main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How powerful are Imperial star destroyers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Peacekeeper, Feb 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Interesting, Seti.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    One more thing ghengis refered to the official sources: the advanced cuncussion missles with penetrating ability, and advanced proton torpedo with ability to scatter a ray and matter shielding. Other sources talk about firing weapons in one spot until the ray and matter shields give up and have a cascade overload.

So those are the two ways to get through a shield, It's just a thought, since it's story related I choose to follow it. You have the right to over analyze the movies, but hey be my guest, even though I think the movies are full of innacurracies and contradictions. But to each their own oppionions. You know what they say about oppinion, "Oppionions are like butts, Everyone's got one, but they don't think their's stinks".

3. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yeah, I think I remember something about advanced concussion missles, but I doubt that the Rebellion would have them at the time of RotJ.

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's 'opinions', Valiento. ;)

And yeah, you're right..everybody has one.

5. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Actually they do, as I have shown the official word up is that lucas has his hand in the continuaty affairs at lucasfilms subsidiary lucasarts because it's his direct company, laugh your but off but the games are part of the EU at the same strength as novels, some may argue the movies. In the games you get advanced missles and advanced torps. All 4 games in the series are set concurrently with the movies. Of course the millenium falcon has Arykyds which according to official sources are equal to a regular proton torpedo(essential guide to weapons and technology, these are stronger than the advanced cuncusion missles and require at least a freighter to mount), falcon was able to fire 4 at the same time, which blew the reactor.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Actually, the Falcon fired 2 missiles. You can hear the launches, and see the missiles as they go in. Just two big red blobs.

7. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Falcon= 2 Concussion Missles

Wedge= 2 Proton Torpedos

8. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Even if the huge bulbuos structures above the bridge towers were shield-generators they would have to be down to let those X-Wing smash them.
    Those i.... from WEG have exactly made the same mistake that most of the other people who watched those scenes made: Connecting a report to Piett with a scene from before.

As hard as this may sound Valiento "official" doesn´t equal "Canon". Never has and never will.

As far as i know the work done by Curtis Saxton and Robert Brown becomes more and more acknowlegded by those responsible for official StarWars.

And i will celebrate the day with a bottle of champagne when the TC will become "Official" or even "Canon" (Don´t take this to serios, i don´t drink alkohol).

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, so the falcon must of wasted it's supply outside in the previos battle right?

the guide only says it has a capabilty of fireing 4 at the same time, It's been awile since I saw the movies and assumed he fired all 4 at the same time.

So that means that wedge fire 2 causing a weakness in the reactor, he overexerated saying he wasn't even scratching it, lando fired 2 causing the destruction.

of course arykyds have puncturing cability so that has to be added to the equation.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Quote:

'falcon was able to launch 4 at the same time, which blew the reactor.'

We just got confused. :)

Quite true, Fteik. Heck, both of 'em have mentions in the Visual Dictionaries..and Brown's Falcon deckplan was used in one of the AoC books.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "And i will celebrate the day with a bottle of champagne when the TC will become "Official" or even "Canon" (Don´t take this to serios, i don´t drink alkohol)."

You will never see the day. Lucas won't allow it. While saxton gets sited from time to time it's little things like the falcon. If you do see the day, I will buy you a bottle of champagne(since you don't drink I guess I don't have to actually.) :D

"As hard as this may sound Valiento "official" doesn´t equal "Canon". Never has and never will."

Dave land and allan kauches confusion of terminology in the recent tale's intro comic could have fulled me, according to them everything except tales is canon. rumor has it that if the after the prequels if the the EU hasn't beed shaken and destroyed by lucas, of course this won't be the game EU since well, lucas had his hand in it, they may become canon.

Right now all of eu is only official though. but a fansite will never be official or canon.

12. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    The Falcon and Wedge destroyed the power regulators of the core. Without them, all of it's power, the energy is relased, which is what caused its destruction.

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    yes, quite I that was What I meant, I just couldn't remember what those side struts were called, thanks. I will try to remember power regulator from now on.

14. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Thanks, Seti.

15. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    You're welcome, you're welcome. (Bowing) :D

16. yoddles

yoddles Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2000
    those big balls on the towers are for shields i dont care who argues about that, besides in ROTJ the A-Wing is flying attacking one with missiles and lasers and it blows up and it pans into the Bridge of the vaders flagship and the control officer says:sir we've lost our bridge deflector shields! isnt this a proven fact because of this?

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Um, no.

Read the Jedi novelization; the Executor was being heavily bombarded before the shields went down.
    Besides, if the globes are shield generators, how could lowly concussion missiles get through the place where the shields are strongest?

18. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    If they are, they're defective. They allowed several missle to pass through them and destroy them. Let's not forget that the top of the bridge is, possiblly, the WORST place to put their shield generators.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    technically if they had ray shielding the a-wings shots wouldn't mean a darn thing, it would have been a waste of shots to fire on it. since the shots meant something that has to be taken into account.

20. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    Yes, that's true, but they also have "Particle Shields" which deflect physical objects, like missle. These shields are always kept on, to deflect micro-metorites and what not.

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "if the globes are shield generators, how could lowly concussion missiles get through the place where the shields are strongest?"

advanced cuncussion missles with shield with ray and particle penetrating displacement ability, ghengis mentioned them from his quotes out of weg material.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Read Seti's post, Valiento. I think we have a new ToP here. ;)

23. DarthSeti5

Jan 6, 2001
    The advanced missles weren't yet created in RotJ.

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    As I mentioned the rebel scientists created something that could penetrat and displace particle shielding, it's mentioned in the WEG source material, as ghengis has mentioned, possibly on another topic. They were invented before rotj, about the time of ESB, maarek stele stole some of the technology to be utilized by the empire.

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Something from from the EGTW&T:

Concussion missiles apparently generate an turbolaser-like energy field around themselves in flight. Shouldn't this have been stopped cold by the ray shielding?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.