main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How powerful are Imperial star destroyers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Peacekeeper, Feb 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    what your wanting to do with a j77, is what a slam overdrive was designed for.

darthboba, I talked about them above.
    They were a type of afterburner designed for the starwing assault missle boat(see seti's list for more detail), that gave accelerated speed up to 3 times the ships normal speed. It allowed for quick maneuvering and escapes during a battle, or surprise attacks. it was designed as a way combat the tie defenders that rogue admiral zaarin had most control of during the tiefighter campaign.

SLAM is an anacrynym but I can't remember what it stands for.

2. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Starwing Assault Missle Boats, which have an 80 missile capacity "

that should be 80 warhead capicity, since it could carry most any fighter mountable warhead type.

useally it was loaded with 40 torps, and 40 of another warhead type.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    One thing about rebuilding the X to take a EH engine: it might throw the balance of the design way off; i.e., you could have serious problems trying to turn.

Thanks, Val.

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Your welcome. I bet though that a starwing could be handy towards the vong, if loaded with the right warhead type.

as for what you said about "it might throw the balance of the design way off", yes that was the reason they used the a-wing design in the first place it was ship that could hold the stresses. Even then their was times were the engines tried to rip throught the structure. A-wings are very fragile because of that.

Starwings and slam drives on the other hand are based off the assault gunboat design, and are more similer to x-wing frame, so chances are a slam could be adapted to an x-wing frame without causing too much damage if it was activated. the thing about slam though is that they are limited they can burn out if used too long, and put a major drain on the engines that have to recharge after every couple of uses. One thing because of this, the starwing only had one laser canon, to compensate for the power needed by the slam. but because an x-wing isn't trying to carry a humongous warhead load like the starwings it's conceivable that the power drain would not be as bad. so it would make a nice upgrade to the newest of very old x-wing line.

5. Corran9

Corran9 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    The J77 would create its own source of power rather then use the power created from other engines like the slam does. You can change design of an X-Wing fuselage so that it would take the stresses without being ripped to shreds. Besides, unlike an A-wing, it would only have 1 engine, and perhaps in a tuned-down version. Also you can use the thrust from the J77 to help turn the ship, if you so felt inclined to. Althought you wouldn't really have to use 5 engines to steer the ship, just enough manuvering jets to keep it pointed where you want to go. After all in the dead of space you have no atmosphere to fly in, so the only manuvering you can do would be through the directing of thrust at differing angles, and/or using manuvering jets.

So, what you would end up with would be a longer, slightly wider(in the rear at least) X-wing with higher power output shields and lasers. Meaning you would have a faster ship, with more laser and shield power, with negligent manuveriablity loss.

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "design of an X-Wing fuselage so that it would take the stresses without being ripped to shreds"

If you changed the fusalage then it wouldn't be an x-wing anymore.

actually from what I can find engines don't truly produce the power they have novaldex power generators that do that. or incase of ties a solar ionization reactor. In any case j77 might put too much of energy cost on it's generators, especially 5 engines.

A slam just uses the engines on hand and causes them to work harder than usual. They put a major strain on the engines that causes so that they have to be recharged, but the engines will work at about normal efficiency still. slam can overload and burn out if used for extended amount of times and be worthless until they are recharged. but with with a bit of using the systems to divert power from time to time they are eceptionally useful.

7. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    what the heck are Starwing Assault Missle Boats

8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Imperial Missle Boats.

A fighter that Grand Admiral Thrawn ordered developed and built,to counter the threat of the TIE Defender(which was being used with great success by rogue Grand Admiral Zaarin)

It could carry a large payload of missles ,more then any known fighter could carry.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    80 to be exact.

A payload of 40 proton torpedos, and 40 warheads of other another class. Well I don't exactly remember if they you could use another main loadout than that, but I assume they could. You could probably have a load out of any 2 warheads, or any 1 warhead if you so very well chose too.

they were equiped with SLAM overdrive (a type of afterburners, remember how many ships do you know of that even have afterburners), to give it speed it didn't have because of that huge missle loadout. because the power generators worked so hard to carry all those warheads and to power the warhead mecanisms, and because slam overdrives requirded so much power themselves, starwings were given only one laser, so the laser systems would not be much of a draw on the power generator. slams are charged by the generators and can run out of energy if used too much, so they must be used sparingly or have energy systems on recharge mode flow energy into them.

