main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How much wiIl AOTC gross in its opening weekend? (Thu - Sun)

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Darth23, Apr 14, 2002.

?

How much wiIl AOTC gross in its opening weekend? (Thu - Sun)

Poll closed May 15, 2002.
  1. $40 million or less

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. $40 - 60 million

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. $60 - 80 million

34 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. $80 - 100 million

58 vote(s)
    38.7%
  5. Over $100 million

52 vote(s)
    34.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xaviore

xaviore Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2002
    (KeithFranklin)

Yes I agree. 111 million is what I think it can do. No problem. AOTC will fall short of Spidey on slightly due to lack of screens.

Word of mouth is key for the Saturday show. TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS THAT THIS FILM ROCKS!!!

And the rest will take care of itself.

2. kingjim

kingjim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2001
    Spiderman made a new world record in that first weekend.
    It would be pretty funny if that record was beaten two weeks later by Attack of the Clones.

3. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    If this movie is a good as it looks (and fans say) ppl will go wild :D (including me...)

4. Smooth_Jedi

Smooth_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Well no matter what our patience has finally paid off. by the way I think if any film can knock spiderman off of its perch it could only be Attack of the Clones. My estimate for the 4 days counting the midnight showings 140 mil. the 3 day weekend total 115 million easy. Come on its Star Wars any and everybody is going to see it its an american institution.

I will see it more than once so they get my money twice if it not more

5. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
  6. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Ok. .Last promotional bump.

The poll closes in a few hours (after we'cve all seen the movie).

:D :D :D

this from showBizdata.com"

"Analysts are predicting that Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones will earn between $90 million and $100 million in its first four days of release (it is set to open on Thursday).

"Clearly this is going to be a huge opening," Kevin Skislock of Laguna Research Partners told Bloomberg News today (Wednesday).

Spider-Man set a new record for a three-day weekend when it took in $114.8 million, but that film opened on more screens than are set for Star Wars. (In a statement, Lucasfilm said, "To ensure optimum presentation quality for moviegoers, Fox and Lucasfilm have limited the release to theaters with digital sound, wherever it is available.") On Tuesday, Chicago-based outplacement firm Challenger, Gray and Christmas forecast that U.S. companies could lose more than $319 million in productivity as a result of employees calling in sick -- but actually heading for the multiplex. Dave Davis of Houlihan, Lokey, Howard and Zukin, estimated that the film will eventually earn $300 million to $400 million during its North American run."

7. EwanM

EwanM Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
  8. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    does anyone know who much was grossed last night?

9. KeithFranklin

KeithFranklin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 22, 1998
    Will be included as Thursday gross...Find out Friday late morning early afternoon.

10. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    FINAL RESULTS:

How much will AOTC gross in its opening weekend? (Thu - Sun)

Over 100 million: 34%
    80 - 100 millon: 39%
    60 - 80 million: 22%
    40 - 60 million: 1%
    40 million or Less: 1%

152 votes total

11. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    The experts are all in the highest camp. (who knew?)

I made the poll before Spidey came out - If I had to do it now I'd add a 120 million or more category.

======================

Box Office Guru:
    3 day: $85 million
    4 day: $121 million

Box Office Mojo:
    3 day: $90 million

Lee's Movie Info:
    3 day: $88.824
    4 day: $121.35

The Numbers:
    3 day: $101 million
    4 day: $125 million

12. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    First estimate is out for Thursday May 16th...$27 Million. I hope that the estimate proves incorrect. It will also be interesting to see if people just decided to wait until the weekend.

13. The Flying Dutchman

Jun 4, 2000
    yes, but they are not sure this includes the $6.000.000 voor it's opening 'night'. Then again: TPM did only =/- 12.000.000 on thursday but $27.000.000 on it's opening wensday

14. Darth Euro

Darth Euro Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    The Thurday estimate has now been updated to $30,141,417. (boxofficemojo)

My prediction for the 4-day weekend is now $105 million.

