main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC How much Star Wars is too much Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 25, 2014.

?

How much Star Wars is too much Star Wars?

Poll closed Jun 25, 2014.
  1. There is no such thing as too much Star Wars

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The new trilogy would be enough for me.

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. The new trilogy and the spinoffs would be enough for me.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. I'll watch the movies, the spinoffs and get a couple of toys, but that's it.

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Utinni!

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. Wee now kong bantha poodoo.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I've always thought that too much of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe Disney could actually oversaturate the market with too much Star Wars related stuff, including the movies, the spinoffs, the toys, the books, the clothes, the cereal boxes, the baby bottles, the bed sheets, the condoms, the dog collars, leashes and harnesses, the video games, the animated series, the rides, etc etc?

Don't get me wrong, I am just as excited as you are about the new trilogy. But I do think that sometimes things go crazy and there's only so much Star Wars I can honestly take, before feeling like I need a break from it all.

Any thoughts?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree with you. I'm nearly to that point now.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  3. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I don't know how much is too much, but I'll let you know when I get there.

4. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The core of Star Wars is the movies. And there's only six of those.

I don't think it'll hurt matters to have three more. I have my misgivings about J.J. Abrams, but I'm looking forward to the ST.

5. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I love that there will be a sequel trilogy but I also agree there can be TOO MUCH SW. The spin off movie plans worry me. Too much of a good thing...

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Having a bunch of films is saturating the market, but not having a bunch of books, comics, video games and other merchandise isn't? I don't believe in it. People have been saying that for ten years about comic book films and yet, we've had "The Dark Knight", "The Dark Knight Rises", "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3" levels of box office success. Apathy sets in when the product is progressively worse than it should be.

Sarge likes this.
  7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    While I remain very excited for the Sequel Trilogy (in a cautiously optimistic sort of way) I think I'm actually a bit more intrigued by the spin-off movies than Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, if only because I'm worried that they will try to hard to emulate the 'feel' of the OT that all the fans supposedly want to see repeated again and again until the end of time.

The spin-offs, on the other hand, can be approached in various artistic ways that have never really been part of the Star Wars core before without feeling the need to fall back on or conform to the six films. I'd love to see them go all out with these side projects and, rather than make a sort of live-action expanded universe with them, use them as an artistic playground for talented filmmakers to put their own spin on George's world with new characters and events of their own that exist outside of the main films.

-Jedi Joe-, Bail B. Baobab and Samnz like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    My main concern is that someone is going to want to make a sequel to the Sequel Trilogy.

Darthmaul208 and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Once (or if) a Yoda spinoff hits the shelves, that's too much Star Wars.

theonesith and Ord-Mantell70 like this.
  10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I'm not sure that there can be "too much" Star Wars just by virtue of quantity. If there was, we would have reached that point a long, long time ago. No, the only way we'll reach that point is if the content we are getting begins to dilute the quality of what we once had.

I think that's the reason why so many of those who dislike the prequels just wish they had never been made altogether. From their perspective, the mere existence of these "lesser" films dilutes the excellence of the franchise, and tarnishes the legacy of the films they know and love. If these spinoffs begin to feel like throwaway experiences, or if the main saga itself gets turned into a neverending, ultimately meaningless pile of concflicts and wars, then the Star Wars brand will absolutely begin to feel a lot less special, and that will, unfortunately, retroactively affect the legacy of the pre-Disney content.

But if the spinoffs are consistently high in quality, if they break new ground and show audiences the true richness and variety of the GFFA, and if Disney allows the episodic saga to come to an official end and allow us to fall in love with the franchise again with a brand new story at some point, then I think the franchise will do just fine. But the quality, and "special"ness, has to be upheld.

11. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I am fine with the availability of merchandise, if it sells and they're well-made - go for it.

However, on the topic of continuation of production- yes PROVIDING there is no loss in quality and projects aren't being made for the sake of $$$ alone. There has to be integrity behind every frame of footage shot. With Kathy Kennedy in charge of LFL, I'm optimistic...but 'always in motion is the future'.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Are you kidding me? If we had the technology to plug in to a virtual reality as convincing as The Matrix I'd never come out.

14. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    The problem is not too much Star Wars. The problem is lousy, uninteresting, cinematically generic, fanboy placating, corporate Star Wars, i.e. Disney/Abrams.

15. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm at the point where Star Wars is meh

I'm not interested in franchises where people are brought back from the dead, get robotic legs, shoot their way out of sarlaac pits etc

I enjoy the movies, but anything else for me is "too much"

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think Disney will be knowing what they're doing. Remember how they used to flood the market with direct-to-video sequels to their classic animated films, and they stopped doing that once they realized it was hurting their bottom line, and making the release of a new Disney animated film not so special? I think they've learned since then.

17. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Personally, I don't have the same level of expectations and excitement about the new third trilogy (VII VIII IX), than I had for the PT. But it is part of the Star Wars legend, as between 1980 and 2004, the saga was indeed made of 3 series of 3 movies. It is regarded by many, and I, as canon. Even if we really don't know how much of the rough treatment is based off of Lucas original thoughts and/or notes from the late 70's-early 80's.

I'm more reserved and dubious about the projected spin-off movies by Disney.

As for other spin-off and merchandising, it can sometimes be regarded as too much for sure, especially commercial tie-ins (TPM). But it's mainly targeted to young people and kids. And it's clearly related to the movie's success and status. If Disney's entry don't meet the expectations or make huge box office results, I don't think a merchandising invasion will occur.

Roughly my position. Except maybe for the movies novelizations and making of books.

18. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Right, so you spend your time talking about it in forums. Not trying to be a smart ass, but I'm not buying it. Anyone can go through times of over exposure as you seem to indicate.

For me, as long as the quality is high I'm good with it. I want the new series, spin off movies, cartoons, live action series, comics, etc. I want it all. I just want it to be good.

19. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    I said "I enjoy the movies"

where do I post?

"the movies section" of the boards, no where else, if you don't buy that then *shrugs*

20. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Relax, I didn't mean anything bad by it. Here @};-

21. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    did I sound angry?

didn't mean it to [face_worried]

22. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Nah, don't worry about it. I am in a weird mood. It's hard to convey everything perfectly in type. At least for me.

23. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I think I'll always be drawn to Star Wars, but after 'Revenge Of The Sith' I accepted that was the end, and then it was down to me to continue to discover, or not to, the greater galaxy out there with any books, games, TV etc I chose.

When 'Episode VII' was announced I really felt they were milking the cash cow even more to give us something we obviously want BUT did we really need? That's when I felt that and the spin-off films could easily start to really turn Star Wars into something "meh", at least for this current generation.

BUT since then I've mellowed, and the excitement of seeing the galaxy far, far away back on the big screen for more adventures does excite me, and I'll easily be there to join in the journey once more.

No point kidding myself - once I've had the drug, I'll always be back for more no matter what I think! :D

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    It all comes down to quality. If the new movies are good no one is going to complain that they represent "too much Star Wars". In that sense no, there's no such thing as too much of a good thing. If they're crap however that will be a chief complaint. Disney will then be "flogging a dead horse", "milking the franchise" etc etc.

I'll never complain about a good SW movie. If it's at least a 7-8 out of 10 then they can release one every year as far as I'm concerned.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No such thing as too much SW

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.