I assume a slam on a craft with more economical warhead loadout would be far more able to use slam to it's fullest without out it being a pain to the power generators.

10. Corran9

Dec 8, 2000
    As long as it has still has 4 wings in an "X" formation I'm fairly confidant that it would still be called an "X-Wing."

So what powers these generators? In a car the alternator makes the electricity needed to run the car, but the engine powers the alternator. So really the engine powers itself with a little help from the alternator. Since an X-Wing doesn't have solar panels, I seriously doubt they run on batteries. So the engine must be what powers the ship.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "As long as it has still has 4 wings in an "X" formation I'm fairly confidant that it would still be called an "X-Wing.""

nope one of the z-95s was built with the s-foils but was not a x-wing. You drastically change the cockpit and it has to be a new class of craft. The wing placement itself has nothing to do with it.

"So what powers these generators? In a car the alternator makes the electricity needed to run the car, but the engine powers the alternator."

they work nothing like cars, the generators are powered by a fuel cell, which has to be recharged, their are things on the x-wing that can get gas outside space to use as fuel which will lengthen the flight of the fighter. but ultimately fuel is an issue.

in the case of the tiefighter like craft, it gets fuel from the stars through it's solar panels which power the generators. the generator has it's own fuel supply to begin with though. Ties must land for refueling and can not go on indefinately.

"So really the engine powers itself with a little help from the alternator. Since an X-Wing doesn't have solar panels, I seriously doubt they run on batteries. So the engine must be what powers the ship."

As I said a car is not the best analogy.

12. Corran9

Dec 8, 2000
    So basically what you are saying is that the engines themselves are nothing more than thrusters? They do nothing other than push the fighter around? They haven't figured out how to use the power from an engine to power a ship's systems. Maybe a self-regenerating fuel cell, that once you get the engine going, converts the energy back into fuel. We have regenerating fuel cells now, Ballard Power makes them. In a culture so advanced I'm sure they can convert the energy back into fuel easilly.

A 67' Corvette and 2001 Corvette look nothing alike but they are both still Corvettes. You can have a ship that shares only the basic s-foil configuration of the T65, and still call it an X-wing.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    corran your forgeting that star wars was created back in the 70's, and many technology invented and not thought possible for the movies have been bypassed in the modern world. These technologies we now are seeing were not possible back then. But in any case I remember seeing a recharging fuel chamber mentioned(retroactively of course in the EU), but from what I can remember it had nothing to do with the engine, my advice to you is contact tears of palptine or darth boba, and even trias, and find out if they know more about it and get back me and tell me what say about the recharging fuel chamber/cells. Also get back to me on how exactly the generator and it's power core works. I was telling you what I know, but I could be incorrect, or even outdated.

Lastly what you perpose to do with a J-77 is not what they were designed for you want afterburners. That is what slam is. J-77 is not an afterburner, not meant to be an afterburner, and is much slower than a slam. Slam will effectivly give the x-wing enough after burner to do all sorts of neat stuff, and the speed will make them great for surprise attacks. If you could add the beam weapon that effectivly acts as a sensor cloak(takes fuel mind you), you would have a good fighter.

How is afterburning done in the real world? as far as I know they do not have extra engines inserted on to the fighters.

It's just a built in thing in the engines.

"A 67' Corvette and 2001 Corvette look nothing alike but they are both still Corvettes."

Well a correllian corvette and 2001 corvette are both called corvettes but they are not the same thing.

Remember x-wings are no longer truly x-wings, they are now called XJ-wings(sp.)

but in anycase I hope you listen to my advice and ask someone that truly knows how an x-wing powers itself. also I hope you realize how odd your idea sounds because it has no real world similarietes to our own fighters afterburners.

so yes they would probably come up with something new for the name.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, here is what I got from the offical technical Journal, refueling is necessary, The power system is novaldex 04-Z cryogenic power cells and ionization power reactor.

15. yoddles

yoddles Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2000
    a question, If Grand Admiral Thrawn had been in command of the Eclipse during the TTT would he have destroyed the NR?

16. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    **ROLLS EYES**

17. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yes, and no. He would have destroyed more of their ships and taken more of their territory, but Rukh probably would have killed him in the end.