15. AOTC_Too_Much_CG

AOTC_Too_Much_CG Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2002
    AOTC did 30 mil on Thus. will do 100 mil from fri - sun. for a total of 130 mil over 4 days.

16. Darth Euro

May 25, 1999
    AOTC_Too_Much_CG,

TPM's highest grossing day was its opening day, and I suspect that AOTC will follow a similar pattern. Saturday will come close, though. But I doubt that we will see more than $85 million for the three-day weekend.

17. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    Nah, I thinkthat the Opening Day was the highest becuase of the Super-Ultra Mega-Hype.

With less overkill for Episode 2, and Openign Day beign closer to the wekend, I think Saturday could end up being the biggest day - Kids and families during the day and teens ans twenty somethings at night.

I think Friday will be the lowest day.

18. Punisher

Punisher Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 1998
    Maybe $100 million, but I don't expect that. The fans are overestimating it, so I say $85 to $90 million for 3 days and $130 for 4 days, it won't touch the Spider-Man record.
    In the long run, it will make lots of money ($350 million)due to LFL/FOX's "highjacking" of theaters, but I would like to see if the SW movies had legs and weren't given an unfair advantage due to contractual agreements. I read stuff like that and it makes me want to wait until AOTC is on DVD before I see it again.

19. rich_meister

rich_meister Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    It will make enough money to put the web-slinger on his knees.

20. Darth23

May 14, 1999
    I don't think ANYONE thought AOTC would beat Spiderman's opening - the real issue is whether or not AOTC will beat Spidey's total gross, I think.

Even the mainstream press has gotten the message that Spiderman opened in 500 more theaters with 1000 more screens.

WIth 30 million on Thursday, AOTC looks good for $100 milion plus in 4 days.

(Like I predicted weeks ago.) :D

21. The Flying Dutchman

Jun 4, 2000
    I love it when those movieguys are wrong. They already said $27 was a dissapointment. Now they have to come back at that - feels good :D

22. Darth Euro

May 25, 1999
    Well, it seems like the Friday numbers have been leaked early: (From an usually accurate source on the HSX forums, but they might be early estimates)

STAR WARS 25.329
    SPIDER-MAN 11.451
    UNFAITHFUL 2.891
    ABOUT A BOY 2.592
    NEW GUY 2.019
    SCORPION KING .689
    CHANGING LANES .818
    MURDER BY NUMBERS .463
    ROOKIE .448
    MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING .291

That's a pretty good friday intake - I'm revising my 4-day AOTC estimate to $115 million. Also note that Spiderman only had a 42.5% dropoff from last friday (legs, legs), and looks likely to gross ~$40 million! in its 3rd weekend. (For comparison, TPM grossed ~$33m in its 3rd weekend)

23. KeithFranklin

Jul 22, 1998
    I think these number are a little low

24. Darth Euro

May 25, 1999
    Here is another set of Friday numbers from another source on HSX:

1 STAR WARS: EPISODE II - ATTACK OF THE CLONES 20TH CENTURY FOX 3,161 24,664,500 7,803 54,805,500
    2 SPIDER-MAN SONY 3,615 11,565,500 3,199 252,182,500

This one has AOTC lower and Spiderman higher than the other source. Which one is more correct? We should see soon...

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    A view from Puerto Rico: It seems there's not that much confidence in the Force down here, and still a lot of pulling power from certain webs. In many of the island's multiplexes, Clones and Spidey are split with either 3 or 2 screens apiece, with one screen showing a dubbed (ugh!) version of Clones. And while a good number of folks are going to see Clones, Spidey still has a lot of pulling power and repeat viewings. I don't know if the same thing is happening in the US (theaters changing their proportion of Spidey screens to give way to Clones). It's pretty obvious to me that Clones lost any chance to break records this weekend, but my hope is that Clones could rake in the summer's top-grosser prize with a prolonged screen presence and good word-of-mouth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.