main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Mar 30, 2014.

?

How powerful in the Force should Luke be in the ST?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2016.
  1. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser about the ways of the Force

2.3%
  2. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and slightly wiser and with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  3. Slightly more powerful than he was in ROTJ and just as wise as Yoda

3.1%
  4. Just below the most powerful in combat (equal to Mace maybe) and just below the top in wisdom

7.7%
  5. Just below the most powerful in combat but just as wise as they are or with more/new Force abilities

6.2%
  6. As powerful in combat as Yoda or Palpatine but not as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  7. As powerful in combat as Yoda and Palpatine and also as wise as they are about the ways of the Force

10.8%
  8. More powerful than Yoda or Palpatine in combat and wiser and/or with more Force abilities

9.2%
  9. As powerful as the Chosen One if Anakin had reached his full potential

26.9%
  10. More powerful than the Chosen One at his full potential or any Jedi/Sith ever

16.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Some interesting choices in that poll, I went for more powerful than Yoda or Palpatine. Placing him beyond Anakin is close to godhead and deux ex machina. While I understand it completely, if this is Luke's power level I hope it is done in a way that not only works for the character, but the story as well.

2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Father is the most powerful Force user ever; more than Yoda or Sidious. Luke cannot be on that level. Only Anakin can.

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Luke can't? Why not?

Son of Chosen One. Maybe that power is passed onto him?

4. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Luke is not Neo.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I highly doubt it.

6. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Because?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Actually Luke as Neo sounds cool to me. I'd rather see him as a transcendent being than just the standard older mentor type. Not that those are the only two choices, but nonetheless, I like the idea of the ST having a bit of an out there metaphysical aspect to it, so I'm definitely open to a very different type of Luke.

Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  8. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    The problem with that is that it turns it into a comic book, and we have enough of those movies in theaters lately. I don't want SuperLuke.

9. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    I want to see Luke pick up two star destroyers and bang them together with an "I'm squishing your head" motion of his fingers.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Well at it's core I think Star Wars is always going to resemble a comic book in some ways. But even so I'm not thinking of a strict super hero beat-'em-up type of power, but rather something that transcends the normal space and time humanity we've seen in Star Wars thus far. A God Emperor of Dune idea was kicked around here a few weeks back, which I thought could be a cool direction. Maybe something like from the Thomas Covenant novels as well, where all the magic and power being thrown about was a way of exploring what I saw as a deeply personal truth of self story.

Trebor Sabreon and Dra--- like this.
  11. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    I think what ultimately makes Superman (outside of the obvious kryptonite) <=> Luke is their one biggest shared weakness; their compassion. This is why Lex is such a great bad guy for Superman-he has none-but knows that the Farm Boy(s) have tons of it and uses it constantly against Superman. I can see a God-like Luke held back by his love for his friends, family-child perhaps?-and sentient beings in the galaxy. You can't compare Neo to Luke because Neo's character-I think-isn't as purely 'good' as Luke is...this is why Superman and Luke are two of my all time favorites... if I had such power Im sooo abusing it, I'd take over the world in a few days and make it a Global Dictatorship if I had Superman's Powers. What makes Superman and Luke such great heroes is their incredible innate goodness and empathy.

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Except Lucas already said Luke has the same potential as Anakin before the BBQ.

13. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Both Vader and The Emperor feared that Luke might destroy them.

In other words, Luke was pretty f'n strong.

Yoda is Phil Jackson, Luke is Michael Jordan.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think he should be very powerful just below sidious.

15. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe for some people this debate comes down to a preference for Luke or Anakin as the key figure or hero of the Saga.

I've said in other threads I'm more of a Luke fan and would like to see the ST emphasize his importance. One way I'd like to see this happen is to see him fulfill power wise the potential of the Chosen One. And I'd like this power to problematize his decision making. So it would be less about displays of power than decisions of power.

16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    Here's my quick take on the topic:
    Luke Skywalker who by VI, became wise beyond his years who even seemed more wise than Yoda/Kenobi (especially concerning Vader), with barely any training he defeated Vader (even before his rage, it seemed like he was getting the upper hand all while not wanting to kill/or harm is dad. [face_love] ). It seems to me that VI showed Luke on his way (first step) of achieving what his father never could which is to reach the full potential of the Chosen One (makes me wonder if the full potential is something like the Father in Mortiss???). I think a lot of what happens in between between VI and VII will be caused by both Luke's actions and inactions (maybe not doing anything, self-exile) and he might have problems with his ever growing powers that he has a hard time controlling, maybe his lack of control made him do horrible things in the past, which will make him even more conflicted??? more afraid of using his Uber (stealing the codename of the villain:p) powers. It does seem that Luke's powers will still play a role in VII as it seems he still has his compassionate side as he supposedly defeats and maimes Kylo Ren but does not kill him and with this act of "mercy" Luke is endangering the Galaxy going into VIII-IX. [face_tired]I-) Wow that was long, a bit too long for my liking, there is still a lot more to be said but that will be it for today.;)

Dra--- and nightangel like this.
  17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    so you are saying he is 'Uber', maybe the supposed villain with this name is not really a villain. :p

starocean90 likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Uber is supposed to be a zombie-like character (rumored to be Serkis), which I don't see Hamill playing.[face_not_talking]
    I just used the word because of it's meaning.:);)

19. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I know, but 'Uber' would fit for Luke's supposed powers as well, so maybe we have 2 'Uber' in the movie. :cool:

Dra--- and starocean90 like this.
  20. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    Taking a cue from Serkis's narration::p
    One for:
    "the Darkside... and the Light";)

21. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't GL quoted as saying that in his Star Wars universe Luke becomes the most powerful Jedi ever? I can't see why Abrams and Kasdan wouldn't want to run with that.

Pro Scoundrel , T-R-, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Luke has always been most interesting when highly conflicted over a moral choice. Save his friends or ruin Yoda's plans? Kill his father or love his father?

I like the idea that bad things happen when Luke uses his powers. Maybe when you have the power of the Chosen One or Father, and you use it, it takes your humanity or human POV away. You begin to see like a God rather than a human.

So in that scenario, Luke at most could be a mentor, but not a warrior. And he would be highly conflicted if he wanted to use his powers.

23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    FTFY :p

I like the idea of a conflicted Luke, but not that he's so powerful it saps his humanity & POV... that seems like it's just distancing him from the people, the galaxy, just like the Jedi Order of old.

24. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, you mean exactly what Lucas said the ST would be about? Moral choices, Jedi Knighthood, distinguishing right from wrong, and passing on what you have learned.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke's power in the ST?

[​IMG]

Force Smuggler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.