main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How old is everyone here?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tanjokabri, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AthyraFire

AthyraFire Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 28, 2001
    I know you didn't mean any offense but Toronto has roughly 4 million ppl living in it. I live in Calgary and we have about 800 000, and we're called "cow town". No offense taken, we do have small towns (I'm from one), but we've got a lot of big cities, too.

heh, sorry. i'm from the Los Angeles area and there are about 10 million people living here, as of Jan 1, 2001 (9,802,800 people to be exact). and that's just Los Angeles county. that doesn't include Orange County, Ventura County, San Bernardino County, and Riverside County, which are all located close to each other within the basin and have the same basic population density. so... well... 4 million people just seems like a small town to me. so, sorry about that. :)

2. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    (Points at self, grinning) New York. Sixteen million, not counting the suburbs or the surrounding county of people. Can't say you're bigger than that unless you're from Tokyo or Hong Kong City.

3. Avalon69

Avalon69 Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2001
    I've moved a lot, and probally will again, but right now I'm in Jacksonville.It only has 1 million people.

4. Beny_Onbe

Beny_Onbe Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Oh, I wasn't mad or anything, and I do agree that for "the second largest landmass" we do have an EXTREMELY small population. Especially compared to you guys--now you've mad me feel like a hick (jk). :( And here I thought Calgary was big. Who'd've thought, eh? Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure I don't have an accent. Did you guys in the US get the Molson Canadian ads? They were great!!!
    PS. ONLY a million ppl? Only? That sure seems like a heck of a lot of ppl to me.

5. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    I said 'only' because of these people with 10 or16 million.

6. Nightsun

Nightsun Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2001
    I live in Oklahoma City but was raised by "northerners" aka. my parents. I've noticed in my travels that the accent thingamabuga in the "South" only occurs in rural areas in those states. For instance, if you go to Texas and visit Dallas you will not hear a strong southern draw from somebody working in the mall, but if you travel just outside Dallas to Gainsville the southern draw comes into play. The only exception to this rule deals with older people or people in the mall raised in rural areas.

Back to Oklahoma, here people are the same as anywhere we have our little slang like y'all and kaint but overall the United States is loosing the subsidized accents with the television being one o9f the main sources to listen to. Not to mention the openness of the states.(the ability to travel anywhere in the country at any time).

Oh yea Southern women make the best wives

Nightsun

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    33. I feel positively geriatric now!

WOOHOO! I"M NOT THE OLDEST ONE HERE!!! Yes! (throws head on desk and sobs with relief)

I'm 31. I came here about a year ago. I was so bummed when EPI came out. Then when I started hearing about EPII I got excited about SW again. So, here I am and having a blast. I'm not married and don't have kids. I'd rather travel around and do things. Just being you're an old hag doesn't mean you don't appreciate fun anymore. Tell me which is better you guys, PlaystationII, X-box, or the Cube?

As for spooning, if no one answered, look in your silverware drawer and figure it out.

8. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    "Southern women make the best wives"
    Why did you say that?Now I have that stupid song in my head - "Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you would be"
    My mom was singing that this morning! :D

9. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    In response to your question about what the best system is, Tiershon_Fett, it depends on what your looking for:mass games(PS2) incredible graphics and great gameplay with young audiance games(GC), or cool graphics, good gameplay and adult games that can keep anyone 12 and up entertained for about 30 minutes to an hour(XB)

10. vogt0047

vogt0047 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2001
    Well after reading for awhile I guess I'll jump in.

I'm 20, female and am attending the University of Minnesota. Majoring in geology and chemistry soon to graduate! I'm married no kids yet. I love winter and hockey! <go wild!> In my spare time which I don't have any of I cook, read, listen to music etc. and I've been a star wars fan for as long as I can remember. Not sure what else you all want to know... so there ya go.

ED: and if you're wondering about my accent just watch Fargo sometime...that about sums it up donchya know! :p

11. Jedi_Strike

Jedi_Strike Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2001
  12. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    southern women make the best wives because 1. they are not as independent as northern women. 2. are more old fashioned (meaning they will cook and clean for their mates still) 3. they are simple and less confusing 4. there are a lot more southern bells than there are northern beauties 5. The marriages (according to my political science book) last twice as long and are more apt to family life because of the lower divorce rate

There are a few examples but hey I'm not sayin that there aren't a few northerners who still value family life, but with independence comes choices

Nightsun

13. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    So you're saying women shouldn't make choices? That they lack the intelligence or something? Yeah, okay... you think what you like.

14. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    I said nothing of the sort. My point is that in the south there are still a lot of strong traditional values. Slowly, independent women will take over the world, but right now the south still practices tradition over independence

Nightsun

15. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    I'm afraid you're wrong,Hon.I'm too independent, and have never cooked; and neither does my mom.I believe you're refering to my grandmother's generation.

16. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    See? You can't make generalizations based on sex. Even when rooted in regional practices 8-}

17. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    Then it's already happening because at 22 depending on where you go you can start to really notice the change I have friends my age that come from small towns and the girls there all (well at least 95%) still believe in traditional values but just not as much. For instance they still do all the cleaning like laundry and most can cook up one hell of a meal. If you've never had a southern breakfast I reccomend trying one. For those of you that have you know what I'm talking about. Back to the point The women in the north have been independent since 1920. The year that women's sufferage ended with the 19th amendment. But, in the south, they cling to tradition, therefore the process is slowed down. So with each new generation the women of the south have become more independent, and like you said your generation might be full blown.

Nightsun

18. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    He's right that the marriages do last longer, but in my family it's for weird reasons.

19. Nightsun

Jun 23, 2001
    My sociology teacher, a man from New York, told us that when he came to Oklahoma, he had never heard of chicken fried steak or even gravy. At first I thought he was kidding, but then another woman in the class said that she had never heard of the two either. Will someone from up north confirm that this still exists, because both my teacher and the lady were both over thirty and had lived in OK for over ten years.

Nightsun

20. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    Of course there's chicken-fried steak,I believe it's in the Golden Corral.They didn't know about gravy? [face_shocked]

21. ShinagamiWing

Oct 21, 2001
    I'm from New York and I've always known what gravy is... don't take that guy as our representative!

22. Sjorensly

Sjorensly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    *hhhmmm*

where's the food.....you were talking about food right....?

Got hungry while watching the rancor game (you should go watch)

23. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    Watching the rancor game?You mean trying to kill me!

24. Sjorensly

Sjorensly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    it's all for the love of the game :D

25. Avalon69

Dec 7, 2001
    Oh I suppose I 'dared to question you'. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.