main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How Powerful was FULL potential Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    I always see these What If Youtube channels talk about how the canon would be slightly different had Anakin reached his full potential. What's head scratching about most of them is they mention Anakin now being a powerful jedi or sith(depending on what direction he went) and how the universe/galaxy events play out somewhat similarly but with Anakin as a jedi master or as becoming the new Emperor at some point.

They seem to casually brush off the most dramatic thing about Anakin which is at Full potential he's basically a FORCE GOD. The Mortis Arc(which is canon) basically shows Anakin commit the greatest force feat ever seen which is subdue the Son and Daughter with pure force power. Had he reached full potential Anakin would have crushed the Emperor like a fly. He would have been an unstoppable god in the galaxy. I see NO one able to get in his way. If he followed the light path he would be the youngest grand master of the order, he would rearrange the jedi order and possibly bring a totally new reign of jedi peace/prosperity. If he went evil and decides to crown himself Emperor Skywalker not even the combined forces of Mace, Obi, Yoda or Luke would do anything to stop him. At some point he his going to corrupt the midi-chlorines(create life) and discover the way of immortality that Plagues was searching for... I see an Anakin at Full potential as basically the biggest force changing element that could have happened in the mythos.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    We could never know, but I seriously doubt he would be a ''god'' ... Lucas said that at best he would be twice as good as Palpatine, so there is a limit to his potential, it's not limitless.

Also consider that ''twice as good as Palpatine'' thing as his best, he couldn't be that good due to lack of proper training and his mental issues...

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Basically, we'll see it with Luke in the ST.

4. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

Except Palps/Plagues would/could tweak midi-chrloines and were already near god level power when you consider their feats. Anakin with "twice" that potential is doing things we cannot fathom.

Not to mention the Mortis arc where The Father who basically is a Force God(lightsabers are toys to him) tells Anakin he is the chosen one who will take his place. He rejects but I doubt he would offer in the first place had he not displayed the power to subdue the Son and Daughter with force power alone. Which I still consider the greatest in canon feat of any force user.

Is he really? He was not the Chosen One of Mortis nor was he literally a being born of the force like Anakin. I know Lucas has made some comments that EU Grand Master Luke was equal to full potential Anakin which would make sense since he was basically greatest force user of all time but now that EU luke is basically legends I dont think whatever JJ and company cook up is essentially what Lucas had in mind for Anakin. It wouldn't be his take on it in the same way Lucas supervision of Legends Luke was.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What Anakin did on Mortis was due to his being on a planet that was an incredible wellspring of the Force. As to Luke, he is the son of Anakin and both he and Leia and by extension Ben, have the same potential that their father had. Lucas wasn't talking about the EU, he was talking about the films. Lucas stated that Luke can be what Anakin would have been, which is why they were hidden and why Vader wanted to turn Luke and why Palpatine decided to go along with that.

6. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

So you're saying ANYBODY could do what Anakin did on Mortis to the Son and Daughter because it was on Mortis? Seems like you missed the point of the episode my friend. Being on Mortis brought out Anakin's full potential(ie as powerful as The Father) as the Chosen One.

And Lucas said Luke was what Anakin was supposed to be but he said that YEARS ago... unless you're assuming he meant ROTJ Luke is where Anakin was at full potential than I'm assuming Lucas meant Luke was at his prime in the years following the events of ROTJ where he reached master status and explored in the now Legends books/comics etc which he personally signed off on.

You have no canon that shows Ben is where Anakin was meant to be so that's not a valid comparison. Since Lucas is not overseeing the ST at all I wont say that the Luke that shows up in that is what Lucas intended a full potential to be at.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No, I'm saying that Luke and Leia could do it as well.

The latter, but it would still apply to the new EU and the films. Lucas wasn't talking about the EU when he said that. He was explaining why the Sith want Luke.

They're not disregarding what Lucas said and as such, the bloodline of Anakin Skywalker continues into Ben Solo. Thus he would be as powerful as his grandfather, which is why Snoke wanted to turn him and not relied on someone else. In TFA, Ben has not finished his training. In Episode VIII, he might be finished with his training.

8. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Anakin would be kinda the god of the universe. Strongest being in the Saga.

[​IMG]

Master_Rebado, AniLukeRey and Seagoat like this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    NICE artwork!

