main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How serious should Episode VII be!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jimstarwarsfan, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    A lot of people don't like the book The New Rebellion but I felt that it kind of presented a darker and more gritty kind of Star wars universe. I too would prefer a more gritty Star Wars but not so much that [Insert First Name] Skywalker becomes the James Bond of the Star Wars universe ;)
    Still the investment is coming from Disney and Disney will expect return on that investment so I think they will follow the money and make it primarily for younger children.

2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I don't think so. We forget that people are still making more offspring. With new generations comes new interests. The PT had a grand total of five minutes of what people consider Darth Vader, and it still came out way on top. I get lots of people didn't like it, but the very vocal dislikers make us forget about the masses who still enjoyed those films. I think Star Wars will very easily survive without Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker. It's not a specific character that made Star Wars what it was, but the simple fact that it made you want to invest and care about those characters. I think it can very easily survive. Naturally I hope it does so with really good quality, but honestly they can still easily make lots of money with lower quality work than I would even desire.

3. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Story of the Star Wars franchise... I do agree with the fact that a specific or iconic character didn't make Star Wars so popular, it is the background/story of the characters which make it so powerful. But at the same time, there are a ton of people out there who only like Star Wars because of a specific person. That's why I think the PT got such bad rap, was not only because of Jar Jar and his annoying-ness, but because Han, Lando, Leia etc did not exist in those movies. The fans of the franchise (myself included) will appreciate Star Wars no matter what they decide to do, and I think if the future of the franchise is done correctly, people will stay intrigued, and JJ Abrams has a ton riding on his shoulders :)

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Fixed it for you:p ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    For the most part and with several significant examples, Star Wars has always had a good mix of humor, and seriousness. Their stories have naturally played into both humor and drama. If you try to make a SW movie focusing on one of those aspects, then the movie or certain characters will suck (i.e, Jar Jar Binks). Just allow the movie to be made with the initial story line and the proper mix will show up in the final cut. I have faith in the current writer and director.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Jar Jar doesn't suck because of a focus on an aspect, he sucks because he's a horrible, ill conceived, character.

The new movies could certainly put characters in that are meant to be comedic relief, and they could work. If they are good characters. That's the difference. The quality of the character.

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    You see, there is a problem with the viewpoint of the PT did bad because it didn't have the character people knew. There are actually a couple of problems with it.

1. The PT did not do poorly. Now I may not have personally enjoyed it as much as the OT, but the PT did far from poorly. It did pretty well, and there are actually a whole lot of people that enjoyed those films. We forget that though because those who disliked them make a really big ruckus over it. I try and stay out of the discussion for the most part.

2. What made the PT bad for those who did not like it had very little to do with missing old characters. For me it had everything to do with choppy storytelling and some really stiff acting. What I loved were qualities that were not even in the OT. I think the idea that there are a ton of people who only like Star Wars because of one character is a pretty big exaggeration. If that were the case then we would have seen empty theaters after Episode I.

I agree Abrams has a lot on his shoulders with this project. I think the biggest thing he will need to remember is that for all the flack Lucas go with the PT, there were loads of folks who really enjoyed them, and they still made an insane amount of money.

8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    DO: Strike a balance between seriousness and light *but not too light* hearted fun. Example: Avengers and Star Trek 2009
    DONT: Stick yourself strictly to one side *Like all serious/dark like TDK, or all campy kiddy light stuff*. Also dont flip flop between tones. Dont go from one scene being slapstick humor to the next being a dark, depressing scene to right back to the slapstick then over to a totally unrelated tone *you get the point*. Keep it consistant. If a dramatic scene is happening, you then cut to another dramatic scene not a scene that is the total opposite.

Ryus and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  9. Axys

Axys Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    Exactly!! It all depends on the director and writers...

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    We have a few threads that cover this topic without being setups for basher/gusher battles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.