main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How powerful could Vader had been?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by TheChoosen095, Mar 29, 2014.

1. TheChoosen095

TheChoosen095 Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2014
    I have heard tha every time a limb i cutted from a sith or jedi his power decreases so if Vader had all of the 4 cutted that means his power decreased a lot but. How powerful could he really had been if he wouldnt have had that incident on Mustafar and his hand cutted by Dooku? would he had been the most powerful jedi/sith ever?

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    From what I understand, Vader was only 30% as strong as he could've been once he was sliced and burnt on Mustafar. And he did lose all four limbs, he lost his right arm on Geonosis in Attack of the Clones. Obi just finished the job by whacking off the remaining three organic limbs.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Probably could have been the most powerful person the world

That is till Obi-Wan cut him

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I seem to recall GL saying that Anakin/Vader would have become twice as powerful as Sidious given time. But as he lost his limbs and such he was diminished and was only 80% of Palpatine's power level. Something like that.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    What never made sense was how would losing your limbs affect your power? Vader could still use the Force, right? He could've still been as strong as ever (except, of course, with lightening) Is it all a part of that midichlorian thing?

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Losing limbs and being burned within, the overall trama of losing Padme and his children; both physical and mental strain brought him down.

7. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    It's more like, the Force is generated by living tissue. Cybernetics may be FELT, certainly, but they don't exude the Force, if that's the term to use. Since he has no organic limbs, and what flesh remains is charred and half-dead, that really hampers his ability to access the Force, despite his incredible connection to it.

8. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Granted Anakin was still very young in ROTS, but he never showed the discipline necessary to reach his full potential even if he hadn't been injured. He may have become the most powerful Jedi/Sith ever anyway based on sheer natural ability, but his discipline was lacking. Luke, on the other hand, grew up a lot between ESB and ROTJ. Anakin did not. All of the most powerful Jedi/Sith in the Saga (except Anakin) had tremendous discipline.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

You thought so? I didn't. Luke's "tremendous discipline" didn't seem anymore effective in ROTJ than Anakin's discipline in AOTC and especially ROTS.

To me, Luke was lucky in the OT, not disciplined. I thought he had the good luck to face a Palpatine who had become complacent and arrogant over the years.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke did lose control, but unlike his father, he could see the forest through the trees. That's not luck. That's a combination of discipline and his upbringing giving him a different moral view.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Life creates the Force, and makes it grow. Cybernetic limbs are not alive. Hence, a cyborg has less Force.

12. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to Saga from CT

13. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Another reason why Palpatine wanted Luke so badly- he could be the apprentice Vader was supposed to be but never could.

14. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Hmm. The calculating Vader of the OT would've been indeed formidable with the physical prowess of ROTS Vader. But the question is, did he need to go through all the suffering that he did in order to reach that state of mind, or would he eventually have matured that way regardless?

15. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    I think Luke showed a lot more maturity in ROTJ than Anakin ever did in the PT. I'm not saying Luke was necessarily more powerful than PT Anakin, but he was a lot more level-headed, in my opinion. If I had to count on someone to get something done and not screw it up, assuming the ability was there, I would definitely go with Luke over Anakin. Anakin may have had a lot of talent and I will also give him props for courage, but I definitely wouldn't trust him to do anything important that depended more on wisdom and sound judgment than pure combat.

Anakin reasons like a kid. He wants what he wants right now and doesn't care what it may cost him in the future.

16. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

He wasn't alone. A lot of the characters reasoned or rationalized in immature and one-dimensional ways. In both sagas.

Luke's story was finished in ROTJ. Anakin's story wasn't finished in ROTS. Why do you find that amazing? Is this some round of putting Luke on a pedestal and at the same time, bashing Anakin . . . in order to indulge in some black-and-white morality and feel good about ourselves?

And again, what is with this obsession with brute strength among Force users?

17. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Not like Anakin.

1. Luke's about the same age in ROTJ as Anakin in ROTS.

2. They're fictional characters. I'm not going to get all that pumped up over them, good or bad. But I would much rather have a person of Luke's mentality handling a routine Jedi mission than I would Anakin.

Because folks with a lot of natural talent can accomplish things solely on their ability that others cannot. It doesn't mean they're mentally stronger, just more gifted. There are a lot of athletes in the NFL and NBA who lack strong character qualities. Many are where they are because they're 6'6'' 250 lbs. with freakish strength, quickness and leaping ability. There are many players in the upcoming NFL draft with better intangibles than Jadeveon Clowney, but he will be selected ahead of them because his measureables are far superior and he can simply do things that others physically cannot.

Anakin's kinda like that. He's more powerful than just about any Jedi, but it's because of his natural gifts - not his intangibles. Anakin's intangibles are highly questionable. I would have a lot more faith in Luke from a character standpoint.

18. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    As Vader said to Padme before he dueled Kenobi, "I am more powerful than the Chancellor; I can overthrow him."
    That was true. Anakin was at that power level, he was the chosen one, extremely powerful in the force. However, with the loss of all four limbs, being burnt alive and having to rely on a breathing life support system, he lost devastating amount of power. Vader could have been unstoppable all on his own.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Jedi don't really care. It's the Sith that do. They want the strongest and most powerful members so that they can take out multiple Jedi and rule through a strong lineage of Masters and Apprentices.

20. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Meaning . . . what? There is something special about Anakin's flaws or villainy? Or are you angry that he failed to live up to the Jedi's ideal or role as "the Chosen One"?

And could someone explain how Anakin became more powerful after losing an arm in AOTC, yet was supposed to become less powerful after losing his other arm and two legs in ROTS? Sounds like Lucas was contradicting himself.

I was wondering why there have been so many posts about which Force user is the most powerful or best lightsaber duellist.

minnishe likes this.
  21. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    1. Again, they are fictional characters. I don't get "angry" about anything to do with Star Wars.

2. And yes, there is something special about Anakin's flaws. His selfishness, impulsiveness, lack of discipline, and stupidity prevented him from fully realizing his awesome force potential and being the Jedi he could have been, which relates to the topic of this thread. Luke, on the other hand, did not fail to live up to his potential nor did he fail in the character department. And Luke had a lot of pressure and tragedy in his life too that could have led him to the Dark Side. I just think Luke had a better head on his shoulders.

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    He grew in power because he wasn't even close to reaching his potential in AOTC. So losing his arm was more a knock on his potential, than his actual realized power.

Darth Dominikkus likes this.
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    If Midi-chlorian count does indeed relate to power -

Anakin had ~20,000 per cell. George said that he would have been 150% as strong as Palpatine had he not been maimed on Mustafar, but due to just that happening, Vader was only about 80% as strong as Palpatine

Calculating Palpatine's Midi-chlorian count from this data, we can determine that Palpatine had approximately 13,500 Midi-chlorians per cell, 80% of which is around a little under 11,000

So, provided my math wasn't an epic fail, Vader ended up at about 55% of his true potential

Alienware and Darth Dominikkus like this.
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Anain was indeed stupid. During the Opera in ROTS the only thign missing was Palaptine's evil villain laughter. "Ironic. he coudl save others from death, but no himself. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!'

25. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    Seagoat likes this.