main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how much pain does a light saber cause?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by doublejointed, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublejointed

doublejointed Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2002
    I have not been on the boards in a while,
    so I am sorry if this question has been discussed
    I never saw it discussed here even after the release

Why does Obiwan not have the strength to stand up or fight at all, after Dooku gives him a few zaps with his saber

The wounds didn't look that severe, yet he stayed on the ground while Anakin fought Dooku, and during the whole fight with Yoda, and then showed an aparent inability to even roll out of the way of the falling tower that Dooku finally throws at him

I understand the initial shock, pain, and paralization, but how long is that implied to last

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I wouldn't imply that the wounds were unsevere myself. Perhaps Dooku did not jab his saber through Obi-Wan's body, but he did leave a deep gap in his leg and arm. Not only that, but after he's finished, there's smoke coming from the wounds, indicating Obi-Wan's flesh was melting from the heat. When you take into consideration that a Lightsaber can cut through anything except another lightsaber, you'd realize it would hurt.

You're basically saying in real life if somebody jammed a red-hot rod into your flesh, making a deep wound, you'd be fine after a few minutes and could walk around and fight. I don't thinks so ;)

As for Obi-Wan not moving when the tower started to fall, his apprentice was unconcious at the time. He couldn't just leave him there. And when he saw Yoda was handling it, he must have assumed everything would be alright.

3. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    People scream when every thier limbs get cut off in the movies...i'm sure its a searing and intense pain.

Your right it only looked like Dooku tapped his leg and arm slighty.

4. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    Actually, through martial arts training, I have learned to endure all sorts of pain and I presume that having those same types of burns placed on me, that I would still have the sense, desire, and ability to be some force in a battle outside of paralization

I just presumed that Obiwan could have the mental strength to divert the pain into the ground, or into the universe and muster a few more movements of action or possibly use the force, it just seemed liked a fabricated weak point for him

Just wonderred if anybody had a real answer

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    How much does one cause?

How about I hit you with one of those plastic sabers, and you tell me then, huh? :p

6. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    I'd imagine that a light saber wound would be incredably painful. You talk about enduring burns during martial arts training but I'd imagine that they would have been ob the surface of you skin. How about placing burning objects on deep wounds and trying that.

7. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    two other points

it could have been his clothes burning, causing smoke

and does anybody really think that it is wise to die with your padawan, or escape yourself and continue to serve as a teacher and a master jedi

I understand loyalty, but dieing with your padawan instead of attempting to save neither of you, that is dumb

if he is paralised, then that is the answer, their doesn't need to be your moral decision at this point

If he has the strength to make moral decisions he should have the mind power to do other things physically or with the force

8. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    a punch in the face
    having a limb sliced off with a sword
    or having your internal organs seared with a saber

diverting pain is diverting pain

maybe I expect to much of humanity or jedis
    it just seemed liked a falsified drama that fit in script wise but was slightly unrealistic, that's all

9. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    So is this whole thread to show us how tough you are?

Just wonderred if anybody had a real answer

Uh, no. Since this is MAKEBELIEVE, no one here can possibly know how much pain a lightsaber causes. But we are all very disapointed that you weren't there to save the day.

10. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    The "pain" factor would probably be quite high if I had to guess. The saber blade is pure energy and it's hot enough to cut through the flesh, fatty, and muscle tissue quite easily. The wounds caused by a lightsaber are very clean because they are laser precise, but they also burn afterwards for quite a while because the damage is being caused by pure heat.

As far as ObiWan is concerned, I loved the way Dooku hurt him, and I thought it showed a great deal of precision on his part. Dooku was supposed to be master swordsman, so the the wounds he inflicted were only to the vital points. He injured his primary arm so he couldn't continue fighting and paralyzed a leg so that he would fall down under his own weight. That the wounds were so light and precise showed that Dooku has amazing control of his weapon. Likely these types of wounds were something he had practiced so that he could fight multiple opponents and paralyze them with a minimum of effort so he could move on to the next one.

Like I said, I liked it. ;)

11. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    this thread is to discuss an idea openly,
    I believe that the scene is just slightly unrealistic
    Sadly, most of the responses have been different then what I feel.
    most of the responses reject it, and do not even offer the notion for communication on the topic
    typical for me, since I am a radical thinker

I use references to martial arts to show that I have seen things in my life that would make this scene seem less believable
    people going through merciless pain
    but alas, it's challenging to speak logic in a discussion based on a science fiction film

attempting to show how tough I am?
    that is beneath my capabilities
    I just believe all things can be attained mentally, and I had hoped that me and Obiwan were on the same page, maybe I have been at a higher level spiritually then obiwan in past lives

it just doesn't fit
    he's too tough to lay there

Jar Jar, thank you for your ideas, they are fresh and well received, and will now make me watch the scene again
    thanks again

I understand him falling down, but if he could get the saber to Anakin, I wanted him to do one or two more force related things as well maybe

12. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Hahaha.

