How powerful are Imperial star destroyers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Peacekeeper, Feb 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Beats me. Big ones, obviously. Valiento?
  2. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    two novaldex J-77 "event horizon" engines.

very spiffy I guess,:D.
  3. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Fastest engines ever made for a fighter in the NR.
  4. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Yes they were at the time of endor, NR may have faster ones out by NJO times though.
  5. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, we haven't seen any new fighters as of yet, but you never know. . .

The In's and Out's of Shield Generators and Projectors (v5.0):

1.) Shield Operation:

i. Power from the power core enters the generators. There, it is converted into power that can be used by the projectors, and the power output is increased, by some large amount. There have been several documented cases of shield residue going higher than 7.5%, some as high as 15%, but it is very uncommon.

ii. "Purified" energy is routed from the generators into the projectors, where they turn the energy into "Shield Energy" which makes the shield. The projectors then "project" the energy around the ship, protecting it from a reasonable amount of attack.

2.) In the event of a catastrophic failure of the Generators:

i. Projector capacitors will allow a safe power-down until another source is found. Although it is very uncommon, small amounts of shield power residue may be left from the capacitors, allowing a 7.5% or less shield to exist for a short time.

ii. Engineers are to attempt a re-route of crude power from the core to reestablish a shield. Since this is "crude power" the shields suffer an immense power loss, and only function at around 25% of full power, although, power levels in excess of 25% have been attained before.

3.) Particle and Ray Shielding:

Particle Shielding- Particle shielding prevents all physical objects from passing through it. Particle shielding is to left on at ALL times, to protect the ship from micro-meteorites.

Ray Shielding- Ray Shielding prevents all types of energy from passing through it. Ion Cannons can penetrate a Ray Shield and can only be stopped if the shield is configured to stop one, although then laser cannons can penetrate the shield. Ray Shielding is to be activated ONLY during battle, due to the large power drain of Ray Shields.

4.) Dangerous Warheads:

There are many different types of warheads, several different types of Concussion Missiles and Proton Torpedoes, different types of heavy rockets and bombs, T-33s a very dangerous warhead that can be carried by fighters, three of them can disable a Star Destroyers shields.Another type of warhead is a "mag pulse" warhead, which can penetrate ray and particle shields, but only disables electronics for up to one minute. Mag pulses can be carried by fighters, so are highly dangerous There are also many kinds of "multi-megaton" warheads that only capital ships carry.

Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles are a great threat to any ship. They are not affected by ray shields and it is rumored that there is an advanced type of concussion missile that is not affected by ray nor particle shields. There is also an advanced type Proton Torpedo, which yields a much higher power output then its predecessors, it is unknown if they have the same particle shield displacers that the rumored concussion missiles may have. Gunners and Pilots are to destroy ANY warhead, even if it means losing a target.

5.) Laser Fire:
    While ray shielding does eliminate most threats from laser fire, laser still pose a threat if persistent fighters decided to attack constantly, and overwhelm the projectors. Laser fire will only incur a 1-5% reduction in shield integrity every 40 seconds per two to three fighters therefore, it is not a priority threat, but is still a problem that can cause significant damage to a ship.

6.) Anomalous threats to shields:
    i. Modulating Laser Frequency-
    If an enemy captial ship knows the specific frequency of a ship's ray shields, they can modulate their lasers and turbolasers to that frequency, letting the blasts through the shields.

ii. Various Bombers-
    Starwing Assault Missle Boats, which have an 80 missile capacity and SLAM overdirives, which can triple their engine output. They are very dangerous to ANY ship, but are fairly rare.
    K-Wing bombers are also very dangerous to any ship. They have heavy payloads, which include several T-33 heavy plasma bombs, which is the strongest and most powerf
  6. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    One must remember that a-wings existed 10 years before anh, but not in large quantities. They can be seen in lucas's stories on the droids cartoon. One even was at the battle of yavin, but was off camera.

x-wings are very old and can be dated back to the time of tpm(E.A.S.). It has just gone through multiple upgrades over time.

Maybe the same thing has happened to the tie line of ships too?
  7. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I didn't know about the A-Wings, but, weren't the X-Wings predecessors Z-95 Headhunters? I know that the TIEs were first T.I.E.s. They were larger and slower.
  8. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I didn't know about the A-Wings, but, weren't the X-Wings predecessors Z-95 Headhunters?

yes, but their is at least 6 different types of z-95s. the oldest existed pre tpm. But improved modificationes existed concurrently along side the early x-wings. Remember luke says "Old" snub fighter when he sees an x-wing for the first time at yavin(at least in the radio drama), so x-wings are definetly old. E.A.S. the x-wing prototype stands for Experimental Academy Starfighter.

