"How Old Are All of the Star Wars Characters Now, v2.0?"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jang-Anakin_Fett, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jaina and Jacen should be 19 as of the FH trilogy.

Aren't they 20 in FH.
    And I think that Mara is the same age or a 1 year younger than Luke. I can't remember but I think there was said in Thrawn's Trilogy that she is younger than Luke.
  2. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 5
    chimpo_the_sith:
    Aren't they 20 in FH.

Well, they were 16 in VP. I think about a year was supposed to pass between each hard cover, (though I think it has actually been less than a year in some cases), so they would have been 17 in BP, 18 in SbS, and 19 in DW. So they are approaching their 20th birthday in the FH trilogy or have just recently reached it.

And I think that Mara is the same age or a 1 year younger than Luke. I can't remember but I think there was said in Thrawn's Trilogy that she is younger than Luke.

As I said, I was present when Timothy Zahn said Luke and Mara were the same age. Of course, that doesn't mean they were born on the same day. One of them is probably a few months older than the other. However, both of them are listed as 28 in the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook.
  3. Tanakin_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've also already stated that Jacen said he wasn't even 18 in Destiny's Way. If you don't beleive me, then just look in the book.
  4. Tanakin_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wait I just discovered some news. There was an interveiw with Michael Stackpole and Timothy Zhan where both stated that Mara is in fact two years old than Luke and Leia. There's a link to the interveiw in the Mara Jade Skywalker Fan Club Thread.
  5. Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Tanakin_Skywalker Yes everything would be Ok if there wasn't that Mara would have been 16 in ANH. So that would mean that she was 2 years younger. That was a very weird interview. TZ said that Mara was the same age as Luke. Then MS said that she was 2 years older. And at the end TZ says that she would have been 16 in ANH. I don't get it.
  6. Tanakin_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes, but end the end Thrawn said: "well it would make sense for Mara to be two years older."
  7. ChildOfWinds Force Ghost

star 5
    Tanakin Skywalker:
    Yes, but end the end Thrawn said: "well it would make sense for Mara to be two years older."

That still doesn't explain why Luke and Mara are both listed as 28 in the Heir to the Empire sourcebook. AND, when I met Timothy Zahn, he distinctly said that Mara was the same age as Luke. Maybe Stackpole's comments surprised and flustered him a bit in the interview. Though why they should, I wouldn't know. Timothy Zahn is Mara's creator after all. He should know how old she is no matter what Stackpole says!

Edit: I just read that interview in the Mara Jade Fan Club, and I've come to the conclusion that Timothy Zahn may have misunderstood Stackpole. He may have thought Stackpole originally said that Mara was two years younger than Luke and then when Stackpole said that oh, he thinks she was two years older, actually, Zahn may have thought he meant two years older than 16. That would again put Luke and Mara at 18 as of ANH.

I still say that the creator of Mara should know how old she is, and he definitely said she was the same age as Luke when I saw him. He again seemed to say that in the interview before Stackpole confused him.
  8. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    As I said, I was present when Timothy Zahn said Luke and Mara were the same age. Of course, that doesn't mean they were born on the same day. One of them is probably a few months older than the other. However, both of them are listed as 28 in the Heir to the Empire Sourcebook.

Who cares what the lame brain says? He says all kinds of stupid things. That's his opinion. (If what GL says on his own DVD of his own creation is an "opinion" then what some EU aothor says at a comic book show is really just nothing at all.I would put a sarcasm quote thing in here, but that would be redundant.)

I doubt Matra was out beating Black Sun baddies to death at age 9. It is logical to have her be older. There's no way the real Palpatine of film would entrust a brainless -pre-teenager with a cup of coffee, much less something important. From Darth Maul to Mara. Talk about downsizing, and lowered expectations. Must have gone totally daft in his age. No wonder the Empire tanked.
  9. JoruusCbaoth Jedi Master

star 4
    "Who cares what the lame brain says?"

He did create the frikkin' character, after all. I'd rather not turn this into another round of "Zahn sucks!" "no he doesn't!" anyway either.

But I hope it at least falls within your logic to have a character's creator know what their backstory is.
  10. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    But I hope it at least falls within your logic to have a character's creator know what their backstory is.

