alveoli are completely destroyed or burned). If you freeze the DVD and take a good look, you'll see a metal brace against his upper vertebrae, so without it he's likely be paralyzed throughout most of his body from severe spinal injuries. And don't forget those wicked scars on his head.

These two pics actually show along the lines of what I think he looks like underneath:

Image One

Image Two

And, no, this isn't spoiler information. I haven't let myself learn that much about the film. :p This is acutally stuff I've extrapolated over the years from different OT sources.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There some GG artist impressions posted in the Ep.III forum that looked quite similar to that. Anakin really is just a head and torso and four stumps. Good find.

12. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Darthnidan,

You are wrong. I have avoided spoiler threads purposely, and had not heard what happens until you just wrote it in what is suppose to be a Non Spoiler thread. Thanks.

13. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Arms, legs and pelvis are all robotic. Also, some innards are circuitry too.

14. Exxaciel

Exxaciel Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2005
    Okay, so he's 3/4 machinary. To me, that says right arm and lower body roughly from the hips down. On top of that, you've got the respirator, possibly a heart pump, and something to brace the ribs and spine. There's probably also some cerebral/spinal interface that allows nerve messages to get to the prosthetics/ implants. Quick question that I haven't been able to figure out: how does he eat?

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    yes, all lava-related info in this thread was written in the eighties.

that does not mean that everybody shouldn't be very careful what info they post

16. Darth_Devilkin

Darth_Devilkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2003
    "He's more machine now than man."

17. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Quick question that I haven't been able to figure out: how does he eat?

Better question: Does he have to? With so much organ and tissue loss, it's possible he only needs the force to sustain himself.

18. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    11.38% machine.

19. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    "How does he eat?"

Has anyone heard the Eddie Izzard bit about the Death Star cafeteria?

20. Truxor

Truxor Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    Dude Sidious ****ed him up badly.... i didnt know he didnt have any legs i thoght he just had the 3/4 arm from geno....

21. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Ok, I know that i'm gonna get some flak over this, but there is no spoiler material here.

If Vader is more machine now than man, how much of a Jedi's body can be destroyed without affecting how powerful he/she is in the Force? If you buy into the Midichlorian crap, then Vader's abilities would have been greatly diminished when he became a cyborg. He lost most of his body, so he lost most of his blood vessel area, which means fewer midichlorians.

If you still believe that the Force is generated from brainwaves, heart, or whatever inside a Jedi's body, then Vader would still have been severely handicapped in the Force when he became a cyborg.

...unless

...the Force is generated within the soul, which would not be affected by the loss of physical body parts.

"Now, let the hatred flow through you! I am unarmed. Go ahead, strike me down and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!"

22. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    This could be helpful.
    http://www.theforce.net/swtc/injuries.html

23. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    He lost most of his body, so he lost most of his blood vessel area, which means fewer midichlorians.

Actually, I think the number of midichlorians is the concentration, not the total number. :)

24. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Darthnidan,

You are wrong. I have avoided spoiler threads purposely, and had not heard what happens until you just wrote it in what is suppose to be a Non Spoiler thread. Thanks.

Although it did have to do with Revenge of the Sith, it was stated by Lucas after A New Hope came out and was mentioned in the Return of the Jedi novelization.

It should not be considered a spoiler.

25. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Sorry, it was the first I had heard of it. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.