main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How often do you like fanfic authors to post?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SenatorLeiaOrgana, Jul 7, 2002.

?

How often do you like fanfic authors to post?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Once a week - I don't have a lot of time and don't want to be overwhelmed with new posts

48.8%
  2. Three times a week - I like to see the story progress at a good and interesting rate.

16.3%
  3. Everyday - I drop a story if the author doesn't continually post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. As much as possible - I have no life and spend all my time online reading fanfic. ;) (Most of us d

25.6%
  5. Other - Please elaborate

9.3%
  6. Would you drop a fanfic if the author didn't post at least once a week consistantly? Thanks for you

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SenatorLeiaOrgana

SenatorLeiaOrgana Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2002
  2. StarBlazer

StarBlazer Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2001
    I'd say once a week is a nice number. If an author is to rushed to post, the quality of the posts aren't always as good as they should be. I'd much rather waiting a bit for a good quality story than something hurriedly typed and posted. One week gives authors time to think out their posts, have them beta-read, and post. However, if a week is to soon, authors should just post whenever they are able.

Of course, that's not to say I'm complaining about those who can manage to whip up outstanding posts in less than a week. ;)

*SB*

3. Padawn_JB

Padawn_JB Jedi Master star 3

Mar 16, 2002
    A few times a week is good. But if they don't post after a few months, I'll lose interest in it.

4. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I like for an author to post when they can- if they have writers block (like I have currently... arg!) then a forced post just doesn't seem as good. But, that is just my opinion.

5. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Hmmm... I usually post every night. But I haven't posted for the last few, and this thread is making me feel better about it.

6. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Well it varies from day to day for me because I read so many fics and write so much. BUT I fully support those fics I do read obsessively and if an author has to take a week, two weeks, a month to gather themselves to post then I understand. As I tell them and everyone else that's what the advantage of these Boards. Granted the steam gets taken out of you when you have to wait for posts, but I have never yet been disappointed by posts after long durations inbetween so I look FORWARD to that story going FORWARD.

I due up stories that have stopped once a month, and if the person doesn't post in a year then I do give up.

7. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I prefer once a week, but I'll definitely stick around longer if I really like the story. Being a writer myself, I can understand if someone can't post frequently. Darth Real Life and Darth Writers Block can be a real pain. I, personally, don't like it when a story is updated a lot in one day on a regular basis. It becomes hard to catch up on, and can be pretty frustrating.

8. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Interesting question.

My own personal preference? I do like an update at least once a week, but will stick around on fics whose authors are having a hard time for a long while. If the material is interesting, I'm not just going to give up on it. :)

I guess this question is more pertinent to me as a writer, though, than a reader - I do update every day , and so far, readers haven't had problems - but it's intruiging to see that alot of people don't like that much activity. Maybe I should change my habits... *grins*

9. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    I'd say whenever they can....withing reason.....

I know it's tough sometimes to get a post up every week......and I agree that a well thought out post even every few weeks is better than a rushed one every week......but then again there are some auhthors who can write multiple posts in a week and they are all fabulous! It all depends on the author!

I'd be a hypocrite to say authors should post every week or more....becuase I barely ever do so myself....so I guess mainly I;d say however long it takes for the author to write the story the way they want it to be.....

10. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Once a day is great, a post a week is good too. I don't mind if they fall behind, but I like my writers to update fairly often.

11. Moogle

Moogle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    As often as an author has a post that he or she is satisfied with.

A rushed post is a greater tragedy than a delayed post by far.

-Moogle
    No contest

12. TorynFarr

TorynFarr Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 27, 2000
    once a week is nice, twice a week is excellent if the posts arent rushed. i'll stick around for months tho

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, it all depends... During the summer, when I have absolutely no life, every day is awesome. But during school, once a week is great seeing as I only am able to find time to check the boards once a week.

14. Greesha

Greesha Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    From the author's view: Once a week sounds pretty reasonable.

From the reader's view: Every day! Heck, every hour! But that's very unreasonable, so I voted from the author's view. :D

15. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Well, I try to post around twice or three times a week, and I like other authors who do that. It makes it possible to read more fanfic, because the stories I'm reading don't constantly take up my time with new posts. :)

16. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm of the "whenever you can" school of thought, really. I'm somewhat well known for my rather sporadic posting schedule...I have been known to post once a day for awhile, and then wait a week or two to get the next post together. It just depends on how inspired I am or if I am dealing with an issue in the story that needs resolving or I'm having trouble with. I read enough fics that long breaks don't bother me...usually at least one or two of the ones I'm reading are updated any given day or so.

I would say though that a writer is doing his readers better service by delaying a post in order to smooth it out than by feeling obligated to adhere to some sort of updating schedule.

-Tim

17. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    I post at least once a week....I think. Well, I try to do that at least.

As for when I'm reading other's fanfic, I personally prefer every couple of days or so. Everyday drives me crazy, but once I start reading a fic, you can bet I'll finish reading it unless I really dispise it and just cannot go on.

~Obischick

ps. That doesn't happen a lot, I swear! ;) :) :D

18. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I try and post teice a week. I like to try and get something up sometime during the middle of the week and one more on the weekend.

As a writer I have found this to be a good pace. With having to wait for posts to be beta read and other things. Not only is it unfair for the author to feel so under the gun, but the more time taken on each post means a better post. It also doesn't frustrate your beta reader either. I mean after all alot of the people beta reading and helping others out have their own story going and need to spend time on that as well.

Just my thoughts

19. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Yeah, and another thing with beta readers too. It gets around really quickly who the best betas are, and those people then often beta four or five stories at a time. When you're getting one or two posts a day to be betaed, things move slowly. :) The moral of the story-- don't rush your beta. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.