main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Often Do You Change Your Site's Look?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by Daughter_Of_TheForce, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    My site has been up for almost six months, and I'm quite happy with how it looks (the colors, the pics, the typefaces, etc.). Right now I'm playing around with different looks, just for fun. Maybe I might change things on my one year anniversary.

What motivates you to change things and how often do you do it?

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I find it hard enough just to keep up with content!

I try to keep a consistent look for the site. Of course most of the sites I maintain have had templates handed to me, or given to me, so it's not like I have much say in the matter :p

¤Night

3. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Deciding on content was the third hardest thing for me, behind coding the whole thing and deciding how it would look. Now content is the at the top of the list.

It's mostly a "see what I've learned so far" kind of thing with the different looks. Well, remembered more than learned in some cases. It was like going back to design school! 8-}

4. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    my sites been up for close to 4 years now. it's had tons of different looks. I started changing the design around at least once a year. basically learning frames then tables prompted the redesigns.

5. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    my last layout change for Obidala Sanctuary was mainly a conversion to frames. but then i forgot i registered for a tag-board, but that would mean another layout change and closing down the site for another week. my solution, i have the new layout saved to a disk but won't be updated until the summer (as long as i don't forgot it's there).

~aeryn

6. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I mainly change when I'm forced to. When I took charge of the website it was based on Perl scripts. I changed to a PHP system so I had to put a layout similar to the previous one. The major changes I've made are when new major verison of the PHP software I'm using have come out, though I still try to kep the same overall look. I made minor modifications for usability purposes, for example many Mac (pre OS X systems) couldn't properly see my site as well as people on SGI's because I used CSS so I had to change back to FONT tags and a few other things. Also I realized that many people are coming from outside, probably through modems so I reduced the graphics content in the main page.

Lately I've been trying to create an even more consistent look (a few graphics here and there) and moved some parts of the site back to CSS while trying to keep everything as consistent as possible.

There is a new version of the portal forum I use so hwne I upgrade it mioght change the layout a bit. Same thing for the upcoming forum PHP scipt. But in general I try to keep everything looking much the same as it is right now.

7. monkey_abbot

monkey_abbot Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    I have changed both of my sites recently, mainly because i wanted to use frames, and i wanted a smoother look.

i think i'll be keeping what i've got now for a while.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    With my old sites I changed the look quite often, and even the whole content too! But now I barely have time to keep it updated, much less change all that crap. Most I do is change some pics now and then when S.com updates the database with something that'll fit the layout.

9. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i finally got around to changing my splash page, which is good because i looked at on a school computer, the image was so dark i could barely see obi-wan's face, just his hairline.

~aeryn

10. Princess-Leah

Princess-Leah Sketch Card Artist star 5 VIP

Jun 12, 2001
    I had one look which I kept for the whole of the entire "starwars.fansite" stage. When they closed us down, I decided to let it go for a while.
    Then I got a wild hair...and started it up again. I've changed the look once and I'm happy with it for now.
    I bet though I will change it once again before the year is through. The content will remain the same though.

I don't know diddly about HTML/coding...just use the WYSIWYG-type feature of FrontPage and code when absolutely necessary.

11. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    Mine change almost every weekend, just becuase I'm bored :p . However, I love my splash this time and it might stay for another few weeks :) Really, it matters about what pictures I find and how ready I am to "fight" with my splash maker. Then sometimes, it's just becuase I'm working on fanlistings. (Leto's is comming up ;) )

12. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I hardly ever work on my website, mostly because I don't have the time. But I suppose if I didn't waste time here, posting at force.net then maybe I'd actually get something done.

13. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I am just in a total layout mood this week :D First, I changed the look of my clique, and then just finished working on a new look for my Sabewan fansite. And I like this layout a whole better than the last one.

Tainted Love

~aeryn

14. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
  15. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I am almost sorry to say that I have not changed my sites look in like the past year.

16. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i'm not worried about changing my splash time anytime soon. yes, my first website's 1st birthday was march 30th, the celebration is still going on, until the end of may i think. i didn't get very many submissions for ewan celebration, so i decided to extend the deadline.

~aeryn

17. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I change it whenever I get an idea for a new layout, or whenver I get bored with the current layout.

I'm in the process of playing around with a new layout right now since the current layout is around a year and a half old. Prior to that layout, I had gone a couple years without changing it.

18. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    i recently gave my fifth website, fated to be (sabewan) a new dark red/pink layout. i always wanted to make a red layout for the site (i had it planned during the end of my spring semester but didn't really put it into action).

Fated to be

~aeryn

19. Niralle

Niralle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Never changed it--probably never will. It's a fan fiction site; other than a few extra pictures, one or two minor updates, (grammatical things mostly), I just don't see the need. I like it how it is.

20. Koen-the-King

Koen-the-King Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2003
    My page is publish in November previous year. In April I restyled it and in August I''l do that again. With the improvements there were a forum, games and a update on my personal file.

It really look s good.

My new forum is: http://invisionfree.com/forums/koentheking/

21. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I am layout crazy. It was only a week ago I gave Fated to Be, a new red/pink layout, now I'm working on Obidala Sanctuary. I don't mind, though. I'm always very happy whenever I work on a new layout and this one, I really like :D

~aeryn

22. artofwot

artofwot Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2003
    I've changed my look millions of times... And my websites not even up yet!

23. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    i like your layout for obidala too, aeryn! :)

my site's layout has been up for over a year. i'll be updating it as soon as i can find the time. jc banners come first :p

24. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    thanks, Grimby the Hutt :D

~aeryn

25. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    My hoepage (look at sig) I've changed 3 imes in it's...umm....3-4 years. The biggest change was from no frames to frames. Then I just changed the background. I haven't got a lot on the SCJ site yet, buit I expect it'll look similar to mine, the layout anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.