How old is the Galactic Rebellion?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. OnlyOneKenobi Jedi Knight

star 3
    Is there ever any mention made, or any hints dropped to how long the Rebellion has existed in the OT?

I posted theory on another thread where I came up with the idea that with the Clone War, the Jedi break away from the Republic \ Empire, along with a few senators, like Bail Organa, etc. and they become a third faction in the War - it ends up in a war with the Jedi & Rebels vs. Republic \ Empire vs. Seperatists.
  2. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Don't know about the movies, but I know two things Lucas has said regarding the rebellion:

1. He's stated that Bail Organa will lead the Rebels in Episode 3.

BUT

2. He's also stated that Leia and her peers are the first to realise that the Republic has become an evil Empire.

So what does that mean ?

I have no idea.

But what it could mean: the Rebels exist in Episode 3 as, say, an ideological political movement, which Palpatine tolerates - it would probably even help his case. But it does not evolve into an active, militant force until Leia's time ... ?

But then, if its not an active force in Episode 3, what is Bail leading? And who is Vader & the Emperor fighting... ?

3. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Doesn't the opening crawl of ANH say something like:

"Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire"

They may have been around awhile and getting their butts whooped for the past 20 years but I doubt it. I'd say it's quite a new organisation at the time of ANH, comprised of people like Leia and Bail who can take action with a barrier of politics and red tape to save them if something goes wrong. Leia's bluster at being arrested by Vader sort of supports this, she seems confident she can use her position as a protection.
  4. The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed. It probably been a military rebellion for a couple of years. However it could have been doing political things and other events behind closed doors to overthrough Palps.
  5. Cal_Omas Jedi Knight

star 2
    The different resistance cells that were merged into the Alliance To Restore The Republic have been around since Palpatine declared himself Emperor. But the official creation came with the Corellian Treaty, signed by Mon Mothma, Garm Bel Iblis and Bail Organa at Corellia sometime between Episodes III and IV.
  6. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    What is your source for that Cal? ?[face_plain]

Edit: If it's an EU source, please be aware of this which was posted at the inception of the forum in the rules thread up the top of the thread list:

"EU can be presented as a possibility. One option out of many. It is not to be presented as an absolute, or fact that cannot be argued against. When presenting an EU argument, it is considered good manners to point out that you are putting forth an EU commentary."

In the future, it might be good to just mention the fact that you're giving an EU explanation so everyone is on the same page from the start.

:)
  7. Ternian Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I think at the end of EpIII, we will actually feel extremely happy that the Empire exists; Leia and the Rebellion are going to look bad in the OT until Sidious is revealed as Palpatine etc yadda yadda.
  8. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

Nah.

Lucas has said E3 will be the darkest of all the movies. A tragedy.

As I see it, we will get to the end of Episode 3 and think, "Sheesh, there goes their last hope. They're going to hell in a basket now."

And then, there's A New Hope...

How the Rebellion fits into this, i do not know. I imagine there are 'rebels' in Episode 3 (otherwise, who is going to fight in the big battle at the end?)

Or perhaps the Jedi are the first rebels? Bail et all are just the political wing of the Rebels - and the Jedi become the militant wing. And when the Jedi are wiped out, the Rebels are left with leaders but no soldiers - or at least a relatively weak army of non-Jedi - and thus no hope.

Until more jedi are born, and then there is A New Hope: the Jedi, and thus the Rebellion, will rise again, and defeat the Empire...

My theory d'jour, anyways.
  9. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
  10. JediHunterCommand Jedi Master

star 1
    My opinion is that the Rebellion starts to assemble ten years before ANH, or thereabouts.

It has a hard time getting off the ground, finally winning its first victory years later. Bail Organa, realizing that the Rebels can't deal with Vader without Jedi help, sends Leia to crazy old Ben Kenobi, with a message that basically says, "It's time."

I expect Leia had a message from Bail to Obi-Wan that she was unable to deliver. She didn't know the full contents of the message, which was basically "our twenty-year-old opposition plans must be put into action at last," so she just sent Artoo off with the Death Star plans and a message from her.
  11. TheOzhaggis Force Ghost

star 5

I'm guessing that the Rebels knew exactly where Obi-Wan was (or at least that he was on Tatooine) and that when Leia's ship was invaded en route to Alderaan/wherever, she realised that she was close to Tatooine, so she immediately thought of Obi-Wan, the guy her 'father' kept telling her about ...

I think it's clear that there will be opposition to Palpatine in Episode 3. And that Bail Organa will be involved. As such, you could say that the 'rebellion' begins in E3 ... but whether or not its the actual Rebel Alliance, or whether that is officially formed much later ... is anyone's guess.
  12. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I always thought that only few people knew where Obi-Wan Kenobi lived. Because of his importance, it would be ridiculous to assume that everybody in the Rebellion - or even those holding the high positions - knew where he was. IMHO, only Bail Organa knew where Obi-Wan was, possibly because they both became friends in the PT trilogy :confused:

DA :
    "Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire"

They may have been around awhile and getting their butts whooped for the past 20 years but I doubt it.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the Rebellion had NO victories. It's quite possible that the Rebellion has been a petty thorn in the side of the Empire for the past twenty years, and striked just before ANH. Sort of like the Seperatists in the AotC, in which the organization kept drawing in more and more planets to its cause but didn't actually attack until AotC on Geonosis.

Aunecah
  13. JediHunterCommand Jedi Master

star 1
    I still find it a bit doubtful. Twenty years is a long time. Wise people like Obi-Wan and Bail might have the patience, but it would be difficult to keep any popular support for that long.

However, if there's any opposition in Ep. III, it's possible that Obi-Wan advises Bail to wait for the kids to grow up before they do anything.
  14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    This makes me look and sound like an idiot, but it must be said. My source is eu, so take it as you want.

Mom Mothma has been working to overtake palpatine for along time. The time isn't definate, but people in the empire believed that she wanted to overthrow palpatine just to put herself in his place.

The eu also states that the papers for rebelion were signed 3 years before yavin, although the consenting members didn't come right out and declare war. I personally think war was the last alternantive and it was only used because it had to be.

Axl.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.