main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How much prior knowledge of Star Wars lore wil be required to enjoy TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ZeroFett, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroFett

ZeroFett Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2015
    Do you think brand new fans will still enjoy TFA without ever watching the OTA or prequels?

How much backstory do you think JJ will include, if any at all?

2. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    All 6 movies. :vader:

3. sterling3763

sterling3763 Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    There's a reason they're marketting it as "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and not "Star Wars Episode VII:The Force Awakens". This will be a jumping on point for a new generation.

I doubt you'll need to know anything about the PT or the OT to appreciate the film.

Messi and darthmomm like this.
  4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    TPM and ANH both work as standalone movies. I'd imagine the same will be said of TFA.

5. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it will work on it's own just like Episode I and Episode IV work on their own, everything before will when viewing VII be the history (or backstory) of the GFFA. But Viewing Episode I-VI will just enhance the experience.

6. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I'd say the 6 movies, at the very least the OT. But it probably could work without having seen any of the previous ones as well.

7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I think you could dive right in, but of course watching the films in order enhances it.

Darkslayer and StoneRiver like this.
  8. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I'd echo the above, they wouldn't want to alienate new fans but they want there to be things which will add layers to the experience if you've seen the previous 6 films.

I think you'd have to concede that a vast demographic has seen a few, if not all of the previous films so they won't need to explain what lightsabres are etc.

StoneRiver likes this.
  9. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    The prequels don't add anything to the OT, so I can't see how they'll be relevant to sequels.

10. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Agreed. However, if you do have knowledge of the previous six you may appreciate it more.

Regardless of marketing, before a live action frame has been seen - the crawl will state in big bold letters "STAR WARS - Episode VII - The Force Awakens" and the new generation that have jumped on get to go "oh - there's six other episodes before this one??????? must watch them!!!!" and their subsequent viewings of TFA will have a newer, and dare I say it, better understanding. IMO.

11. KING_KENOBI

KING_KENOBI Jedi Master star 2

Oct 19, 2004
    I would take an educated guess and say you are probably safe watching this totally cold,in fact its probably preferable if you're new to it all..then watch all the classics etc before you watch it again..

StoneRiver likes this.
  12. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It would indeed be quite a twist if it turns out this is actually not Episode 7, but Episode 12 :p

13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush]

^:)^

Darkslayer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.