main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How should Vader be handled in the series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Vader wants what being a Sith offers, nothing more.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, beside the good in him, he wants to share the power with the one he loves, rule with the one he loves. Those crimes he made didn't bring him joy, only increased his pain.

minnishe and V-2 like this.
  3. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Power is a means to achieve what he wants to do, he does not crave dominance over all as Sidious does.

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Many Sith also thinks power is a mean, Plagueis made it clear, but Vader lacks of the nerve and cold blood to totally give up his love for his main goal.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hm, he still wants to rule the galaxy. He is not a 100% psychopath, but he has a very strong narcisstic streak. It also shows in the, erm, dramatic fashion he does things.

And we love him for it.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    He only wants to rule because he feels ruling through totalitarian means is the only way to bring about peace & security. He pretty much says that in AOTC when talking to Padme

V-2 likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Which is at least partially a smokescreen to hide his own greed. On some level he must be aware that he would suck at paperworks and politics. But at least he does still feel the need to rationalize. Palpatine doesn't.

Totalitarian leaders are always narcisstic. They have to be to believe they know better than everyone else how the galaxy should be ruled.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Many Sith also has such view.

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    When you think about it it really is incredible that Vader even believed for one second that Padme would just merrily go along with his becoming a Sith Lord. It's astonishing stupidity on his part.

V-2 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    True... but that's not an uncommon attitude in fiction where people do bad things. "But I did it all for YOU! Isn't it the thought that counts?"

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This is why I think he didn't really love her all that much back then. He did all these atrocious things for her but never asked her of her opinion, showing blatant disrespect. Maybe the noble goal of rescuing Padmé was an excuse to indulge his lust for power. Then, when she refused to be controlled by him, he choked her.

This little theory of mine makes him look a bit less stupid and quite a bit more greedy.

12. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Anakin was always a pretty emotional guy in stressful situations. so i am thinking stupidity

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Ah, that's Anakin's who control power trip which he's been on since before the Clone War ("Well, if it works"). He wants to make things right for her. He wouldn't ask her opinion because what is right for him (which is her) is the only way it can go. His feelings are automatically her feelings, in his head, which is also greed anyway. Which came to a head when he started Force-choking her because she didn't do exactly what he wanted her to do. Dark side corrupts absolutely and all that.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You've got to remember Anakin was fairly immature in the relationship department. It's why I feel that the AOTC romance works somewhat. I can see Anakin being that awkward.

Being in the Jedi Temple since the age of ten, he's pretty much had one relationship. There's no guidelines for him, he's not got any experience.

Their relationship was always going to be a destructive one because there wasn't enough emotional stability there. It was the easiest thing Palps has ever done to manipulate it.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The old Jedi also had quite a few problems, actually Anakin was too old for them to totally teach to be a typical old Jedi.

07jonesj likes this.
  16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I hope this isn't the case in the series. Maybe at first, Vader lacks "the nerve and cold blood", but gradually he cuts his ties to his past, ending with him killing Ahsoka in the end and becoming a man that will do whatever it takes to become more power, destroy the Emperor and in turn, become the Emperor himself.

Besides, it was Luke that reignited Vader's love in the end.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, even in OT he tried so hard, claiming that he cut ties to his past but in truth he never was able to do it, he was keep trying to avoid and forget his past rather than face it and make the decision to either return to the light or completely fall to the darkness. Because there was good in him so he could not really enjoy the Dark Side and all those crimes like real Sith, they brought him more pain than joy. The only time he could finally face it, was when he threw Palpatine off to save Luke, I don't think it's going to change in Rebels.

minnishe likes this.
  18. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I believe he should be used sparingly. We shouldn't have him in our face every episode, rather being a character we'll be looking forward to seeing. Same goes for lightsabre battles. The things we are seeing every episode aren't things that are special, and if you overexpose a character that character becomes mundane and might turn out to be an annoyance in the end.

V-2, Togruta and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    He was born into slavery, its all he knows. He was Gardulla's slave, Watto's slave, a slave to his mother (who else would protect her?), a slave to Padme's affection, a slave to Obi-Wan's approval, and a slave -for decades- to the most evil being in the galaxy. (I will admit, he offered to kill Palpatine for Padme, so they could rule together. But that is something I never believed. He was high on the dark side.) Vader was a perpetual follower. He stopped being a slave the moment he let go of his guilt.
    I'd like an Imperial adversary each season, much like Admiral Zhao from A:TLA if you know the example. I'd like some Tarkin, as well. He was such a bastard in his TCW cameos. But yeah, Imperial OCs!
    [​IMG]

Togruta likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Your argument about Vader doesn't work because he did kill the Jedi and Padmé, to a big part because he didn't like being controlled and powerless. Which is only natural for a former slave.

Ahsoka wasn't overexposed as she was only in a couple episodes last season. She's not Wolverine.

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Agreed.

But I have a feeling that they are looking to blend Dark Times with this new show.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    As much as it pains me to say this, but yes, they should use him sparingly.

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Some worry that Filoni and co will ruin Vader like they ruined Grievous for most of TCW.

There is a difference: All SW authors, writers etc. respect Vader. Especially the main SW creator - Lucas. The reason Grievous suffered in the 2008 series is cause Lucas did not care or respect or love the character of Grievous anymore and did not care what happened to him. The fact that Lucas insisted that Grievous be the one (Filoni opposed the idea) to be humiliated in Shadow Warrior proves how little he cared for Grievous. I am so sad what Lucas turned Grievous into.

Lucas, Filoni and so on love Vader. I do not give a dung anymore for Vader. Over the years he has been illustrated as the biggest putzes in the Star Wars universe, but if I like him or not does not matter.
    Vader in REBELS will be fine. I am sure an OT fan like Filoni will try his absolute best to keep the scary image of the Sith Lord and will not make fans mad. I am sure he knows that fans will be the most judging of how the OT characters are handled. Among those, Vader is the most famous so it is natural and expected.

So... he will be fine! Fans worry too much.

Just like Grievous was, but with more respect for the individual we speak of.
    Maybe he will be treated like Grievous post-"Massacre" - almost all wins with tiny losses.

Darth Vader likes this.
  24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah, Vader got his ass kicked in quite a few EU.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Like what aside from The Force Unleashed games

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.