"I know that the TIEs were first T.I.E.s. They were larger and slower."

yes I've read about that.
  9. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    It was an Experimental Academy Fighter.

Wedge is flying a Z95 that is a very close precursor to the Xwing in one Xwing comics.

Of course the common Xwings in use by the rebellion were the newest version.

The Incom design team had defected and gave the Rebels the plans for the Incom T-65.
  10. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So, what do you think of the revisions?
  11. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "5.) Laser Fire:"

change it to laser and Ion fire. then expand on the negatives of ion that gets through it's quite similer to mag pulse.
  12. yoddles Jedi Knight

star 3
    Wouldnt it be possible to Combine the A-Wings
    event horrizon engines with the Engines of a Tie Interceptor and make an Advanced Event Horrizon Ion Engine that is much faster than the engines of a tie interceptor?
  13. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hmm..personally, I doubt it; engines on most things work largely the same way, but considering how small TIE engine modules seem to be (particularly when compared to the massive, '60's-style engines on the A-wing) I have my doubts.
  14. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    Valiento,about those Awings in the droid cartoons...I would say they are very early experimental prototypes that failed.

Acording to the Rebel Alliance sourcebook.,the Awing was designed by Jan Dodonna after Yavin.

Dodonna probaly improved on the old Awing design,making them a working interceptor,capable of outrunning the fastest TIE.
  15. DarthSeti5 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The In's and Out's of Shield Generators and Projectors (v6.0):

1.) Shield Operation:

i. Power from the power core enters the generators. There, it is converted into power that can be used by the projectors, and the power output is increased, by some large amount. There have been several documented cases of shield residue going higher than 7.5%, some as high as 15%, but it is very uncommon.

ii. "Purified" energy is routed from the generators into the projectors, where they turn the energy into "Shield Energy" which makes the shield. The projectors then "project" the energy around the ship, protecting it from a reasonable amount of attack.

2.) In the event of a catastrophic failure of the Generators:

i. Projector capacitors will allow a safe power-down until another source is found. Although it is very uncommon, small amounts of shield power residue may be left from the capacitors, allowing a 7.5% or less shield to exist for a short time.

ii. Engineers are to attempt a re-route of crude power from the core to reestablish a shield. Since this is "crude power" the shields suffer an immense power loss, and only function at around 25% of full power, although, power levels in excess of 25% have been attained before.

3.) Particle and Ray Shielding:

Particle Shielding- Particle shielding prevents all physical objects from passing through it. Particle shielding is to left on at ALL times, to protect the ship from micro-meteorites.

Ray Shielding- Ray Shielding prevents all types of energy from passing through it. Ion Cannons can penetrate a Ray Shield and can only be stopped if the shield is configured to stop one, although then laser cannons can penetrate the shield. Ray Shielding is to be activated ONLY during battle, due to the large power drain of Ray Shields.

4.) Dangerous Warheads:

There are many different types of warheads, several different types of Concussion Missiles and Proton Torpedoes, different types of heavy rockets and bombs, T-33s a very dangerous warhead that can be carried by fighters, three of them can disable a Star Destroyers shields.Another type of warhead is a "mag pulse" warhead, which can penetrate ray and particle shields, but only disables electronics for up to one minute. Mag pulses can be carried by fighters, so are highly dangerous There are also many kinds of "multi-megaton" warheads that only capital ships carry.

Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles are a great threat to any ship. They are not affected by ray shields and it is rumored that there is an advanced type of concussion missile that is not affected by ray nor particle shields. There is also an advanced type Proton Torpedo, which yields a much higher power output then its predecessors, it is unknown if they have the same particle shield displacers that the rumored concussion missiles may have. Gunners and Pilots are to destroy ANY warhead, even if it means losing a target.

5.) Laser and Ion Fire:
    While ray shielding does eliminate most threats from laser fire, laser still pose a threat if persistent fighters decided to attack constantly, and overwhelm the projectors. Laser fire will only incur a 1-5% reduction in shield integrity every 40 seconds per two to three fighters therefore, it is not a priority threat, but is still a problem that can cause significant damage to a ship. Ion Cannons are a type of energy weapon that can penetrate ray shields that aren't configured to intercept Ion blasts. Ion Cannons disable eleetronics for short periods of time, much like a mag pulse warhead.

