main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How powerful is Palp/DS/Emp anyway?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthFx3, Dec 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    I totaly disagree that "the Emperor does not possess any real powers". He had three powerful Siths (and maybe more) obeying him! And I've said again how clear it is in the films that Vader FEARED him. I think it's pretty obvious how much powerful he was!!!

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, I can't see how anybody could say Palpatine is not powerful or only a little powerful considering he managed to stay hidden from 9000+ Jedi in the PT, including, btw, Master Yoda.

You also have to look at Darth Maul, who's practically a lightsaber wizard (and lost only because he got too arrogant and concentrated on killing Qui-Gon first instead of Obi-Wan 8-}). Palpatine wouldn't have trained Maul to become more powerful than him (what with the Rule of Two and all).

So yeah, I would say Palpatine is pretty powerful.

-Aunecah

3. Jainalover

Jainalover Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I did not mean to imply he had no other powers. But his main strength IS through mass manipulation. Of course he enforces his rule when he deems it prudent by displaying his more tangible abilities, i.e. force lightning. But my interpretation of the topic question is that his main power is not force lightning and other dark side powers (blocking all those jedi in the prequels). It is his ability to plan ahead and use others for his purposes. That is his greatest power in my opinion, my friends. :)

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    His manipulation is more of a personal skill than a true power. This can be enhanced through the ability to see differant paths in the 'always in motion' future and manipulating events to make those paths take place.

His downfall of course, was his own arrogance.

That and Palpatine obviously didn't have The Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever became An Evil Overlord list.

5. DarthFx3

DarthFx3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Hey guys sorry I have been MIA, work has been nuts.

JainaLover: absolutely you don't need lightning or telekinisess to be emporer. hold your ground.

Lord_Makro: How is it obvious ANY sith feared him. How DM cowered at his feet... oh wait that didn't happen. The way he bullied DT into ... no wait. I know that time where He ordered DV to stay on the command ship.. and..he..
    Maybe they follow him becouse he has vision where they have raw power, that he strokes their ego while others push them down.

Aunecah_Skywalker: "except the hutts aren't looking for her which gives us the advantage." and lets say Yoda knew in AOTC what is he going to do? Nothing, he can't Palp manuvered things so that he is mostly untouchable. Most of the Jedi were probably unaware that the sith were out there. OB1 didn't seem to be spending free time looking for the missing sith lord. Also if you don't know who you are looking for they could be standing in front of you or on the other side of the planet and it wouldn't matter as far as finding them goes.
    The best I ever did in fencing was bronze at state. My protege who hasn't learned every thing I know yet is a state champion. I haven't tought him how to beat me, but he can. If your student is a natural he/she can get so good so fast, the teachers intentions make little difference.

VadersLaMent: I agree completely. Thanks for posting that I had lost my list long ago.

6. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>>My impretion is DV isn't 2nd in charge but rather he is completely out of the chain of command all together.

I really don't think that's the case.
    "You don't know the power of the Dark Side. i must obey my master."

>>>>This realy didn't take off the way I'd hoped. Why would he need strong powers to do what he did?

I think the real skill of Palpatine's is in how he has this power but has restrained from using it.

The way I've always envisioned things panning out is that the Jedi will eventually figure out Palpatine's true nature, and will confront him and fail. (Remember Yoda's warning to Luke- don't underestimate the Emperor's power.) By this time, he will have set things up so that there will be nobody left to stop him- the military might of the Republic by this stage has been divided into everyone who could possibly stand against Palpatine and his empire (ie. the Seperatists) and a military force enitrely under Palpatine's control (ie. Stormtroopers etc.)

Basically, I'm predicting a show of power in Episode III- someone confronting him and getting a serious whipping. (My money's on Yoda.)

7. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    Thank you for your endorsement of my ideas on this thread, Darth Fx3. The powers of the Emperor are dramatised as different or at least unique when compared to the other sith we have seen throughout the five films of the saga. Sure we will see him wield a lightsaber and use force lightning (again) in the new movie. But his real power is that he uses the Dark Side to plan and predict future events that encompasses the whole galaxy and almost everyone he comes into contact with. Therin lies his power. This could be what Yoda meant when he told Luke to beware the powers of the Emperor. This ability is what makes him far more dangerous than any of his apprentices ever were.

8. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    Scott3eyez
    well shure as far as sith go DV is second, I was talking about the political empire. DV has no apparent government standing. Yes, DV did say he must obay, but we never realy see him do anything he doesn't already want to. Now I'm not saying he is OB1 and lies to Luke all the time, but there could be a veriety of reasons for DV to say that to Luke.
    I agree with the planning and manipulations, but for me if Palp can woop up physicly that diminishes him. Like in Die Hard what makes Hanz evil is his intellect, if he went toe-to-toe with John that would ruin his charecter. does that make more sense? I think Yoda was warning Luke to look beyond the physical threat and to the spiritual one the Emp presented.

Jainalover
    Once again briliant. Maybe some day some one will give us a run on this one.

My personal favorite thing Emp does is after something happens telling people how He had forseen it. It would be more impresive if he said he forsaw something befor it happened.

9. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    Its interesting how the ep3 board is alight with palp is this and palp is that, but noone seems to have any reason for believing it other than they want it so bad. Of course they would probably like it if he had light saber claws and fought all matrix style.

10. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Does it matter if Palpatine is strong or not? He became and stayed Emperor because he was a ruthless political genius. Look at any real life dictator. People didn't fear Hitler or Stalin because they were super-strong, they feared them because they could get a dozen other people to fight for them. Palpatine is a master of manipulation and deceit. He has enough force skills to defend himself (i.e. force lightning) and that's all he needs in terms of physical power.

11. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    MetalGoldKnight
    Exactly my point. It seems like a no brainer to me but yet so many people post about how in ep3 he is going to be this unstopable physical killing machine, when in 5 movies we have seen no evidence to support it. I would love it if one of Palps fan boys could give me something substantial to back up their predictions. For so many people just being an evil genious isn't good enough.

12. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Sorry for dragging up and old thread, but...

Palpatine is stronger than any of his three on-screen apprentices.

We know this because Lucas has repeatedly said that the way of the Sith is for the Apprentice to kill the master when the Apprentice becomes more powerful than the Master.

Maul never did, Tyrannus never did, and Vader tried to enlist Lukes help to do it. Even IF Vader didn't want to be Emperor, he clearly wanted Lukes help to kill the Emperor to become the Master, with his son as apprentice. He obviously couldn't have taken Palpatine on in a one-on-one battle {"I MUST obey my master"}, and he was the Chosen One with a higher midichlorian count and therefore more Force potential than Master Yoda.

Palpatine has show remote sensing {I have forseen it, he knew the Rebels were on the Sanctuary Moon}, extremely delicate telekenisis {When he removed the handcuffs from Luke}, Force lightning, and there are rumors he sees a little more direct combat in Episode III.

Safe to say, he is extremely, extremely powerful.

13. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    If you allowed yourself to get spoiled for Ep3, then like us, you'd know that Palp/DS/Emp will show us more of his powers in this movie.

14. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    DM was never given much of a chance. He was young and hadn't had that many solo missions, let alone enough experience to feel comfortable taking on his master. With DT I think at the very least he is waiting for DS to firmly establish his political power. As I've stated befor I don't think DV wants to be the emp. I think he is trying to force Luke to kill DS so that DV will be the Sith Master but Luke will join the dark side and become emp. One important point is that DS becomes Emp not becouse of powerful offensive force powers, but through suttle political manipulations. It is an ability that is unique to him among the sith in the movies. DM barely talks, DT is clearly coached, and DV's idea of subtlety is choking people. My take on it is these three would rather be the second most powerful in ALL things in the galaxy (politics, force, money, posetions, exc...), than to mearly be the no.1 sith.

Emp only says he has forseen something after he finds out from another source. Makes me wonder...hhmmmm...