Hi, I'm back. I'm at school right now, but in about two hours I'll have another update of the Shield guide. :D

18. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    The In's and Out's of Shield Generators and Projectors (v6.0):

1.) Shield Operation:

i. Power from the power core enters the generators. There, it is converted into power that can be used by the projectors, and the power output is increased, by some large amount. There have been several documented cases of shield residue going higher than 7.5%, some as high as 15%, but it is very uncommon.

ii. "Purified" energy is routed from the generators into the projectors, where they turn the energy into "Shield Energy" which makes the shield. The projectors then "project" the energy around the ship, protecting it from a reasonable amount of attack.

2.) In the event of a catastrophic failure of the Generators:

i. Projector capacitors will allow a safe power-down until another source is found. Although it is very uncommon, small amounts of shield power residue may be left from the capacitors, allowing a 7.5% or less shield to exist for a short time.

ii. Engineers are to attempt a re-route of crude power from the core to reestablish a shield. Since this is "crude power" the shields suffer an immense power loss, and only function at around 25% of full power, although, power levels in excess of 25% have been attained before.

3.) Particle and Ray Shielding:

Particle Shielding- Particle shielding prevents all physical objects from passing through it. Particle shielding is to left on at ALL times, to protect the ship from micro-meteorites.

Ray Shielding- Ray Shielding prevents all types of energy from passing through it. Ion Cannons can penetrate a Ray Shield and can only be stopped if the shield is configured to stop one, although then laser cannons can penetrate the shield. Ray Shielding is to be activated ONLY during battle, due to the large power drain of Ray Shields.

4.) Dangerous Warheads:

There are many different types of warheads, several different types of Concussion Missiles and Proton Torpedoes, different types of heavy rockets and bombs, T-33s a very dangerous warhead that can be carried by fighters, three of them can disable a Star Destroyers shields.Another type of warhead is a "mag pulse" warhead, which can penetrate ray and particle shields, but only disables electronics for up to one minute. Mag pulses can be carried by fighters, so are highly dangerous There are also many kinds of "multi-megaton" warheads that only capital ships carry.

Proton Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles are a great threat to any ship. They are not affected by ray shields and it is rumored that there is an advanced type of concussion missile that is not affected by ray nor particle shields. There is also an advanced type Proton Torpedo, which yields a much higher power output then its predecessors, it is unknown if they have the same particle shield displacers that the rumored concussion missiles may have. Gunners and Pilots are to destroy ANY warhead, even if it means losing a target.

5.) Laser Fire:
    While ray shielding does eliminate most threats from laser fire, laser still pose a threat if persistent fighters decided to attack constantly, and overwhelm the projectors. Laser fire will only incur a 1-5% reduction in shield integrity every 40 seconds per two to three fighters therefore, it is not a priority threat, but is still a problem that can cause significant damage to a ship.

6.) Anomalous threats to shields:
    i. Modulating Laser Frequency-
    If an enemy captial ship knows the specific frequency of a ship's ray shields, they can modulate their lasers and turbolasers to that frequency, letting the blasts through the shields.

ii. Various Bombers-

i. Starwing Assault Missle Boats, which have an 80 warhead and SLAM overdirives, which can triple their engine output for short periods of time. They are very dangerous to ANY ship, but are fairly rare.

ii. K-Wing bombers are also very dangerous to any ship. They have heavy payloads, which include several T-33 heavy plasma bombs, which is the strongest and most powerful bomb a fighter carries. Three T-33s can knock out portions of a

19. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    So, should I print her? Send her off to Gamer, or does she need some more work?

20. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Don't you have to be a publiushed writer,to have article printed in Gamer?

21. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Not as far as I know, but, how do you know if I've published anything before?

22. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I don't.I just assumed.Have you had any sci fi/fantasy story published in a magazine,or something like that?

23. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    No, I not published per se. Writing a novel right now, but no, I haven't had anything I've written published.

24. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    what's your novel about?

25. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Don't ask. I've been writing it with a friend for about a year now. I can't believe it's been that long. We actually started writing it six months ago, I think. Before, we were working on an outline and characters, and what not. It's an SW book. We didn't think Del Ray or Lucasbooks would want us, so, we just started writing. It's about another "extra-galactic" race, but we came up with that idea about three years ago. When we heard about the Vong, we were like, "You stole our idea!," it's sort of a running joke now. Good times. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.