main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How sexist are male twi'leks and other questions?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Twilek_Aide, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twilek_Aide

Twilek_Aide Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2002
    According to the Wookiepedia and Star Wars: The NEW Essential Guide to ALIEN SPECIES book, twi'lek society is male dominate. Just how sexist are they and are there any more sources other than dark horse comics? I wouldn't be surprised if the sources stopped there, considering the subject taboo. But if there is other references I'd like to know where. I'm re-writing a fanon take on twi'lek culture through the viewpoint of a character and her clan. I'm also wondering how far that sexism would extend, just to female twi'leks or all females in general?

Other questions; Would it be possible to have multi-coloured skin if the twi'lek parents were two different colours (Aqua and Purple in my fic)? You see I created three sisters. I wanted the oldest daughter to be a genetic mutation except not Lethan (not red). The middle daughter has purple skin but it's a richer shade than her father's, matching her uncle's (her father's brother) instead. The youngest daughter has aqua skin, same as her mother.

Okay so speculation, theories?

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, since this is a fanfic, it's really up to you how male-dominated you want the culture to be. Give it your own spin, make it unique. That's the beauty of fanfic; you can adhere to source material if you want, but you are also free to do whatever you want and add your own insights.

As for the multicolor skin... Yep, do it. There are many a Twi'lek in canon with mottled skin, including Suu Lawquane's hybrid daughter, Shaeeah.

3. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    Nice answer. Thank you.

4. nostalgia

nostalgia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2011
    Just to be of assistance, male twi'leks were extremely sexist, and woman were oppressed quite often.

For example, all twi'leks are born with sharp and jagged teeth. In order to prevent them from becoming a threat, the teeth of women were painfully ground down until they were flat and harmless. It was also a highly common occurrence for women to be sold into slavery and forced to work as scarcely clothed dancers.

Some sources: The Diversity Alliance story arc of The Young Jedi Knights series. Nolaa Tarkona, the leader of The Diversity Alliance often reflected on her being harshly treated as a female twi'lek and even reminisces about her sister Oola (the green twi'lek working in Jabba's palace from Episode VI). Also check out her wookiepedia page.

Alema Rar's early life is also a good indication.

When it comes to the culture of a canonical species, I as a reader, love to see some accuracy when the culture is being written and depicted. It means a lot to me. I respect putting your own creative spin on it and all, but I would really push for maintaining the essence of the culture the way a fanfic writer would maintain the personality of an especially significant character.

5. Twilek_Aide

Apr 21, 2002
    Oh, I agree. But I want to find a balance so it sounds more fictional than factual. Which was my problem last time: http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/30819370/r30851737/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.