Interestingly, Palpatine believed that, as Vader, Anakin could have been just as strong as even if he weren't a limbless bbq. It was only a mental thing that held him back

But as sinister said, Luke and Leia have the same potential Anakin did, and as Ben Solo/Kylo Ren is Leia's son, it's likely he does too

And as I'm in the Rey Skwalker camp, I'm gonna say she does too. If she's not Luke's daughter, I'll film myself eating surströmming

10. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Even without the mental block, by the time of "The Siege Of Lothal", where Vader lifts up an Imperial walker, he's still nowhere near what Palpatine was capable of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can even see it when he fought Ahsoka.

[​IMG]

11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    If we speak about his abilities as Force user, I think he reached his potential and he was indeed powerful. Well, it was the twisted potential of the Sith, but still.... In TESB he "released" one of his officers even not staying in the same room. It was scary enough to watch it. So I don't think these abilities are affected by the injuries he received in ROTS (as Yoda was the greatest Jedi being actually the smallest of them all). Also, Anakin choked Padme with his mechanical hand in ROTS and this was twice symbolical: first time as the fact that indeed Vader and not Anakin is doing this and second, that his mechanical limbs are not obstacles to his abilities to use the Force. If we talk about his combat abilities, well, it is a little complicated here, because mechanical limbs are mechanical limbs, after all. He would be even more terrifying duelist if he was .. whole. But I think that about the first issue, he was always the more powerful if we compare him to his son. Actually Luke beat him only because Vader was in conflict and didn’t really want to defeat him, he wanted his son on his side. But it is true that these abilities grow with the experience and stay untouched by the age (as the power of the Emperor in ROTJ) so I don't know if Luke couldn't reach the abilities of his dad in Ep.8.

Banana-Wan Kenobi likes this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Anakin is not a Force god nor would he be had he reached his full potential. Mortis is a place/realm where the Force and its effects are magnified, and the point of Anakin handling both the Son and Daughter was a symbolic clue to his destiny as the Chosen One (to bring balance to the Force).

Either way, one can say that Anakin did reach is full potential in the end:

[​IMG]

Master_Rebado and mikeximus like this.
  13. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Wasn't that the cover to The novel Jedi trial(I lost the dust jacket During a move Years ago).

14. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
    He was a force god, lucas literally made him a direct jesus analogy with virgin birth. Mortis feat was more than symbolic as only Anakin had the power within him to subdue the son and daughter. The Father asked Anakin to take his place and replace him but he turned it down which was akin to jesus turning down gods offer to sit at his throne etc....

Also nothing has been shown in canon that says Ben has same poetential anakin had, in fact its opposite with Rey directly saying he would never be as powerful as Darth Vader(who wasnt near Anakin at full poetential)

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Christ isn't the only mythological person to be born from a divine source. Anakin was strong in the Force, but as Qui-gon and the Father states, the planet amplifies their power and it is only on Mortis could the Father and Anakin force the children into submission. And that is because of how strong in the Force the two of them are. Anakin's children and his grandson have that same potential and thus if they were there, they could do the same thing.

And as to Rey, she says, "You...you're afraid...that you will never be as strong as...Darth Vader!" She never said that he will not be as powerful as him. Ben is afraid that he will never live up to his grandfather's legacy. But Snoke must believe that he could be, otherwise, he wouldn't have spent years watching Ben and waiting for the moment to turn him. And he wouldn't have ordered Hux to find him and bring him in so that his training can be completed.

Bernie Skywalker likes this.
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    We saw it on Mortis. Anakin's full potential was equal to The Father who, in canon, is the most powerful Force user ever.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    First, I don't consider Christ a 'myth'. Secondly, the comparison of Ani as a Christ-figure in SW does have merit but I personally find it distasteful because Anakin was corrupted, Christ is not.

Banana-Wan Kenobi and Tonyg like this.
  18. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016

I think the path of Anakin was the path of the human; he is a sinner who was redeemed. He looks to me as the prodigal son, because he returns to the right path in the end.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I concur that is a much more accurate and fitting description of the character too. :) I think the Christ aspects often come in with the 'chosen' title, his great power, the awe some hold him in and the fact he seems the doorway figure regarding Redemption.

20. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I also think that this for the chosen one in SW is misconception, no matter that Lucas himself insisted that being the chosen one doesn't mean being without flaws. Anakin is the chosen one because he is the one who must fulfill the prophecy but it doesn't mean that he cannot fail; that couldn't derail of his path. As Samson, who has the powers but failed, for example.
    We discussed in another thread exactly that theme: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...onceived-by-the-force.50039336/#post-53346854

21. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Anakin was very powerful, but what fascinates me more is not his level of power, but his level of connection to the galaxy as a whole. The most remarkable thing about Anakin is that he is intimately tied to the universe, and whatever state or period he is in in his life, the films mirror that in their depiction of the galaxy. I understand that's for art reasons (and, as an aside, partially why I believe the films should have stopped with his death as intended), but if we take that as a canonical truth, which Episode 1 suggests it is, then that suggests that Anakin is perhaps the most important single figure in the galaxy's history, because of his mysterious connection to the universe.

22. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Anakin symbolical role as the sentinel (i.e. knight-protector) is obvioys for me. First he was the protector of the Republic: not only as part of the Jedi Order but as the protector of Padme (her fate obviously represents the fate of the Republic). Then he fell and become the dark protector of the Empire but in the end he fullfilled his mission to put the things right. So during the whole trilogy he was always the sentinel, but when he deviated from his path, the world collapsed. For me, being the chosen one is strongly connected with his role as protector. Actually, he reached his real full potential when he did the impossible: come back from the darkness.

minnishe likes this.
  23. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Disagree here. The reason why The Father brought Anakin to Mortis was because Anakin was the chosen one. Once Anakin brings the children to their knees, Father clearly states that only the chosen one could have done it.(this is TCW's way of confirming that Anakin is the Chosen One)

So I don't believe that Luke or Leia, or any other Skywalker (besides of course Anakin) could have done what was done on Mortis. No matter how powerful they were.

Edit: Forgot to finish my thought...

Luke, Leia, Ben could not be as powerful as Anakin, IMO. That's not to say that they themselves aren't extremely powerful.

Anakin was a product of the Force itself. Whereas Luke and Leia are a product of Anakin and Padme. Luke and Leia's abilities would be diluted because of Padme. Could we quantify them as being half as powerful as Anakin? No, I wouldn't say that, but, I have to think that Luke and Leia are not the same as their Father, who was the pure source...

24. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    For my thought, returning to the original point that the OP has stated that how would he be if Anakin had reached his true potential, as a Jedi.
    Firstly, he would be a Jedi Master, and would eventually end up succeeding Mace Windu as the Master of the Order (well he can’t be Grand Master cuz he’s not old enuff).
    He would then be the best, the most powerful Jedi ever in the Jedi order. He would learn and master all the seven forms of Lightsaber Combat. (tbh, it depends on his heart, if there is still dark side in his heart he might not be able to master form VII as good as Mace Windu because he might give in to his anger, lolol).
    He’d probably be hailed not just as “Hero with no fear” but with something like “Greatest Jedi of All time” or “The savior of the Republic and the Force”. The Order of the Sith Lords would have been ended because Mace Windu would have killed Palpatine (Darth Sidious).
    BUT, he could have reached his potential as the Sith Lord Darth Vader (Of course without that suit). If he does so, there are consequences. First, he kills Obi-Wan (NOOOO), then if it did Luke and Leia would be in deep trouble. Yoda might not have made his exile on Dagobah, but stayed on Tatooine to protect Luke as Obi-Wan did in the gap between the prequels and the original trilogy. Yoda would protect Luke at all costs, and eventually trained him to be a full-fledged Jedi Knight. They would have journeyed to the Death Star I. Yoda might be able to avoid Vader aboard the Death Star, due to his strong Super-Duper connection with the force. Or he confronts the non-suited Vader at his full potential, and maybe, kill him, or be defeated.

The second scenario is that his duel with Obi-Wan ends in a draw (he didn’t jump to allow Obi-Wan to mou-kei him) and he retreats at that point, everything would be the same except that Obi-Wan would be slaughtered on their duel aboard the Death Star I, because Obi-Wan hasn’t got in a vicious lightsaber combat for 19 years during his exile, while Vader would have a lot to kill. And if he doesn’t require that suit he’s likely to defeat Palpatine long before the events of The New Hope. Even if he doesn’t, he will survive the Return of The Jedi, well because he doesn’t depend on electronics and other things the Emperor made him wear. And Emperor’s force lightning alone for that period in ROTJ is probably not enough to kill Anakin Skywalker.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Lucas is the one who said that the children of Anakin could be as powerful as he was. That's why Vader wanted to turn him and why Palpatine went along with it. This would then extend to Ben.