main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How old are you and what is your opinion of the NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jades Fire, Jul 2, 2001.

?

How old are you and what is your opinion of the NJO?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. 13 to 17 & Like the NJO

29.5%
  2. 13 to 17 & Neutral about the NJO

5.0%
  3. 13 to 17 & Don't like the NJO

4.2%
  4. 18 to 24 & Like the NJO

16.9%
  5. 18 to 24 & Neutral about the NJO

7.3%
  6. 18 to 24 & Don't like the NJO

3.8%
  7. 25 or older & Like the NJO

17.6%
  8. 25 or older & Neutral about the NJO

4.2%
  9. 25 or older & Don't like the NJO

11.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Blazer

Darth_Blazer Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2001
    If you were to not read the NJO or boycott it, wouldn't it just be you losing out? Would LFL and DelRey really care if 20 some people didnt read or buy their books? Think about these things, people. No, it doesn't matter what a few people think, not as long as the general audience is happy.

I rest my case...

2. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I'm 17 and am neutral about the NJO. Not crazy about lots of stuff that's happened, but I wouldn't say that they're worse than the Bantam books. I'm not crazy about the 1 storyline, and wish they would have some variety in them, ala X-wing series, short stories, etc. I guess that's why I've been more into the comics lately, the NJO just isn't giving me the variety that I'd like.

3. Dunc_Tracen

Dunc_Tracen Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm 22 and bored with it. Utterly bored. The Vong are scary, I suppose, but not interesting. I don't care for the kids. It has promise, but so far... Well, I'm just bored.

4. JediBindu

JediBindu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2001
    Im 21 and I like the NJO. It at least has a direction unlike the last few years of the Bantam run. My only problem with it and my biggest problem with all of the EU is that its too Sci-fi.

5. Destiny_Skywalker

Destiny_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2000
    I've been reading Star Wars books for 8 years now. I started when I was 11, but at that age I had a collegiate reading level (I read anything I could get my hands on when I was younger). I'm 19 now and I enjoy the NJO. It's different than the Bantam novels, but I still like them both. The Bantam novels still had that Star Wars feel, which I enjoyed. NJO has the Star Wars feel, but it just feels so much more DANGEROUS. I have a feeling NJO is going to have the same feel as Ep 2 & 3, as opposed to how I think Bantam books paralleled Ep 1 and 4. (Ep 5 & 6 are dark, but I think Ep 2 & 3 are going to be even darker.) Just my two cents.

6. Dev_Jannz

Dev_Jannz Jedi Youngling

May 14, 2001
    I am 29 and I like the NJO so far. I think it is about time that a little reality was put into the SW universe. I think the last time I felt this way was at the end of ESB. I liked the fact that they were not able to rescue Han and that Luke lost his hand. It was real. I liked the Bantam novels pretty well..with a couple of exceptions..but they all seemed to have the same formula to them...Good guys get into bad situation. Good guys come up with strange and unusual way to get out of it......Now we have familiar characters getting into familiar situations and not being able to come out on top.

7. Padawan_Di-Lee

Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    I'm in the over 25 crowd and have read most of the EU, including NJO with the exception of Conquest (just because I haven't found the time yet). I'm somewhere between neutral and dislike on my opinion of NJO so far. I voted neutral simply because I'm trying to keep an open mind until the series is complete, or nearly so.

I like the idea of developing of the Solo kids (and hopefully L&M's kid) as the torchbearers for the future of the Jedi, but I hate seeing it done at the expense of the original, and what I consider core, characters. So many times it seems my favorite characters are portrayed as indecisive whimps, too old to be in the action, or too weighted down with their own problems to help. I'm not sure how much of that I'll be able to take before I walk away from the EU. (I walked away once before after the Jedi Academy series & it took Luke & Mara getting together in Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future to bring me back.)

I do think NJO is an attempt at marketing to the next generation of SW fans, and I can live with that. After all, it is still a business looking to make money and secure its future. I just don't want to be swept under the rug and forgotten. :(

8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I love it but i'm younger than 13

9. SnapHiss

SnapHiss Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2001
    If anyone would like to chat about the NJO, I'd like to get an AIM room started. My IM name is: asnaphiss. Drop me a line and we'll start the room.

10. Baron_Fel

Baron_Fel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    I'm 13 going 14 and I have neutral feelings about the NJO.Why the Vong are too strong?The Jedi are getting their @$$es kicked and Borsk is the damn prez of the NR!!!

11. Anakinfan

Anakinfan Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    I am 13 and like the NJO. While I agree maybe the older characters don't get enough time that seems to be changing a little with Han in Rebirth. I started reading Star Wars books in 2nd Grade, with The Courthship of Princess Leia. I still remember when I became a Star Wars fan, When I got the Micro Machines Darth Vader/Cloud City set. I can't wait for Star By Star.

12. Ralroost

Ralroost Jedi Youngling

Aug 12, 2001
    I'm thirteen, and am sort of neutral about the NJO. It seems that for every book I thoroughly enjoy, there's one I have to push myself to finish. It seems to be getting better of late, with the Edge of Victory duology, so, hopefully that's a good sign. :)

13. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    WOW! I didn't realize how young this group really is. I'm 18 and when I used to post here I felt like a baby, but now I realize that I'm not. Hmmm

Anyways, I love the NJO, and I don't think that they are focused towards teenagers at all. I think that the authors are trying to appeal to all age groups.