6.) Anomalous threats to shields:
    i. Modulating Laser Frequency-
    If an enemy captial ship knows the specific frequency of a ship's ray shields, they can modulate their lasers and turbolasers to that frequency, letting the blasts through the shields.

ii. Various Bombers-
    Starwing Assault Missle Boats, which have an 80 missile capacity and SLAM overdirives, which can triple their engine output. They are very dangerous to ANY ship, but are fairly rare.
    K-Wing bombers are also very dangerous
  16. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    also in your tie defender section "beam weapons" are not synonmous with lasers and ion cannons.

They are an enhancment module on a ship that give it a advantage. some beams disable ship components like a mag pulse if aimed at a component on a ship.

some are mini tractor beams a resourceful pilot might find a use for it on something larger other than a fighter.

some are jamming devices keep a radio from asking for reinforcements.

some are like "cloaking" devices, while the fighter remains "visible" to the nakid eye he cannot be targeted, this can pose a major threat to a capship because it doesn't know what he is fireing at or being fired upon by unless the gunner has good vision.

Tie defenders are known for the ability to mount one of those beam packages. Maybe newer models have enough of a power core to mount 2 at the same time.

Most fighters have countermeasure packages:

most ships can carry chaff and mini rockets, so they are hard to hit. chaff, causes fire and liquid metal that a targeted missle will lock onto saving the pilot. the mini rockets(exact name escapes me, stubble?), will lock onto a targeted missle and will detonate it on impact. this adds to the "difficulty" of taking down a fighter threat.
  17. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Valiento,about those Awings in the droid cartoons...I would say they are very early experimental prototypes that failed.

Acording to the Rebel Alliance sourcebook.,the Awing was designed by Jan Dodonna after Yavin.

Dodonna probaly improved on the old Awing design,making them a working interceptor,capable of outrunning the fastest TIE."

Yes, i've always thought it was some kind of prototype, that somehow got stolen and produced by pirates. from force commander we learn that some were stolen enmasse from a imperial design depot after yavin. Jan Dodonna and walex blissex(possibly the one that designed it at the imperial design depot, and escaped with them) improved on them after yavin.

In anycase the stories written by lucas overides the rebel sourcebook, so some minor retro continuaty must be added, Like it has somewhat been done, in official sources. On a later note I remember reading that it was dodonna and blissex that designed the engines and the ship design itself existed before that. With modifications it was the best design for the engines.
  18. Corran9 Jedi Master

star 4
    They should make new X-Wings with four of the "event horizon" engines, surely they've gotten smaller since Yavin. Or maybe keep the regular X-wing engines on the 4 wings and put a single J77 in the rear or the X-wing. It could act like an afterburner, and THAT would make for a fast ship.
  19. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    At the expense of storage space, probably the R2 unit, and a proton torpedo or two..
  20. Corran9 Jedi Master

star 4
    The R2 can't go, and if it did you might as well get rid of the Hyperdrive and keep the storage space.

No I thinking more along the line of just elongating the fuselage to fit the J77.

And the storage space can't really help you in a firefight, a hugely powerful 5th engine would.

As for giving up 2 torps...well if you got more power out of your laser cannons because of the fifth engine you wouldn't be in that big of a disadvantage.
  21. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not necessarily. Being able to go really fast generally cuts back on dogfighting ability.
  22. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Now mounting a slam overdrive on an x-wing might be a little bit more useful than the "event horizons".
  23. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Gack..more PC Game talk..what's a 'slam overdirve'?
  24. Corran9 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not really. But let's say your manuvering hasn't been upgraded with the instalation of a J77.

After making a tight turn you can cut in the J77 to blast away. Also when you are being chased you can put more distance between yourself and your pursuer. By doing so you can give yourself more room to turn around and do a head to head pass. And against a shieldless TIE this is a very effective manuver. Also in a large battle a squadron of these advanced X-Wings can intercept a squadron of enemy fighters closer to the enemy capital ship. Where you can break off the enemy fighters and attack the capital ship, without fear of your own capital ship being endangered. These X-Wings would also be more versatile. You can use them in the "hit and fade" missions you would normally use A-Wings in, making A-Wings obsolete.

This is if the manuverability of the X-wings wasnt upgraded with the instalation of the J77.
  25. yoddles Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why not put Ion Engines in the X-Wings and other prominent NR fighters?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.