main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How old are you and what is your opinion of the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jades Fire, Jul 2, 2001.

?

How old are you and what is your opinion of the NJO?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 13 to 17 & Like the NJO

29.5%
  2. 13 to 17 & Neutral about the NJO

5.0%
  3. 13 to 17 & Don't like the NJO

4.2%
  4. 18 to 24 & Like the NJO

16.9%
  5. 18 to 24 & Neutral about the NJO

7.3%
  6. 18 to 24 & Don't like the NJO

3.8%
  7. 25 or older & Like the NJO

17.6%
  8. 25 or older & Neutral about the NJO

4.2%
  9. 25 or older & Don't like the NJO

11.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
  2. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Determine how you feel about the NJO and respond to the question that best represents how you feel. If you love the NJO, you obviously "like the NJO". Conversely, if you hate the NJO, you obviously "don't like the NJO". If you think the NJO has been a mixed bag and you could take or leave the NJO, you are neutral.

If you are younger than 13, answer in the 13 to 17 age bracket.

3. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Does age really matter?

4. mena_lyn

mena_lyn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2001
    Yeah, I think age matters. Different age brackets respond to things differently.

Case in point--Jar Jar Binks.

5. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    If a lot of young people like it and older ones don't, it could be said that the njo is immature or juvenile. I love the njo and I'm 17.

6. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Or it could just be that the NJO fan base includes a large batch of fans who are relatively new to the Star Wars EU, and new fans are nearly always younger than established fans, including fans that aren't happy with the change in direction that the NJO represents.

7. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    im 29, not new to SW literature and i enjoy the NJO. i have actually been rather disappointed in the latest prequel round of hardbacks. JA is still going strong, hopefully JediQuest will be a lot stronger than RoguePlanet.

i do agree that some more classic trilogy novels do need to return, but a lot of people need to realize its been put on hold until Lucas finishes with the Prequels. i thinkng they are trying to avoid it so that they can write better classic sw novels.

8. KFSS-264

KFSS-264 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2001
    26, I am neutral on NJO. I like the new story line in general, but don't care for a few of the sub plots. I guess this is the case anytime you try and please a large group of people.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    My point is simply this:

Local libraries tend to classify almost all Star Wars as juvenile/teen reading material. In other words, their books that adults should not read because their too easy. Only the novelizations of the original movies are deemed worth enough for adults to read.

Yet I find the reading level in the Star Wars novels that book stores place in the general public section to be more in line with what is expected for adults to read without finding it too simple for them. And while in high school, I read Star Wars novels and found I was better able to understand words in them when we finally learned them in class.

And now back to the point. If libraries find a larger age group is reading books that are geared to a more general public, and that group is in their early teens or younger, then they may start placing all Star Wars books in the juvenile/teen section. And it's possible that book stores and online dealers might also follow the trend based only on polls and not on sales.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Nuetral. Some bits I like, some I don't.

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    15 and I've enjoyed 80% of the NJO. Maybe age does have something to do with it, because I really like most of the new books that have been coming out. Giddyness or something.

12. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm 20 and neutral about it. As DarthBoba said, some parts are good, some bad.

13. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I'm 18 and I don't like it. Less books + tighter control over plot development by LFL or whoever = better NJO.

14. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I'm 33 and get strange looks when I buy the books, from outside the Sci-Fic community.

NJO does cater for the teenage market but SW is made for those even younger. If the NJO was written to my age group, it would lose the very thing everyone reads it for---it would not be SW.

Reading is what you like, and regardless of what market it is aimed for, providing you enjoy it-buy it.

15. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Well I'm 14 turning 15 in 15 days. Yippeee! I like the NJO also.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I'm 29 and I think the New Jedi Order books are prett good. The only thing I didn't like was when Chewbacca died.

17. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I'm 34, about to turn 35 in a couple of months. (Damn, I'm getting old.) I also like the NJO just fine.

18. Dewlanna Solo

Dewlanna Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 1999
    Knight1192 Local libraries tend to classify almost all Star Wars as juvenile/teen reading material. In other words, their books that adults should not read because their too easy. Only the novelizations of the original movies are deemed worth enough for adults to read.
    In other words, their books that adults should not read because their too easy?!?!
    Where do you get this idea?
    This is not why SW books are often shelved in the YA section. At my library they are mostly in the YA section because they are books that are fit for young people to read. Much of the current SciFi shelved in the adult section is there because the content is too R and X rated for the Jr High set to be reading. It has little or nothing to do with reading level. At my library there is nothing shelved with the YA that is "too easy" for adults, those'easy' books are in the kiddie section. Other than the true kid books (GoDV, YJK, etc), the only SW books in the kids' section are the Daily Solo books (some librarian in the early 80s put there because she thought all SciFi was for children) and one of the two copies of Truce (that is there because I gave the library two copies, one specifically for the Juvenile section for the 5th and 6th graders who were bored with kid books, but not ready for the high school books in the YA section)

I'm also wondering where you get the idea that the novelizations are "deemed worth enough for adults to read." In most cases the novelizations have been more juvenile in style and content than the mainline novels as they are only retelling a PG movie.