My only point is that since you reject those opinions that don't conform to your view on the subject, why post this thread as a question? Why not just post the statment that you feel there is an error in the scene? You make good arguments to support this idea, and I agree to an extent, but that is not what your original question was.

Clearly such a radical thinker can see the folly of asking people's opinions on something and then rejecting them out of hand.

13. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    doublejointed:

I agree with you.

I wondered why Obi couldn't do more than just lay there. I know a lightsaber would have to hurt like heck. That's obvious. But, Luke had his hand chopped off by one and had enough pep to crawl along the platform-thing in Empire. He only jumped when Vader psyched him out with the revelation.

Seems like Obi could have used the Force at least to help Ani or help Yoda divert that pillar.

14. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    how much pain does a light saber cause?
    Enough pain that obi-wan couldn't continue fighting.

Obi-Wan got stabbed through the leg. He obviously couldn't stand up anymore. The lightsaber probably tore up his muscles. At least Luke still had both of his legs in tact.

15. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    upon further inpection it appears that Dooku taps Obiwan's left arm
    I presume this isn't his strong arm for saber fighting
    also it appears that he only taps Obiwan's leg, I don't see it as being a slice through
    his leg

after all I have seen Obiwan go through, it seemed like he might have just decided to sit this one out wisely
    let cocky Anakin get banged up a little as well to lower his arrogance

16. Darth_Arth

Darth_Arth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2002
    Lets take a rod iron pole and stab it all the way through your thigh. Then take a dagger and cut a deep gash in your shoulder. Now imagine this except with a lightsaber!

17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think in the case of Obi-Wan at the end of AOTC, we also have to consider what he's been through... I mean, we was held by the Geonosians for I don't know how long, possibly without getting any food.
    Then he has to fight the Acklay, and then the battle droids and droidekas, so he's been through some pretty heavy action -- and *then* he gets to fight a Sith lord...

Remember, when he took on Maul in TPM he hadn't exhausted himself prior to the duel, so he was in better overall condition.

18. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    ^ He was also really pissed off when he fought Maul.

19. doublejointed

Feb 20, 2002
    all these violent responses are hilariously not without their charm

take a bow

after watching the scene more scrutinizingly

there is no real fierceness to the strikes

they are just little taps, there is no gouging, stabbing, or spearing

just little taps

thank you Princess Tina for a brilliant and elegant answer
    that caters to the physical and the mental breakdown of his character
    this makes infinite more sense than to fabricate ideas of life damaging taps

20. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    The question is how much force does one need to apply in order to cut through a lot of tissue with a lightsaber? When I see the wounds on screen they look fairly deep and it appears that the surrounding tissue is glowing hot so I have to:

1.) Assume that not much much pressure is needed.

2.) Also assume the wounds inflicted are extremely painful.

Now the other question is would this be enough to paralyze a well trained warrior like ObiWan Kenobi? Appearntly so, because he couldn't do anything afterwards physically to help and with one leg badly injured, that seems to make sense.

That's all I know.

21. sdp

sdp Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I study martial arts too,
    you can resist pain not be immortal :/

22. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I'd like to think a lightsaber wound would cause an enormous amount of pain because it can cut through living flesh like a hot knife through butter.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Wouldn't a lightsaber cause third-degree burns, effectively killing the nerves around the wound?

I think that humans, at least, shouldn't feel any pain after they recieve a hit from a lightsaber.

24. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    I don't think you have to stab hard to cut human flesh with a lightsaber. I think it is really up to the viewer to decide if Dooku cut to or through the bone or just cut the muscle. I just figure he cut deeply enough to incapacitate Obi-Wan, if only temporarily.

If anyone is able to pause the VD and look into the blackened hole and see just how deep it is do tell. Particularly if you can see where the lightsaber-charred bone begins and the lightsaber-charred muscle ends...

Okay I am just kidding. Seriously, this kind of analysis is appropriate for movies with Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan. Movies with Christopher Lee and Ewan MCGregor are of another sort.

25. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    If I recall correctly, the AOTC novelization implied Dooku had caused some damage to the muscles in Obi-Wan's leg because he attempted to rise and help Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.