main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How much time would you like between VII and VIII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Jun 28, 2015.

?

How much time would you like to see elapse between The Force Awakens and Star Wars: Episode VIII

1. No time at all. Let's Lord of the Rings this puppy.

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Less than a year.

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  3. At least a year.

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. Don't really care.

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    When I become mod.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  2. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    I think whatever's best for the story, although several months to a year would be preferable.

3. Melon Lord

Melon Lord Jedi Padawan

Jun 27, 2015
    If VII ends right when Rey meets Luke then I'd prefer VIII to start at that point or shortly thereafter. I don't think they should just gloss over Rey's training. I want to see it happen.

They can have a timeskip in the actual film if needed, like TESB did while Luke was training with Yoda/Han and the others were stranded with no hyperspace drive.

4. HeadingSouth

HeadingSouth Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2014
    I actually think it would be a refreshing change to be set right after VII, I think Star Wars should try different things rather than repeat itself.

Darth_Bertie and AAA_Tarpals like this.
  5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I like how they did the Clone Wars period real time. So, there's about 1.5 years between Ep VII and VIII, let's have a 1.5 year difference.

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    MOC Yak Face

Sir, you're avatar is a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away.
    :D

The Clone Wars was 3 years.

7. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I know that... The release date gap between Ep II (2002) and III (2005) was three years, also. Real time. I'm saying the time between VII and VIII release dates is slated to be 1.5 years. Let them make it a real time gap: 1.5 years.

8. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

Since the Anthology movies will deal with other characters I don't think they'll need to concern themselves with fitting into a timeline since you can have dozens of other stories happening at the same time.

The in between time will just be whatever it is, and the ST character novels, comics, TV series, games, etc. will be written about that. Most likely there is at least a rough plan already set up for how much time should pass.

I'm going guess that the in univsere years between VII & VIII and VIII and IX will be roughly the amount of time between the movies releases. I don't see them making the characters years older than the actor and actresses.

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    But that's what the anthology films and anything else not part the saga are for. I feel that the saga should be consistent in style.

10. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I'd like 7-8 to be right after one another.. then we get a bit of a break between 8-9 because characters will be established.

11. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    It should be at least a few months or a year.
    Given that JJ shot the final scene on a sunny day and RJ will shoot the Skellig scenes in VIII on bad weather, there must be at least enough time for the weather to turn bad between TFA and VIII. :p

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    what they could do is get rey's training out of the way somewhat instead of having the time table fuzzy like luke's training in esb.

13. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    They won't want to age up Luke and Leia any more than they naturally have so it won't be like a 5-10 year gap unless they want like a 70 year old Luke and Leia in 8.

14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    While I don't want the gap to be too long, I really don't want to see much of Rey's training unless it's significantly different than Luke's training under Yoda. Otherwise the series will just be repeating itself.

15. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    What if they filmed scenes of Rey's training already and will complete the other half later, when they go to shoot VIII. This way, you can see her age a little, you'll know time has passed since the beginning of her training. She'll probably be in really great shape at the beginning of VIII, much different from her look in VII. This way, you'll know she has been training with Luke for a long while now.

I say at least a year between VII and VIII and IX will probably be like 2 years, due to more stuff going on in the books. They have more room for other things they want between the Episodes.

16. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    6 years , 2 months, 3 weeks, 2 days , 15 hours ,11 minutes and 49 seconds im willing to go a few seconds either way but anymore and i will walk out go home burn all my star wars stuff and never watch the movies again

17. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    A few months.

18. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    =D=

19. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel like a year between films would be good. It gives Lucasfilm some more opportunities to create ancillary content between the films (comics, mini-series, future Anthology films). One thing that I'll give Lucas props for is having the foresight to leave enough of a time gap between Episodes in order to capitalize on more stories, more content, and more merchandise for us insatiable fans. I mean, the fact that we can enjoy incredible IP's like The Clone Wars, the Marvel and DH comics, and novels like Lords of the Sith is all thanks to that sufficient time gap between movies. And all this ancillary "stuff" is nearly half the fun of being a Star Wars fan!

20. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    That's assuming this was the reason he had the time gaps. I tend to think it isn't. It seems more like it was done for artistic reasons.

21. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    That's assuming this was the reason he had the time gaps. I tend to think it isn't. It seems more like it was done for artistic reasons, and the marketing just takes advantage of it.

22. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Empire Strikes Back must've been awful. That 3 year wait.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Funny. The ending of TDOS was, for me, the best thing about that film.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    My thought is the galaxy has been scattered into governments which are led by warlords including what remains of the Rebel Alliance, the Resistance and the New Order. Each of these warring factions control less than ten percent of the galaxy each even after three decades of fighting.

It could be set ten years after Episode VII so that Luke could rebuild the Jedi Order, the Republic could finally be reformed, and gain more control over the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.