main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo How packed was your theatre?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by HaloWithStyle, May 27, 2018.

1. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    You know the weird thing is that when I booked it, it said 8 seats were already taken but there was no-one in them. So, during the ads, I typed in future showings and it appeared to have the same eight seats taken at all showings in the same theatre. I've no idea what that's about.

2. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's reserved for the force ghosts?

3. Prison_Mike

Prison_Mike Jedi Padawan

Mar 11, 2017
    Ticket scalpers maybe?

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I had that happen at my last viewing. Selection board showed around 4 seats taken in the row where I was and no one was there.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    New conspiracy theory: LF buys the tickets to pimp the BO numbers :p

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That or the cinema staff block certain seats to make it look like they will have a larger crowd..

Seagoat likes this.
  7. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Do they think people wont go if there are hardly any others in attendance? That's a weird bit of thinking. Nothing surprises me these days though!

8. ArtemusGordon

ArtemusGordon Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2015
    It was actually quite busy, but I did see it opening day.

9. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    They might be special seats. At my theater, two of the rows have a different kind of seating and are booked as if they're in a separate showing, but it's actually the same showing. So they always show up as taken when you go to book regular seats.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Don't know what was special about these. The cinema has standard seats and the premium seats (reclining, etc) which cost more. The booked ones were standard seats - not near a wheelchair area or anything like that. They just happened to be in the row I usually choose to sit in or I probably wouldn't have noticed.

11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I peak my head in to a theater showing Solo the last time I was at the movies. There was 1 person in the entire theater. One. I know it's six weeks out but man that is just incredible.

Felicia and Master of None like this.
  12. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    We went 2 weeks after release mid week matinee....not a huge theatre but is was maybe 20% filled

13. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    For my third viewing, I saw it this morning, at 10:10 AM, and when I bought my ticket I thought I'd be the only one in the small theatre. Then a family of six or seven filled up the seats to my left. I couldn't see who was in the seats to the front, but that's not a bad showing, and everyone seemed to be enjoying the movie.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    The closest theater to me has two 72' wide 3D/Ultrascreens, three "Big Bistro Screens" and eleven other screens. I absolutely hate going there. It's always packed, no matter what movie. It's always sold out. All seats are assigned, and it's more expensive. I saw TFA there, and had to wait in a long, slow line to even get in to a cram packed giant screen with crappy "3D."

Screw all that. I try to drive out to one of two smaller theaters that I know of outside of the city, where it's always mostly empty, and we can sit where we want.

FWIW, I saw Solo well after it premiered. There were a few other people in the room(like 4? 5?).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Could be a super fan like me. I usually book the same 8 seats to every showing of a Star Wars movie in theaters at my local theater, because I don't know when I'll feel like going and I'm really particular about my seating arrangement. I bring no more than 3 other guests, but I like to have that buffer of 2 seats on each side of us because, you know, annoying people. It's a bit pricey but it's like charity to me, I want to help the box office, and it's like having a reserved table at your favorite restaurant. It's a standing reservation.

Haha just joking. Yeah, I WISH I was that rich :p

My last screening of Solo was ok, I guess there were like 8-10 people there, which was impressive. I've seen it alone before though too, I think it was my 10th viewing and final viewing in IMAX was completely empty, private screening for me. It was awesome. I really love IMAX for that reason, doesn't matter what the movie (at least in my market), it's almost always empty except for part of opening weekend. You will never know if a movie is doing well or not from my local IMAX, it's pretty much impossible, but TFA was the exception. That movie never had fewer than 10 people in any IMAX screening even 9 weeks after it opened (final week in IMAX here). It was downright impressive, and IMAX screenings were basically sold out for 3 straight weeks more or less.

By comparison, a lot of big movies that would have you believe they were sold out all weekend were completely empty. I saw Beauty and the Beast Sunday night of opening weekend and there was only ONE other person there. ONE! I saw TFA that same time, Sunday night at 10, and it was sold out lol. Sometimes I am legitimately curious how movies like that made 70% of TFAs opening considering from my personal experience it seemed like it was about 1% as busy :p There was some other big movie like that too, I'm trying to remember, some other major blockbuster from the last year and there were 4 people including my GF and I at the Sunday night IMAX.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    To the colo claw fish gills

17. oldtimefan 2

oldtimefan 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 27, 2017
    These are called house seats they are kept spare in the event somebody breaks pees or pukes on some of the other seats.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  18. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I saw it twice, once in the first week release, and the second time a week (or two?) later.
    First time about 50-75% full
    Second time about 25-40% full