main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How much time passes in each of the six movies?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Drewdude91, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Also it is almost definite the twins were born prematurely. They were delivered as an emergency because Padme was dying not because she went into labour.

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The ROTS novel states that Anakin was away from Coruscant for about 5 months. Given that Luke and Leia are pretty good sized when they're born, I don't think Padme could have been less than 7 months pregnant when she died. Granted, we don't know when their DOC was, but ROTS could realistically take place over as much as a 2-month period. It certainly can't be less than 3-4 weeks.

3. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I am a believer that ROTJ takes place soon after TESB. 2 to 4 weeks. Their plans to rescue Han are already in action at the end of TESB:

LANDO: Luke, we're ready for takeoff.
    LUKE: Good luck, Lando
    LANDO: When we find Jabba the Hut and that bounty hunter, we'll contact you.
    LUKE: I'll meet you at the rendezvous point on Tatooine.
    LANDO: Princess, we'll find Han. I promise.
    LUKE: Chewie, I'll be waiting for your signal.

I really don't care what the EU says. I realize that some fans consider it canon, but I am sure that the movies intended to be a very short period of time apart.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    While it does seem that Lando and Chewie are already planning Han's rescue at the end of Empire, I always got the impression that Luke's attitude and demeanour indicate he has far longer than a few weeks reflecting on what he hs learned. Yes, the extremity of the events would cause a large personality change, but I still feel it was at least a year...

5. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's not that the fans consider it canon, but LFL considers it canon. Whether you like it or not, ROTJ takes place around a year after ESB.

But to address your point, yes, Lando and Chewie were planning Han's rescue at the end of ESB. And their initial idea would have gone as planned if Boba Fett had delivered Han to Jabba right away. But he didn't.

6. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    How long does it take to build a lightsaber? Especially if you're still an apprentice and don't have anyone to guide you? I'd say a few weeks at least.

7. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think SOTE gives an exact timeframe, but Luke does build the saber over the course of several chapters. He was really unsure of what he was doing, so he was double- and triple-checking Obi-Wan's instructions to make sure he was doing everything exactly right.

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Without getting too much into the EU, what does this mean? The movie doesn't tell us when Boba Fett delivered Han to Jabba, and I also don't feel like it's a whole year later. Maybe two or three months, though... nothing as short as two to four weeks.

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Just read Tales of the Bounty Hunters (IG-88's story), Tales From Jabba's Palace (Boba Fett's story) and Shadows of the Empire.

IG-88's story tells how he ambushed Fett as he arrived at Tatooine with Han. The attack severely damaged Slave I.

Fett's story tells that same event from Fett's point of view, showing that his ship was too damaged to land on Tatooine.

And finally, Shadows of the Empire shows Luke, Leia and the others waiting around on Tatooine for news of Fett, because he hadn't arrived yet. Then Lando shows up with news that Slave I has been sighted on the planet Gall undergoing repairs, so they all take off and go there. They arrive at Gall's spaceport just in time to see a repaired Slave I take off. Then the rest of the book deals with their attempts to deal with the Black Sun organization, plus Luke assisting the Bothans in acquiring the plans for the second Death Star.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Ahh... OK, thanks.