main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How should the character arcs of Jaina, Ben, and Allana have ended?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The Jedi Queen is a dream that Darth Krayt would go to every length to prevent. The Throne of Balance belongs to him. With his emergence in 44 ABY, we would see an increase in the One Sith activity in the Galaxy. Only with Allana and Tenel Ka dead would Krayt return to stasis, the future of the Jedi Queen being completely erased.

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke states at one point the Jedi will actively search for the new Sith. So I imagine Krayt and his subordinates will flee back to Korriban, except for the necessary spies, informants and occasional movers and shakers.

There is an 82 year gap between the end of Crucible and the beginning of the Sith Imperial War. There is no evidence the One Sith did anything major or overt during that time.

3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    The Throne of Balance was headache inducing for me.

Then again I remember a comment that Troy Denning was actively trying to make Legacy non-canon and so the events never took place. He wanted his own way of the storyline (and we got what we got, which annoys me).

The Solo-Skywalkers got kicked around after NJO, good characters turned stupid. Everything post-NJO I'd like to forget but here we are stuck with it.

I don't want Ben anywhere near Vestara. The last thing the Skywalkers needed is another Sith in the family.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Why not a redeemed Sith?

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I had my fill of Sith a long time ago.

I was fine with them in Legacy (except Legacy II) because it was 100+ years after Palpatine was dead.

Then along came Lumiya (and then Vergere got retconned), then came the Lost Tribe, and while they were at it - Lomi Plo and Welk retconned to Sith.

I was just Sith-ed out by the time FOTJ ended that Vestara being dead at the end was fine with me. Then suddenly I wished Krayt and the One Sith didn't happen.

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    When did Denning say he wanted to decanonize Legacy? Is there an exact statement to that effect or a fan interpretation of some interview.

As little respect Del Rey showed Legacy and its authors and characters I don't think Lucasfilm would let them get away with blatantly ignoring or rewriting it.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Denning talked about how he saw it as "one of many possible futures."

I don't think DR or LFL would have let him decanonize it... and Denning himself could have just been playing with people, since he did go out of his way to help set-up Legacy (even if he did it in the "ugliest" ways possible).

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    From a 2012 interview with Roqoo Depot:

I just... I just can't. I'm not as critical of Denning as most at this forum are, but this comment and this attitude... no. Just, no. I find it to be incredibly disrespectful to John & Jan, and also very suggestive of its speaker not actually understanding how EU canon worked.

Is it coming from the fallacious idea that novels were the supreme canon and that comics are secondary? Who knows. Was it based on the (again, fallacious) idea that the Legacy comics creatively boxed the Del Rey writers in? Who knows. Whatever its cause, it's simply not. how. EU canon. worked. Legacy was not a possible future. It was the future. The people at Del Rey, Dark Horse, and Lucasfilm did know that. Denning was apparently the only one who didn't.

If someone wrote a series just set just after the NJO, could they treat Dark Nest as a possible future? Absolutely not. And it would be the exact same situation.

Denning's a better author than many here give him credit for; I liked his post-NJO/pre-FOTJ novels despite not liking the direction they were taking the story, I read and enjoyed one of his Forgotten Realms trilogies, and he's always been very professional and a treat to interact with on forums and on Facebook, but I wouldn't be cool with anyone treating Legacy like that. Even Luceno.

(Incidentally, Luceno acknowledged in a couple of pre-2014 interviews that Legacy would indeed one day start to shape the story that the novels were telling, so everything's good gravy there)

9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

I think he was just trying to put some 'drama' into the novels, ie; just cause things are in legacy they may not end up like that.

(also novels and comics have clashed since the start of the EU, remember that Dark Empire was meant to right after Endor but Zahn said no to having anything to do with the story)

I think if the Darth Maul game had been made it would have created a very interesting cannon.

10. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Or the One Sith simply used their agents and Sith Lords to waylay or kill any Jedi that came searching. You say that Luke and his Jedi went looking for the One Sith and yet they found nothing at all. Luke himself went to Korriban and entered the One Sith's headquarters. And sensed nothing. The One Sith have ways of hiding that the Jedi cannot detect at all.

11. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    There was between 1,000 - 10,000 Sith Lords of the One Sith. It is highly doubtful they were easily all eradicated. After Krayt's final death, they scattered around to rebuild and work more along the lines of how Darth Bane's Order brought about the destruction of the Republic a 1,000 years later, or wait around for like 300 years to strike again in full force against the Old Republic and Jedi like Malgus under the Sith Emperor.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I hated that Golden had that scene in Ascension. But sense it's canon than will have to look at it as Krayt and his followers apparently were able to conceal their existence and dark side signature.

That is a big issue though in Post-Crucible Legends there is still a substantial amount of time before Legacy but not enough that Post NJO characters can live and die without affecting events in the future. Sort of like Revan is so far in the past he didn't directly recruit or meet Bane. Or a RL example that people who are 40 in 1945 plausibly being alive in 2020.

The time span is substatial nearly a century but not truly a epic span of time by any means.

Legends characters such as Lowbacca and any long lived aliens or force enhanced Jedi masters plausibly should still be living.