I have been reading EU since I was in 3rd grade, and I really appreciate the NJO because of all the creativity. The rest of the EU is all empire and now it is a new game, and I love it.

14. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    rise my young apprentice

15. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't like the NJO, I love it!!

16. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    I'm 15, I like the NJO,except for how Kyp is portrayed.

17. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I'm 22 and generally like the new direction NJO is going.

18. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    O.K. I could accept Chewie dying and Bob's style of writing, but the way he died was really stupid. Doesn't anyone know what the Roche Limit is? NJO needs an astrophysics editor.

Now that Anakin is gone, the Vong can take over the entire galaxy for all I care and I hope they maim and/or kill Ben, that is, unless he is completely force insensitive.

Wish they would have made one Solo kid completely insensitive as well. The dialog would be so cool:
    Hey, did you feel that?
    Naugh, I never feel anything.
    That's 'cause you take after dad's side of the family.

19. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Isbeth, there are simply just too many unanswered questions regarding Sernpidal's Moon and its interaction with Sernpidal for there to be any problem with the Roche Limit.

You've made assumptions that may just be flat out wrong to assume the moon would have been broken up. That is, perhaps the capacity of the moon's cohesion is greater than the tidal forces acting upon it. Perhaps its structure is crystalline-bonded, in which the resisting forces would far exceed any tidal forces acting upon it.

The Roche Limit is merely a general rule applying to non-cohesive satellites. We have no idea regarding the structure of Sernpidal's moon. However, we know that the GFFA is literally filled with all sorts of bodies which we generally don't find here - crystal stars, etc. In addition, the density ratio of the two bodies may also have been substantial - a factor typically ignored in calculating the Roche Limit for a given system.

IMO, one thing which Del Rey doesn't need to hire is an astrophysics editor to edit the fantasy stories it produces.

EDIT: Side-note. A good time to mention the name of the Verpine asteroid field where Captain Ackbar commanded the B-Wing Project - yep, the Roche Asteroid Field. Goes to show you the level of intelligence/maturity which WEG was aiming their SWRPG at. Generally, one had to be fairly educated to get all of their various esoteric references buried in their games - which RPG'ers usually were. :)

20. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Gengus the Dead 12,

Thank you for giving me just one other reason to not like NJO. I hate fantasy. I used to think that SW was sci-fi because of all the gadgetry. Obviously not if they don't care enough about basic astrophysics!

Your point is well taken and I enjoyed the RPG reference, maybe I should hang with those guys and gals some more.

Yeah and theoretically light sabres can't work either. But regardless of how cohesive, chrytalline or otherwise, the moon simply could not come down in one piece, even if both bodies were made of the strongest stuff in the universe.

How 'bout to keep the peace, we say this galaxy far, far, away is in an alternative universe and GL neglected to tell us. After all there are those among us who would say the EU is already in an alternative universe. ;)

Isbeth, soon to be of the diplomatic corp, since I refrained from asking whether you got your astrophyics degree from a university in an alternative universe.

21. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm in that 13-17 and I love NJO because it keeps SW alive when the movies are not big.

22. JediASolo

JediASolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    I'm only 11 and I think the NJO is pretty good. I started reading the EU less than 6 months ago and I can read like 2 books in less than a week(I could read more, but school takes up too much time)so there are only a couple of novels I haven't read. I haven't finished all of the NJO, I'm only on Hero's Trial. I think it's good because there IS change from the classic and Bantam eras. They aren't battling some weakened Empire or aliens like the Yevetha(that was so stupid)that could be defeated in three books. And the Solo family isn't constanatly being kidnapped anymore. I think the deaths are also very good. Chewie's purpose was to protect Han and his family and that's what he did, even though he died. Anakin also died a hero. The Yuuzhan Vong are also good because there is so much to learn about them. The NJO is much more realistic because of the violence and the deaths. I'd much rather the NJO other than any of the other books.

23. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    I'm 56, and I don't get strange looks when I buy a NJO or ot her Star Wars book. Of course, I usually get a motorcycle magazine along with the book, so they probably figure I'm going through my mid-life crisis with a delayed reaction. I don't care. I like bikes and SW. So AARP can sue me, LOL!

24. Senator Lorena

Senator Lorena Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 21, 2000
    35 - Love the NJO! Books allow more flexiblity than the movies. Many new situations can be explored.

The deaths of major characters are difficult to handle, but it makes the plot less predictable.

25. DarthRache

DarthRache Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2001
    22, and I love the NJO. Very different from the other EU books and I love how DelRey has compiled one major story arc. I also like how theyve incorporated alot of stuff from the old EU books. I've been reading EU ever since Heir to the Empire came out and DarkHorse made the Dark Empire and Classic Star Wars comics. I've loved all books and comics...can't say i never liked one of them.

Can't wait to see what happens next in the NJO, but i wish that dark horse would do some NJO comics. I want to see more Yuuzhan Vong drawings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.