I do read the spoilers, but if you look back at ep1 and 2 you can see how reliable these often turn out to be. What I do belive in is LFL Misinformation Troopers TM. These blast points are to precise for leaks, only LFL Misinformation Troopers are so precise.

In all fairness I would like to see DS be the total package, but I have seen no evidense of this, yet.

15. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Vader is stronger in the force. Palpatine/Sidious is also very strong in the force AND has wisdom AND is a master manipulator AND has infinite patience - all of which make him much more dangerous. He's like Bernard Hopkins, the middle weight champion - not the most athletic, strongest, or fastest - but the smartest, most disciplined, and canniest of maybe any boxer ever. He breaks his opponents down systematically ( punches to the elbows, hips, deltoids ) and in the later rounds, when you cant lift your arms anymore, he destroys you. Same thing with Palpatine - broke Anakin down fundamently, destroyed the essence of the good man, and rebuilt an evil machine. He seems to be the most powerful because by the time of RotJ he's an uncontested power. Wait until Ep3 - I believe there will be key scenes that depict what Im saying, and you will see that he's not all-powerful - until Vader is his.

16. Jainalover

Jan 17, 2004
    The Emperor delights in using his apprentice against other potential followers as a means to test their abilities in the Force.
    This will happen in E-3 in the confrontation between Count Dooku and Anakin.
    It has already been dramatised in Empire and Jedi.
    Only when his apprentice is dead or incapcitated will he reveal his powers and take matters into his own hands.
    His power in the Force is force lightning and of course he must have excellent mastery of the lightsabre.

However the fact he sits and broods and plans events that will take place over a number of decades remains his greatest and most dangerous skill.

17. DarthFx3

Dec 3, 2003
    severian28
    Love the analigy, but then I would. Anyway You should post that on one of the fow will palp fight boards, I like that alot.
    I also like the DS becomes all powerful once DV is with him. I never thought about it befor but from my own life I know that its the right apprentise that brings out the best in the master. I'm going to get back to this idea. I realy want to explore it. Brillient.

Jainalover
    I totaly agree. Although one thing about fis skills with a lightsaber. He could be very good, he could be better than Maul, Tyranis, and Vader, but more realisticly he isn't. As good as I am or was my first apprentis is a far better swordsman than I. I'm the one who taught him everything he knows, he is just very talented with a sword. Evander Hollyfeild's coach has never boxed a round, but yet trained on of the best boxers ever. So it is possible to teach someone to do something better than you can do it. I like the term "broods" , thats an excelent way to look at it.

What do you think of the Vader compleating Sidius's power?

18. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Im happy I could make the analogy, being a huge boxing fan. Hopkins is one of my favorite boxers and Palpatine is one of my favorite characters in SW so thank you for allowing me the opportunity to compare the two.

19. Psychotic_Sith

Psychotic_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2004
    DM was never given much of a chance. He was young and hadn't had that many solo missions, let alone enough experience to feel comfortable taking on his master. With DT I think at the very least he is waiting for DS to firmly establish his political power. As I've stated befor I don't think DV wants to be the emp. I think he is trying to force Luke to kill DS so that DV will be the Sith Master but Luke will join the dark side and become emp. One important point is that DS becomes Emp not becouse of powerful offensive force powers, but through suttle political manipulations. It is an ability that is unique to him among the sith in the movies. DM barely talks, DT is clearly coached, and DV's idea of subtlety is choking people. My take on it is these three would rather be the second most powerful in ALL things in the galaxy (politics, force, money, posetions, exc...), than to mearly be the no.1 sith.

Makes NO sense. If Luke turned to the Dark Side and slew Palpatine, then he would become the Sith Master, not Vader. And Vader wouldn't necessarily become the Emperor upon Palpatines death; it seems to me that's what Tarkin and later Jerjerrod were there for. And, even if he WAS next in line to become Emperor, it's not like he'd have to accept the throne.

Which is a moot point anyway, because if he just wanted to be the Sith Master, he'd just kill Palpatine and give the throne to his son. Unless, he COULDN'T kill Palpatine...

Besides, I think RotJ CLEARLY demonstrates he is extremely powerful in the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.