Also on the broader political scale according to Del Rey and what we gain from official sources is that relations begin to cool between the Fel Empire and GA some other political transitions and shifts occur but apparently there is no major conflict.

I just find it difficult to imagine how they would have filled in this era.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm pretty sure that the One Sith simply hid deeper in the planet. They're hardly going to stay where they were and risk a concealment spell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Really? I was convinced in that scene that the One Sith were right there, hiding in that exact citadel, just out of sight. And Luke in his utter arrogance didn't think to search the citadel, since he thought he sensed nothing. On Korriban. Where the Dark Side of the Force clouds everything. Mind you, if Luke, Ben, Jaina and Vestara had found the One Sith, they all would have died. Thirty genuine Dark Lords of the Sith would kill even the Grand Master and the Sword of the Jedi.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    If all four of them died on Korriban in a Sith ambush(as powerful as Luke is I doubt that somehow but whatever) the Jedi would have come out in force to investigate.

16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Which is likely the only reason Luke and company were allowed to leave Korriban alive.

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Luke is about as close to a Demi God besides the ones and celestials as well. With Ben and Jaina(the last most last powerful skywalkers) and Vestara. I'm not so sure they wouldn't end up killing all of the One Sith there and then.

18. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    A lot could happen, just one Sith has to capture Ben and Luke will surrender. Or maybe even Vestara switches sides again.
    And while Luke is powerfull he is also getting old.

19. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Unlikely. Luke is mortal. Lumiya almost killed him at Roqoo Depot. Jacen fought him to a near-draw on the Anakin Solo.

Darth Krayt with the help of Darth Wyyrlok's Force Illusions could kill Luke Skywalker.

AusStig likes this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I hate to sound like a Luke fanboy but FOTJ era Luke is exceedingly powerful, dozens of feats, Anakin's potential realized and just all around almost invincible.

I can't imagine the bragging rights for the Sith that could say "I killed Luke Skywalker."

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Any new thoughts on wrapping-up the stories of Jaina, Ben, and Allana?

22. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I stopped buying post-Return of the Jedi novels when it became clear they were turning Jacen to the dark side, so I don't really have a lot of opinions on Ben Skywalker or Allana. Jaina's character arc should have ended side-by-side with Jacen's; as old Jedi Masters overseeing a New Jedi Order (that's actually New and isn't hapharzadly grafting on prequel material as it was revealed) that brings about a new thousand year peace for the Republic.

Oh well.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Allana I think must become Jedi queen and ruler of a golden age.

Ben should become grand master, and sire children. With whom is still up for debate. I think it would be appropriate for it to be Vestara.

Jaina probably founded or was involved in the founding of the IKs and was of course Imperial empress.

PCCViking likes this.
  24. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    This is how their three arcs would have ended, as well as the Galaxy at large during that time frame.

Vestara, in service to the One Sith now, would infiltrate the Hapan Fountain Palace, and, at a great royal ceremony, would assassinate Queen Mother Tenel Ka. Allana would then be forced to give up her Jedi training and become the Hapan Princess, guided and aided by the members of the Lorellian Court. Having identified Vestara in the chaos following the attack but unable to apprehend her, the Jedi would dispatch a team of Jedi led by Ben and a pregnant Jaina to hunt down Vestara.

Eventually, the Jedi would find Vestara and several expendable members of the One Sith, led by White Eyes. Clad in voduun crab armor, White Eyes would fight Jaina Solo while Ben fought Vestara. Jaina would win her fight, but just barely and Vestara would defeat Ben and proceed to try to kill Jaina with Force Lightning. A groggy Ben would come to in time to see Jaina on the brink of death. Making a final choice, Ben would kill Vestara to save Jaina.

The Jedi would believe that the armored Sith Lord that Luke encountered Beyond Shadows was killed by Jaina and that his nascent Sith Order was wiped out. Jaina, done with risking her life on missions with the Jedi, would walk away from the Jedi, having almost lost her child. Han and Leia would never forgive her for this, and would declare their last child to be dead.

Jaina would join Jag in the Imperial Remnant, and in time, would become the Empress to his Emperor, after Vitor Reige contracted a rare but incurable strain of Knowt's Disease. Though no evidence was found of poison, Jagged Fel always suspected Natasi Daala and Drikl Lecersen of being complicit, and after the Imperial Knights were founded by Jaina, he arranged for both of them to perish under the guise of accidents. This was the start of the Imperial Knight's slow slide to the Dark Side that culminated in Roan Fel trying to kill all of the beings on Coruscant.

Allana lived a long, happy life and brought Hapes into the galactic spotlight, using it's resources to spread peace and prosperity to all of the Galaxy's impoverished and suffering quarters. With Jaina and Luke both gone, Ben Skywalker would eventually wed Seha Dorvald in an arranged marriage orchestrated by the Jedi Council to keep the Skywalker lineage alive. Ben accepted the marriage as part of his duty, but never grew to truly love Seha, for his heart had always belonged to Vestara. Luke Skywalker was never seen again, but one day, Ben felt his father become one with the Force and knew that the greatest Jedi in history was dead.

Xammer and PCCViking like this.