Mutley NJO does cater for the teenage market but SW is made for those even younger. If the NJO was written to my age group, it would lose the very thing everyone reads it for---it would not be SW.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. What do you think the NJO would be like if it was written to your age group? I felt that most of the Bantam line was written for a broad audience, teens thru middle age. The NJO seems (to me) to be focusing more on the teen audience.

SW has always been something mature and interesting enough for adults to enjoy while not dwelling on "adult" themes that would be either inappropriate or boring to younger readers. Except for those specifically labeled for kids (GoDV, JJK, YJK, JA), Star Wars has not been written as juvenile books that adults might enjoy, but as adult books that discerning teens and preteens can enjoy. The NJO seems to have changed this.

BTW, I am in the last age group and do not like the NJO.

19. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    I am 21 years old and I like the NJO. Right now, I am going through withdrawl symptoms. I have loved the series. While there are definately some low points (especially Stackpole's books cut down to 2 small paperbacks) the softcover books were only suppost to be fillers anyways, so I guess I didn't have the highest expectation on them. The writing of the stories has been excellent IMO. Luceno new the feel of the EU while Kathy Tyers reintroduced romance.

The NJO has actually surpassed my expectations.

20. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    I'm 33 and I can take or leave NJO. I'd much prefer to see more stories set arround the timeframe of the Clasic Trillogy, but I must say that I like the NJO era (with all it's faults) more than the Prequel era.

21. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    I'm 34 and hate the NJO.

The poll seems at least slightly skewed toward the pattern that the younger fans (and AniSS is probably right, they are likely to be newer as well) like the NJO while the older fans, that have most likely been Star Wars fans all their lives, dislike the direction the books have gone in the last couple of years.

Keep in mind, though, that the sample size (number of people responding to this poll) will be too small to draw any definitive conclusions from. Still, patterns that show up need to be taken into consideration.

22. Anakin SkySolo

Dec 20, 1999
    The main problem with this poll or ANY poll at TFN isn't the sample size (which I agree is likely to be small), it's the fact that the sample is a (probably) biased, self-selected sample.

"Biased" because the only readers who are potentially sampled are those who are registered as TFN Forum members. Participants in the TFN Forum tend to be the most devoted, dedicated fans, and those that have regular access to the Internet. These fans are unlikely to be representative of the fan base as a whole.

"Self-selected" or volunteer because people choose themselves to participate in the poll. They aren't selected in a random fashion like the participants in political opinion polls and many other surveys. The volunteer nature of the samples also adds bias to the polls.

This poll could generate a thousand responses, thereby resolving the problem of sample size, but because the sample is biased and self-selected, the poll would still not be representative.

23. Jaina05

Jaina05 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    I may only be 13 (14 in 59 days) but I have been an EU reader for four years. I love the NJO. I am now past the age where I thought The Crystal Star was great writting and I find the NJO the be more realistic and more suted to older audiences. Where I live the Star Wars novels are located in the adult section along with Tolkien and Herbert. Only a year ago I still felt odd wandering into the adult section at the library with it's high shelves and such. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Star Wars novels may seam juvinile compared to other books, they inspire the same sense of wonder the movies do (at least for forth graders). I may have graduated to Lord of the Rings and Dune but I never get the same rush that I get from my dear Star Wars novels.

Just my young Star Wars fan view.
    -Jaina 0('')0

24. Anakin SkySolo

Dec 20, 1999
    Wedge 88--

"15 and I've enjoyed 80% of the NJO. Maybe age does have something to do with it, because I really like most of the new books that have been coming out. Giddyness or something."

Yup. Giddyness it is. You gain it as a kid, still have it when you're forty (like me), and keep it until you're at least a little bit older. Since my seventy-year old father can still get pretty giddy, I've got to presume that you need to be a bit older than that before giddyness goes away. Maybe 98 or something. :D

In case people didn't already know, I am enjoying the NJO. And I'm 40.

25. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I've enjoyed the NJO for the most part..
    I'm in the 25 + group..

{Yeah I do get second looks when I go pay for the books too..LOL}

I usually can't wait for the next one giddiness factor I suppose ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.