The backstory that keeps changing upon his whim? I don't think so. Let's see how much more revisionist Mara's "backstory" is in the next book he writes where he tosses continuity out the window to make his queen look look like a saint.

Like the way she went from being a blood thirsty murderer so proud of her power and prestige, and Imperial Governors cowering at her very name, to a reluctant "courier" that was brainwashed, and oh so loyal, and a victim of it all, who was really doing the galaxy a favor because they were the evil ones, not the Sithlord that slayed billions that she "loved and served". Yeah, he's reliable in backstories alright.

She's definitely older. She could not have done half of what she did at 14. no general worth their salt would be cowed or take orders from some brat. This isn't X-men.

Zahn happens to be the best author ever to write a SW book.

I disagree, I find his writing very dull. he only writes his characters as being smart, real SW characters as being lunkheads.

There are far less advanced authors, that should not even be thinking of writing in the SW universe (Kevin J Anderson, Vonda N McIntyre, Barbara Hambly.......)

You forgot Kathy I write SW harlequinn romance novels Tyers.

Need I go on?

No.

Stop knocking Zahn!

No.
  11. HandOfThrawn01 Jedi Knight

Zahn happens to be the best author ever to write a SW book.

There are far less advanced authors, that should not even be thinking of writing in the SW universe (Kevin J Anderson, Vonda N McIntyre, Barbara Hambly.......)

Need I go on?

Stop knocking Zahn!

EDIT- Agreed, Kathy Tyres is not up to Timothy Zahn's level either. lol
  12. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Maybe they can have a new SW Harlequinn Romance section, and then the NJO and the above mentioned can go under that, and also the HST, which all are too mushy. Truce at Bakura was one long love letter to Mark Hamill, with his blue eyes being mentioned every third paragraph. :D
  13. Pelranius Force Ghost

star 5
    Garm Bel Iblis is certainly older than Pellaeon, as in the DFR, it was stated that when Han and Lando paid him a visit, he was an old man.

Probably at least 10yrs+ to Gilad.
  14. JoruusCbaoth Jedi Master

star 4
    "The backstory that keeps changing upon his whim? I don't think so. Let's see how much more revisionist Mara's "backstory" is in the next book he writes where he tosses continuity out the window to make his queen look look like a saint. "

At what point did Zahn ever change from "Mara is the same age as Luke" to "Mara is 2 years older"?
  15. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LFL decided it, and if they want to then they want to.
  16. no_krakana Jedi Knight

star 1
    Pardon my stupidity but what does LFL stand for?
  17. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LucasFilmLimited. The mammoth corp, in which the right hand, seldom, if ever, knows what the left hand is doing.

Sourcebooks aren't really canon. I have my old WEG ones, and they clearly state that Bail organa, and Mon Mothma started the Rebellion. Even had little "scenes" with dialogue.
    Then we got the ill-conceived HST, which negated the WEG sourcebooks, but GL is still following it for EPIII.

Sourcebooks should be taken with a grain of salt. Unless everyone agrees that Mara looks like a homeless woman, like that awful picture of her, and Jaina and Jacen look like fat Hummels. or Campbell's Soup Kids from the 40's.
    Jacen in Jaina in the soucebook

See?
  18. Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jacen has to be older than 18, because if he's not then that means that less than 2 years has passed between VP and DW, which I know cannot be true. VP explicitly states that the twins are 16. And if DW is only 2 years after VP, which would mean that the current year is 27 ABY in DW. That would mean that over the course of these 5 post-DW books take up 3 years in the NJO continuity.

I want to know what page Jacen says he's not 18. If he does say it, then WJW made a big mistake.

We are finishing year 28 (ABY), approaching 29 in the NJO continuity. Jacen was born 9 ABY, which would make him at least 19, maybe even 20 as of TFP.
  19. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Sourcebooks aren't really canon.

Except that they are. :)
  20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Yup, everything's canon, except Infinities.
  21. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I guess then Jaina's stupid Farrah hair is canon.
  22. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Hey, for all we know MISS PIGGY is canon... ;)
  23. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    Jaina was 19 in SBS and 18 in DJ, somehow. Since Jacen and she are twins, I would say they are both over 18...About a year is suppose to pass between each hardcover so when TUF comes out, they will be at least 20
  24. Tanakin_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    T4B: Look at the end of the chapter where Vergere is about to explain Zomna Sekot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.